• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Edge Warning! How to fix the popup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgk

This happened to me today. I recently upgraded to Win10 and was trying to get to a Comcast site in order to find out how to get into my new router in order to set some things up. Anyway, I mistyped the address and entered something like xfinitiy.com/internethelp. That was supposed to be xfinity.com/internethelp but I added an extra I by accident. Well, suddenly I got a warning about a serious infection and that I needed to call some 866 number immediately. Behind the popup was something that looked like a Norton popup telling me to call the same number. Naturally I used task manager to close it, and it happened again when I opened Edge. So I rebooted and when I started Edge got the same warning. So I called the number, and of course some Indian guy wanted me to run "iexplore www.lmi1.com". I don't think so, bye. But I haven't been following Win10 news much so didn't realize that I could still run good old internet explorer until I saw what he wanted me to run. So I ran IE, poked around, and ran a few Microsoft recommended utilities that found nothing.

But I came across a few postings that noted that the popup was actually just a tab in Edge that now runs when I start Edge. Someone said to just right click any HTML file, click Run With Edge. I did so, and Edge starts without running the obnoxious tab. But it's visible, so all I had to do was click the X on that tab and all was fine.

Another, similar suggestion was to run Google. That would start Edge with Google as the starting page. It doesn't really matter what page you start with so long as Edge runs without opening the obnoxious tab. Then you can just close it.

These guys must have lots of addresses that are just a letter off of what people mean to type. I'd like to flay them alive.

Malware attack, time to wipe the drive and reinstall Windows. Sorry.

That's why you never make web domain name typos!

I don't think malware. You hit that website and the tab in Edge stays there telling you to call them to fix the problem. When you call, they want you to let them into your machine. I don't think anything gets into the machine unless you follow their instructions and go to the site and have them "fix" the machine. I've run a few scans and nothing is found. But I'll back everything up and get ready just in case.

In the various threads that I've seen about this, everyone reports that scans show no problem but the warning persists until you run Edge without that tab starting up.

You said you rebooted and it showed up again after you rebooted.
Protection would have intercepted any insertions of that kind.

If a crook places a flier under our windshield every time we park our car telling us to call him so he can fix our car, we would not call him / have him fix our car, most of us would have a mechanic do it - it would come natural for most of us to understand the scam and not call.

Yet we do not ignore when someone on the internet tells us to call them.

Antivirus would prevent permanent changes to your machine.

Back