• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ebay Issue... what should I do next?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dark_15

Drunken Master JNCIE Senior
I purchased and paid for a cell phone on eBay last week on April 18th via Paypal. I had broken my other one, and needed to get a new phone fast without paying too much for it.

HERE is an actual link to the phone I won.

Anyways, I got the package shipped to me rather quickly and went immediately to Verizon to get it activated. However, when I did activate it... it shows up on a database as a stolen cell phone! It was apparantley stolen about 3 years ago... and I am the unlucky one who tried to activate it. Since it was listed as stolen, Verizon refused to let me activate it unless I could contact the original owner of the phone and have them declare it not stolen.

So I shot off an email to the person I bought it from and am awaiting a response. This is terribly inconvenient to me since I have my computer systems @ work email my phone should anything ever go wrong. If he does not respond within a few days...

What should I do?

Sounds to me like you need to contact eBay or maybe even the feds, if he sent it to you via USPS services (interstate transportation of stolen goods).

muddocktor said:
Sounds to me like you need to contact eBay or maybe even the feds, if he sent it to you via USPS services (interstate transportation of stolen goods).
Well that's the thing, he has really good feedback, and why would he keep a stolen phone for three years? Maybe I'm naive or trying to make the best of the situation... but I doubt he'd purposely sell me a stolen phone. If he doesn't respond within a few days I will contact eBay.

And I'm sending a PM to SSS right now...

He perhaps got it from someone else and never used it - or this happens to be his first fraud attempt in hopes that people will see all of his great feedback and think "noooo, he wouldnt do that!"

Most ebayers just buy/sell stuff quickly. I bet he got it really cheap, didn't realize it was stolen, and is just trying to turn a profit.

Silversinksam said:
My advise is to wait and hear what the Ebay seller has to say before making a plan of your own actions ;)
Sounds good. I'll keep this thread updated if I hear anything else.

I went looking through his feedback and saw 1 other entry in his feedback about receiving a stolen phone. It said he refunded the money and if I remember right both mutually withdrew their feedback. Looking through his feedback history, it looks like he will leave you negative feedback if you leave him a negative. There were quite a few mutually withdrawn feedback entries in his history. I went scanning through about 1200 entries, looking at the withdrawn, negative and neutral ratings.

Just an update... I got an email back from the seller:

I am sorry for the problem - I purchase my inventory from reputable
suppliers to insure your complete satisfaction. I check all my phones but
some problems I cannot catch or occur after the test. Unfortunately with
used phones, a problem can happen at any time. However, I have a 100%
guarantee on all my phones so I am more than happy to exchange the phone
or refund your money, as you prefer. Again, I am sorry for the problem
and the trouble this has caused you.

Please send the phone back to me along with all the accessories and I will
take care of everything when I receive the phone. Please send the package
to:

*Address*

This information is important for me so that I know we talked and insures
you a prompt resolution. Again, please include a note with the
information detailed above.

I work hard to make all my customers happy, thus the 99+% Postive
Feedbacks, and I want to do the same for you. If there is anything more I
can do please let me know.

Again, I am sorry for the problems. Thanks for working with me on this.

Sincerely,

-J

Looks like it will work out after all..

dark_15 said:
Just an update... I got an email back from the seller:

Looks like it will work out after all..

I figured he would tell you that, to bad he didn't pay return postage, especially in lieu of selling stolen property. You would think he would want this to go away with as little fuss or fanfare as possible.

Silversinksam said:
I figured he would tell you that, to bad he didn't pay return postage, especially in lieu of selling stolen property. You would think he would want this to go away with as little fuss or fanfare as possible.
If I didn't need the phone ASAP, I would've raised a fuss. I'm prolly gonna leave him a neutral feedback mentioning the first phone was stolen.

dark_15 said:
If I didn't need the phone ASAP, I would've raised a fuss. I'm prolly gonna leave him a neutral feedback mentioning the first phone was stolen.

neutral feedback is the WORST THING you can post.. either post a negative or a positive because that kind of neutral will definitately get you a negativin return anyway.

Lionsault_100 said:
neutral feedback is the WORST THING you can post.. either post a negative or a positive because that kind of neutral will definitately get you a negativin return anyway.
Really? I thought neutral was meant for these situations? I'm not thrilled I had to return my phone b/c it was stolen... but he (hopefully) will send me a working phone; hence the neutral feedback.

*insert obligatory I'm an eBay noob sign here*

if you post a neutral you will get a neg in return,, so you might as well get your hot neg in anyway, or just leave nothing to protect your feedback

My advise is to not leave him feedback until he leaves you feedback. It has always irked me off that the sellers wait to see what your feedback is to dictate their actions. If a person pays quick and does nothing to earn a negative, they still may get a retaliatory negative from a seller.
Ebay condones retaliatory feedback even though they claim they do not allow it, they do NOTHING to prevent it, and do NOTHING to remove it.

The only option is Squaretrade where both members agree to have their feedback removed.

Well, I got he new phone on Friday. It is working well and I am happy. I am not leavin' feedback for this guy until I see any feedback for me. Thanks again for the advice!

Heh, I forgot about this thread, dark. I'm glad it worked out for you in the end. And I do remember checking several of the people that left him neutral feedback and he didn't bother to leave feedback for them. But Sam is right, don't leave any feedback at all to avoid getting a retaliatory feedback from him. He is definitely a retalitory feedback leaver and won't leave you any feedback first. What a dipstick. :rolleyes:

This seller doesn't seem to make it a habit of leaving retaliatory feedback, I looked at almost all his negatives.
~~~Hey, he sells stolen phones, but he doesn't seem to leave retaliatory feedback.

I think I found the one guy that is not the typical Ebay @ssclone, that sells stolen goods and leaves retaliatory feedback :beer:

Back