• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Skyrim type games, more specifically than just open world..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Hey guys. I am in the middle of replaying Skyrim with my wife, and she loves the game. We played the Tomb Raider series before that and she thought there is no way any game could be better, but here is Skyrim and she loves that.

Now she knows the awesomness of open world, but really, what she really loves, as do I, is the little things you do in Skyrim while you're not doing quests, especially how many different things you can pick up, from mining to plants, then use them.

So, while I have a list of all kinds of games that are open world, from GTA5 to Just Cause to The Witcher, I'd really like a list of games, which I know you guys have, that are similar in the sense that you can do things other than just go after quests, so you can spend your time exploring and collecting stuff for whatever reason.

Any games like that out there? Is The Witcher like that? And no need for it to be medieval type, it can be modern, like Fallout or Metal Gear Solid or Dark Souls maybe?, if that qualifies. Any info is appreciated..

If you have not played The Witcher, you are missing out! It is a terrific game, open world, excellent story (it is loosely based on the books) and a lot to do off the beaten path. You might enjoy the Fallout series as well. Another game to check out is Kingdom Come Deliverance. It can be tough sledding at first, but it grows on you soon enough.

Sounds good. I have The Witcher 2 and 3, have had them forever, but have never even loaded 3, and only started 2 but then we got into the Tomb Raider series, finished that and now we're totally into Skyrim so that'll take a while. I will definitely look at Kingdom Come, but Fallout sounds more like my type of game not hers, which is fine of course.

Off the beaten path is what I'm looking for, it is what we enjoy most about Skyrim, no matter where you go you'll find someone, and if not someone or a cave, there are animals to harvest, plants to pick up, ore to mine.. oh my.

New metro exodus is sort of semi open world now. Horizon zero dawn is also open world. Asassin creed is open world.
How come no one mentioned red dead redemption2 ? Phenomenal scenery and lots of interaction!

As you mentioned, Fallout. Probably the most "Off the beaten path" style games I've found besides Skyrim. For all their buggy-ness Bethesda does know how to distract you from the main storyline. Can also check out the earlier Elder Scrolls games - Oblivion and Morrowind.

For other standard open world games - the newer Saints Row games, Borderlands, Mount & Blade, most of the Far Cry games, the Minecraft-esque games (Space Engineers, Subnautica, etc).

Searching Steam with the Open World tag shows a few results.

Last edited:
I got to throw in Cyberpunk 2077. Supposed to come out this year and looks good. Same people behind Witcher. I’m really looking forward to it.

I have also been looking for fantasy games in the D&D style (in-depth character creation at the start) but if possible with just one character, not a party of 2+, any suggestions ?

:rofl: no, but i thought it would be kinda pointless to mention since it's ONLY the biggest mmorpg in the market :rofl:

Kenroe, Baldur's Gate and the sequel are just that, DnD3 and one character. Awesome game, although I always prefered Icewind Dale 2 and Neverwinter Nights and its sequel (one character as well, my favourite game of all time).

Really though, I am specifically looking for gamepad games, open world. So far all the Tomb Raider and of course Skyrim are awesome, exactly what we needed,but it's hard to go back off the couch now to mouse/kb, as most games allow third person view. The last Far Cry I played is 2 and that was kb/m and it was awesome of course but I don't think you can play FarCry with a gamepad.

If by gamepad, you mean a console controller, FryCry is on console systems so you can use a gamepad.

Not as open world but Dragons Dogma. Not as polished as a AAA but very good game play.

Back