• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EK CPU Block bought on Ebay.... ( Not for the faint of Heart! )

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jdeed

Registered
Ok well I bid on a EK Block on Ebay and got in it for $49 + shipping. Here are a few Photo's when I first took a look.

Also a photo of one basic cleaning with ISO 91% and water with a toothbrush. ( have to shrink that one )

Any suggestion to remove the rest of the red junk he put in there?

DSC09401.JPG DSC09402.JPG DSC09403.JPG DSC09404.JPG

after initial cleaning

DSC09411b.jpg
DSC09409b.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like your first attempt did a pretty good job. I would probably try it again and maybe let it sit and soak for awhile.

Sorry, but the metal is stained.
Only other thing I know would be ketchup or vinegar.

This is why we don't recommend dyes or pre-bottled fluids.

Sorry, but the metal is stained.
Only other thing I know would be ketchup or vinegar.

This is why we don't recommend dyes or pre-bottled fluids.

I don't mind the copper being copper tarnished.....that happens to most coppers.

I am just trying to get the rest of the caked on stuff off the nickel. It's like its dried on I guess I'll soak in hot soapy water and see if that loosens it up. The stuff on the plastic parts seems to come off fairly easy.

Great example of why folks shouldn't use dye.

I don't mind the copper being copper tarnished.....that happens to most coppers.

I am just trying to get the rest of the caked on stuff off the nickel. It's like its dried on I guess I'll soak in hot soapy water and see if that loosens it up. The stuff on the plastic parts seems to come off fairly easy.

Yup, try and let it sit in warm water. Not sure if it will completely remove the stain. Chances are whatever you will do, it will release that dye inside your loop over time.

Not sure why you just didn't spend less than another $20 for a Apogee XL.

Ok here we go!! used vinegar and salt with toothbrush! seems to have worked fairly well. I wanted that EK block is why I bought it btw, not the other one.

DSC09412b.jpg DSC09413b.jpg

Looks okay to me. You could take some 600+ grit sandpaper and gently get the red bits off where the o-ring sits. Good to go!

Thanks! Don't think I have that kind of sand paper. I might try buffing that out with a dremel tool I have.

Ok dremel tool worked some but the buffer fell apart...here it is all cleaned up. The flow plate cleaned up well with some vinegar and salt with a toothbrush and some rubbing...
DSC09421b.jpg DSC09422b.jpg DSC09426b.jpg

Last edited:
Gorgeous. Great job!

PS- Hopefully you have the other mounting bracket, extra insert, 8 mounting rods, etc

Gorgeous. Great job!

PS- Hopefully you have the other mounting bracket, extra insert, 8 mounting rods, etc

Thanks, It came with the normal mounting hardware for intel 115x and an extra EK LGA115X TRUE Backplate kit as well. I did not get any different flow plates though...

Also had a couple of Bitspower compression fittings looks like 5/8 or 3/4 to me I use 1/2 so those I would be using. He screwed the bitspower fittings so tight I can't even hand undo them.

I put it back together and everything went perfect.

Um what kind of EK block is that? plain supremacy? evo? mx? still trying to figure that out.

Just looking around looks like a normal Supremacy to me. The plastic does not have the circles on the top its flat.

Last edited:
here is a picture of it put back together and the bracket/fittings. The only I can think of is I am missing a gasket for the bracket the block is on in the picture?

DSC09429b.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, It came with the normal mounting hardware for intel 115x and an extra EK LGA115X TRUE Backplate kit as well. I did not get any different flow plates though...

Also had a couple of Bitspower compression fittings looks like 5/8 or 3/4 to me I use 1/2 so those I would be using. He screwed the bitspower fittings so tight I can't even hand undo them.

I put it back together and everything went perfect.

Um what kind of EK block is that? plain supremacy? evo? mx? still trying to figure that out.

Just looking around looks like a normal Supremacy to me. The plastic does not have the circles on the top its flat.

Wow!! You did a fantastic cleaning job!

I must say that I hate people who sells watercooling components without cleaning them :mad:

The block you bought is the normal Supremacy CPU block :)

And you're right the rubber gasket seems to be missing.

Back