• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ebay Help/advice please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
DON'T BUY IT, ALL TRANSACTIONS OUTSIDE OF EBAY HAVE 0 FRAUD PROTECTION!!!!
Sorry for the cap's but that needed to be seen. :)

Total Scam. Never buy anything that expensive from someone with that low a feedback rating anyway. The whole "Second Chance Offer" thing is just a pathetic attempt to scam as many people as possible.

I got burned through Ebay once and I got half my money back through Ebay fraud protection, but it was not a fun process. Don't risk it ever.

peterhoang1988 said:
i wouldnt buy anything from anyone on ebay if they had less than 50 feedback.

That's the attitude that hurts people like me. I recently joined Ebay for a chance to sell some hardware I don't use anymore, and so far, it's costing me more that I would like to list, and then RE-list the same hardware because no one ends up buying from me because I'm new and have 0 feedback. What about giving people a chance, huh?

However, I do agree on the fact that if some item on Ebay costs a lot less than it should, it may be a scam.

Paul1 said:
That's the attitude that hurts people like me. I recently joined Ebay for a chance to sell some hardware I don't use anymore, and so far, it's costing me more that I would like to list, and then RE-list the same hardware because no one ends up buying from me because I'm new and have 0 feedback. What about giving people a chance, huh?

However, I do agree on the fact that if some item on Ebay costs a lot less than it should, it may be a scam.

do i not have the right to take precautions? i could say that people with 0 feedback hurt me when i sell. more than often, people with 0 feedback dont take their bids seriously and often dont pay. sure, everyone has to start out somehow some way or another. its just, they're not gonna start off with me being the first customer.

i would like to clarify something. (dont take this wrong way, im not defending the potential scammer)

He has NOT received an outside-of-ebay offer. the OP has received a SECOND-CHANCE offer. it is something that is sent out THROUGH EBAY at the item's owner's command. I use the second chance offer all the time when i have multiple items to sell and i only want to reduce listing fees.

We all have our comfort levels. I know I feel more comfortable when I see a large number there, or even a moderate number with a 100% positive, but I personally wouldn't make that the limiting factor whe bidding. I'll buy off someone with a lower number of feedback because I too have a low feedback (9) because I use E-bay occasionally, not religiously. I put my trust in E-Bay's and PayPal's protection, and that the majority of people are decent people that are just trying to sell or buy a few things from time to time.

I'm not slamming you for comfort level, it's just don't try to force each other's comfort levels upon one another.

peterhoang1988 said:
do i not have the right to take precautions? i could say that people with 0 feedback hurt me when i sell. more than often, people with 0 feedback dont take their bids seriously and often dont pay. sure, everyone has to start out somehow some way or another. its just, they're not gonna start off with me being the first customer.

i would like to clarify something. (dont take this wrong way, im not defending the potential scammer)

He has NOT received an outside-of-ebay offer. the OP has received a SECOND-CHANCE offer. it is something that is sent out THROUGH EBAY at the item's owner's command. I use the second chance offer all the time when i have multiple items to sell and i only want to reduce listing fees.

I didn't mean act so hostile. It just ticks me off when people act condescending towards newbies anywhere.

godofgorks said:
We all have our comfort levels. I know I feel more comfortable when I see a large number there, or even a moderate number with a 100% positive, but I personally wouldn't make that the limiting factor whe bidding. I'll buy off someone with a lower number of feedback because I too have a low feedback (9) because I use E-bay occasionally, not religiously. I put my trust in E-Bay's and PayPal's protection, and that the majority of people are decent people that are just trying to sell or buy a few things from time to time.

I'm not slamming you for comfort level, it's just don't try to force each other's comfort levels upon one another.

But this is differnt, this is off the books, meaning he has NO protection what so ever. This is almost the same to what some scammers use, the chances of it being real are so low that if you are comfortable with this, how would you like to buy some magic bean? I have ones that grow really big!
Damn I can't spell oh noes where is teh speckcheckzor?

I didn't mean act so hostile. It just ticks me off when people act condescending towards newbies anywhere.

Its a Catch 22... You can't get a good feedback without people bidding on your items, and people don't wanna bid on items with low feedback.

Just stick it out, eventually someone will come by and smell a good deal and take a chance.

squasher said:
But this is differnt, this is off the books, meaning he has NO protection what so ever. This is almost the same to what some scammers use, the chances of it being real are so low that if you are comfortable with this, how would you like to buy some magic bean? I have ones that grow really big!
Damn I can't spell oh noes where is teh speckcheckzor?

peterhoang1988 said:

Paul1 said:

That's absurd. It is taking a risk with new users plain and simple. Would you put your money in a can and burry it or would you put your money in a FDIC insured bank. In a bank theres no risk, in the ground it may not be safe. The bank has a history of protecting the money it's customers deposit, the ground has no history of protecting your money and you put it there at your own risk...

Also as far as it costing you more money because your new with zero feedback is not exactly correct, thats because you don't understand the game. If nobody bids on your item you can relist it using Ebays free relist policy. Also if a buyer doesnt pay you get a full value insertion fee refund

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/questions/free-relist.html

Every Ebay user has to gain a reputation via the Feedback score, some buyers may be slow to pay, some seller may to slow to ship, some buyers might be difficult to deal with, some sellers might be out to screw you. The scenarios go on and on... But thats what the feedback is there for...

You need to start at the bottom and work your way up, the same goes for life in general.... A user with zero feedback, I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole unless the item had a value of a dollar...

Paul1 said:

It's life, you should deal with it and perhaps think about buying a few items that aren't high dollar, and build your feedback. My sister just opened an Ebay account and I gave her the same advise.

prw001 said:
Its a Catch 22... You can't get a good feedback without people bidding on your items, and people don't wanna bid on items with low feedback.

My reply above applies the same to your comment ;)

eaglescouter said:
Notify ebay that you received an offer from the seller and they will solve the problem. This is against the terms of agreement.

You are hesitating because it is too good to be true which means you are ripe to be ripped off. Walk away but notify ebay so this creep does not have the opportunity to rip anybody else off.
TOTALLY AGREE!!!!

Paul1: If you are selling computer hardware, why wouldn't you offer it in the Classifieds Section?

Because if it comes DOA in the mail I will look like an arsehole or something in front of everyone here. :shrug:

You can sell it for more on ebay most of the time from what I have seen. The reason I would sell here (I have not yet, but I have not sold anything on ebay either) is for ease of sale and speed.

the three word solution, cash on delivery but since we're sure this is a scam anyways it would be of no help

Back