• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 Low Vcore Overclock/Break in?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zhut

Hello everyone I have been working on dropping my vcore on my E8400(summer temps can get up there) and was surprised at the results. I am wondering if these are unusual as I had always kept my vcore on auto (kept it around 1.28ish when on auto). I have pushed the chip some in the past and I am wondering if the pushing may lead to "break in" for higher clocks at lower vcore? Is this a possibility? Vcore seems to be quite low for the mhz. I will continue to do more tests to see what the chip can do. I have been dropping the vcore a step each night and running Prime overnight to check stability, so far so good. I am surprised it has done so well so far. It has been fun.

Attachments

• 42vcore.jpg
    42vcore.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 472
That is a cherry chip. Ram it up to 500mhz and bump that voltage up. You should be able to hit 4.5ghz daily. Dont know why you are messing around at under 1.2v, that is nothing. I push 1.53v through mine for 6 months without an issue :D

I was trying to get 4.2ghz stable last night at 1.25 last night an it thought that was good. holly crap man, thats one heck of a chip. Lets just hope the voltage requirments don't ramp up too quickly!

is one core way behind the other on the 14K test there?

I hope it's the voltage sensors that are out in left field and not the PSU! 10v for 12v and 5.7 on the 5v line!

I second the motion that you've got one hell of a chip, you better enjoy yourself with that :D

NICE CHIP !

Agreed with bob, PSU reading are bad ... 10.x for 12v and 5.8 for the 5v !

My quad run 3.825 with 1.2vcore ;) not bad for a quad ! yours is just awesome !

These E Intel chips are quite nice. I'm at the lowest vcore setting I can make on this DFI board for the mild overclock with stock cooling. (CPU-Z 1.040v idle and Orthos 1.168v).

That is a cherry chip. Ram it up to 500mhz and bump that voltage up. You should be able to hit 4.5ghz daily. Dont know why you are messing around at under 1.2v, that is nothing. I push 1.53v through mine for 6 months without an issue :D

Thank you all for the nice comments!

This is an exceptional point. The reason I have kept my clocks under 4.3 is because the only game I play cannot handle any clocks over 4.28mhz. Now I can certainly have some fun benching and running tests (which is a blast) but for 24/7 I would have to dial back the clocks when gaming. (kind of a boon to have a nice chip and have to dial it back to play my game, EQ). This is why my recent focus has been on tweaking while keeping around 4.2mhz.

I put up the HD monitor pic in the event someone might notice something out of whack, I am by no means a veteran so I figured someone would notice if something looked really wrong. The only confidence I have in the readings is that the PS is Corsair so I was not worried. Please advise if anything looks like it might explode.

I would still like to find the top end of this chip, and also to see how low in vcore it can go with a decent clock. Fun stuff. I am still learning but it is fun. The Tpower 10 setting bios saves are nice for figuring out what will work from what already is confirmed to work.

That is a beautiful clocker you have there. I bet you could hit 5GHz with both cores & only 1.6-1.65v. My chip runs 1.28Vcore @ 4GHz. Got it to 5GHz with one core disabled and 1.7v. Could only boot at 4.975GHz for dual-core SP runs. Enjoy that lovely piece of silicon!!

RE: PSU readings - you're fine. Load up Biostar's program to see more accurate readings (or use a DMM). No other programs get it right. You have nothing to worry about.

Thank you for the info, Hokiealumnus. I may try dropping the vcore another step tonight and run prime, it is gonna quit on me eventually. Lots of testing to do I will share results as I get around to running some tests.

Just a quick update, that was as low as I could get it to go at 4.2mhz. I ran Prime at 1.16vcore at 4.21 and it failed around 4 hours into prime. Oh well not bad. I have been having fun with this chip and set up.

My E8500 E0 will fail anything below 1.312v at 4208mhz. :mad: I'm curious to know what is your VTT and PLL voltage, maybe there is a connection between vcore... :eek:

1.312 @ 4.2ghz is still quite good, nothing to be upset about there qq. It took me 1.53v to hit 4.3ghz on my E8400.

I found that c2duo was VERY picky about VTT. Too much and it would fail, too little it would fail, it took alot of tweaking. PLL didnt matter nearly as much at VTT and GTLRef.

My E8500 E0 will fail anything below 1.312v at 4208mhz. :mad: I'm curious to know what is your VTT and PLL voltage, maybe there is a connection between vcore... :eek:

Sorry for not responding sooner. My PLL voltage is 1.5 (in bios) and VTT (I think this is FSB voltage?) if so is 1.37

Attachments

• volts2.jpg
    volts2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 339
  • Volts3.jpg
    Volts3.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 340
Back