• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

effects of Skylake DDR4 memory speed on gaming benches

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Some pretty old info there! Not much difference from 'normal'/'sweetspot' speeds (say 3600), to 4000, eh?

I only wish I could even get 4000Mhz. stable w/my 9700k,
Your signature says you're at DDR4-4009 already.................?

Your system is hamstrung by the 9700k (a lack of core/thread count and speed + IPC) paired with that monster 4090 of yours.

Edit: I get they are similar and iterative/based on Skylake, but, the difference between those generations is quite a bit in and of itself. Just feels weird to see Skylake and then 10th-gen CPU used, for me.

Last edited:
I updated my BIOS to enable SAM/resizable BAR and now I can't get to 4000Mhz. anymore.:(

Shadow of the Tombraider saw a 10% to 13% diff. in min. FPS between 3600Mhz. and 4200Mhz. DDR4 memory speeds.

Maybe Skylake users might be interested in this article? It's pretty comprehensive about how timings/frequency affect benchmarks.

Last edited:
Maybe Skylake users might be interested in this article?
It's a solid article... just stuff that's been out for a while already/known (there's a couple of articles like this out, DDR5 too). A refresher isn't a bad thing. :)

...maybe we need to get Woomack to work on a DDR5 scaling article. Those exist already too, but... always worth it.

I'll be stuck w/my 9700k for quite a few years because I blew my computer upgrade budget on the RTX 4090. If it were to die for some inexplicable reason though, then I could justify upgrading it.

I upgraded the BIOS on my Asrock to enable SAM/resizable BAR and once I did that I couldn't reach 4000Mhz. w/my memory anymore. The new BIOS did, however, enable me to run my memory @ 3984Mhz. w/CAS 14, which I could never do before (shrug).

If I had time I might be able to get to 4000Mhz. w/my memory but I'm sure it would take hours and hours of pure frustration.

Why does the guy who wrote the article call his Intel i9 10900K a skylake? This list of skylake SKU's from Intel doesn't list any 10xxx parts:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/codename/37572/products-formerly-skylake.html

Last edited:
I upgraded the BIOS on my Asrock to enable SAM/resizable BAR and once I did that I couldn't reach 4000Mhz.
How long ago did you flash the BIOS? Update that signature. ;)

Why does the guy who wrote the article call his Intel i9 10900K a skylake? This list of skylake SKU's from Intel doesn't list any 10xxx parts:
Lol, I asked that in my first post in this thread....

Here's something from Wiki that shows the 'sub' arcs for Skylake.... though, again, they all have different names.... and why I was confused and said what I said in my first post here. 10K series is Comet Lake, a sub-arch of Skylake. ;)

Last edited:
I'm surprised anyone even found this website, and I'm not even trying to confirm if the results/conclusions are right.

Back