• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Elden Ring

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Anyone playing this? Supposedly it got rave reviews leading up to release, now half my followed streamers on Twitch are playing it.

I'll admit I have it on my Steam wish list, but am kinda curious about the hype. So far it looks like just another *Souls game, just a little more open world.

The entire Souls-like type games I've determined are not for me. I don't have the time or patience to beat my head against a place/boss for hours while losing progress at the same time.

That said, at least right now it appears that the performance on PC is mediocre and the controls (if you use a kb/m) are very wonky.

I've gone and sprung for it. Looks like a controller is needed. Any suggestions for a good one for PC?

Also @Janus67 from people who have played Souls and Elden, they say Elden is a lot more fun because you aren't stuck grinding against boss battles over and over. If you are having a problem, you can leave and go elsewhere to build up experience/skills and then go back when you are better able to deal with it.

I've checked it and I feel it's highly overrated and dedicated only for fans. I don't get so high scores in reviews around the web.
Most gamers won't handle the difficulty level and the map is not as large as it seems so it brings down to grinding the same stuff for long hours to be able to pass something. I assume that the experience in multiplayer is somehow better.
Also, the PC port is pathetic so either get a console or a good pad.
Kenrou's last post says a lot about the experience that most gamers who were not playing the Souls series can expect.

This can be somehow a spoiler for some.
Since I like to explore and somehow I'm not convinced to play this game for longer, then I went with the god mode ... and even when I was, in theory, invincible, then one dragon and a tree elemental killed me on 1 hit after I dropped them 90%+ hp :p I didn't buy the game so I don't care. I wouldn't use cheats if I actually spent $50 on a game. This experience told me a lot about the world and how large (or small) is the map. When you look on the map then it's actually 70% of the area where you don't have access.
Some say that the graphics is amazing. In reality, it would be amazing 3-4 years ago.

Last edited:
Xbox One controllers are my go-to for PC. Plug-and-play for wired, wireless is possible (Bluetooth, or with wireless adapter), high-quality buttons/joysticks, readily available.

Controller - https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Core-Controller-Carbon-Black-one/dp/B08DF248LD
Controller w/ Wireless Adapter - https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-Wireless-Controller-Adapter-Windows/dp/B08K2C3HVG
Question about that, I've been wanting to get one for a couple games, but almost none of the adverts from the many brands available (at least on Amazon) say they are PC compatible ? Is that on purpose or the advertising agencies simply forgot about it ? Also, do they need drivers or are they actually plug and play ?

Question about that, I've been wanting to get one for a couple games, but almost none of the adverts from the many brands available (at least on Amazon) say they are PC compatible ? Is that on purpose or the advertising agencies simply forgot about it ? Also, do they need drivers or are they actually plug and play ?
I've always bought Microsoft branded, which are fully plug-and-play with your PC. No clue about 3rd party brands.
They're also recognized by default in many games these days, so no button mapping required to play either in most cases.

My brother was using Xbox 360 pad on his PC for a long time, so I know it works. New Xbox is like PC and it uses the same controllers, Bluetooth, USB, etc. so I don't think there will be any problem.

My youngest son uses his PS5 controller. It connects through Bluetooth without issues.

I've played quite a bit of Elden Ring, so far it has been the most enjoyable game I've played in quite a few years. If I was to guess I'm about 3/4 through the game, 140 hours played.

My son just started playing Elden Ring using his xbox controller via bluetooth the pc. So far he seems to like it. To me it looks like a mix of Zelda and Rust so I have no interest.

Too much hype and people were buying it not knowing what game it is ... and we back to post #5.

I decided to give it a try on Xbox as I can't find anything better right now. My experience on PC was somehow worse and some things were not working as they should. I don't know why but it looks better on Xbox, even though Xbox is like PC and I was running it on PC at max details. However, I see problems with FPS at 4k. There is no lag or anything like that, but I feel it's close to 30FPS. When I run it on a 1440p monitor then is better but still something is missing.
In the last few days were released quite large updates. I don't know the details, but I saw they fixed some bugs.

Well, as a casual gamer, and learning the controller for the first time, I'm still having fun with it. FWIW.

I do have an Xbox controller or Microsoft branded but I also have a handful of others. I never found one not to be compatible with PC.

The Xbox One in particular is really durable too. I had it when Skyrim came out. So that's over 10 years old and used it because of the haptic feedback when a dragon would attack.lol

There were certain parts of Batman, Arkham, asylum and maybe some others,I don't remember... where I had to use a controller to do certain things. And then I would switch back to keyboard and mouse.

Back