• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 Hot Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

undefind

Registered
hello everyone,

about 6 years ago i bought the following which i am still using now:

E8400 C0 no OC (HWINFO64 shows BIOS version 6.0 PG)
ABIT IP35 PRO
Corsair H60 Hydro Series water cooler
GeForce GTX 260
CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX (just ordered 2 more sticks for 8GB total yesterday)

im sure im forgetting something, but my setup has long surpassed its peak usefulness and i am considering some overclocking. in preparation i ran prime, hw monitor, realtemp, and hw info64 to set a baseline for temp increases. the problem is i am running about 51C idle and 66 under load. i have read in numerous places on this forum that this cpu has always had problems with its sensors. with the water cooler i am fairly certain the readings are either wrong or i need to do some serious cleaning. i am pretty sure i need to clean out the case, all components, possibly zip tie a new fan, and reapply paste but i wanted to ensure the sensors were functioning properly first. so i was wondering did the high temp problems ever get fixed?

thanks

I have recently OC'd one of these and the sensors seemed OK to me. This was on a newer board GA-EP45-UDR3. All the measures you prescribed are a good prequel to OCing any way. I was going to suggest re-applying paste since it's been so long. Get all the dust bunnies out of it and make sure your fans are cranked up. How's you case flow. As a quick test try it with the side panel off, then you'll know if the Cooler is getting sufficient air.

thanks for the quick reply. i am running prime right now and its reading about 3-6 degrees cooler with the side panel off. the case i am using is Rosewill R5604-BK 0.8mm Japanese Cold Rolled Steel Dual 120mm Fans Screw-Less design ATX Mid Tower. i guess the airflow definitely had something to do with it. im not really sure how to remedy that though. cables are everywhere and i have tried to zip tie and route them as efficiently as i can. i have a fan that pops into a PCI slot but if you know the layout of my board you would know it isnt really helping the CPU as much as the GPU. the only thing i can think of to do is either attach a fan to the side panel pointing it to the cpu, meaning i would have to unplug it everytime i need to get inside, or zip tie a fan somehow.

anyway, i hear what you are saying when you say my temps are ok before OC'ing, but i really wanted to know what my true temps are since i want to know how far i can push it if i decide to do that.

thanks again.

edit: forgot to mention that the portion the cooler attaches to the cpu is slightly warm to the touch. not hot at all.

i went ahead and installed uguru and the temp readings are more in line with what my bios says so im going to go ahead and stick with that. next step is trying to find some compressed air.

i had a question though. i have read a lot of places prefer 90 percent iso for removing paste but all i can get my hands on is 70. is 70 enough as long as i properly dry the solution or should i try something else?

Back