• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Electromagnetic Acoustics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unsafesteagle

Symptoms of Tinnitus are occuring.
I am unable to identify a specific electrical component emitting a high pitched frequency.

The only thing ive yet to try is the main panel breaker.

Advice Please !!!!
Thanks

I suffer from this insanity too. I always had sensitive hearing and at night when things get quieter, I pick up the smallest noises. Are they real? Is it in my head? I've gone the route of turning individual things off and eventually cutting power to my house before to ensure it isn't electrically generated. In my case, I never found the cause. I believe that one was real since if I wear ear plugs I can't hear it any more. There have been others where ear plugs haven't helped.

You can try using a phone app to do a spectrum analysis of sounds it picks up. If the sound is narrowband it can show up clearly. Then you can move around and see where it gets louder. Doesn't work well for non-narrowband noise. You can try humming what you hear so you can compare frequency, but keep in mind that noises can have harmonics, so you may be hearing those and not the fundamental.

Worst case, if the noise remains present and annoys you, you can try masking it by playing another noise over it. I'm debating putting a PC in my bedroom at some point. Smooth fan noise is comforting to me.

same, during the day I always have pandora playing on tv for noise and when I sleep I have a fan on even if it's -20 outside and in the summer I put a window ac in the bedroom + the fan, it always drowns out the noise.

i have never heard this term but i would get a hearing test. i have constant high pitched ringing in my ears for decades now. i never went to concerts or clubs ect. i chalk this up to playing alot of games like cs/csgo ect with the volume up pretty high to hear foot steps ect.

Also never forget to consider medications, aspirin and furosemide (lasix) are prime culprits, but many can contribute. Please don't stop taking doctor-prescribed or recommended medications without consulting the prescriber. This is not medical advice, rather something you can ask your provider about at your next appointment.

that's right, is it aspirin or tylenol that can cause that. also i think they possibly might be talking about coil whine. which does happen and normally in a "normal" hearing range for some of them. there is some coil wine that on a higher spectrum that people can not hear. as you get older and i forget what age, you can not hear any thing over 16khz. Is buying speakers that are rated/specced to play up to 20khz is it worth it if you can not hear it?

o wait, edit LOL. my point is the younger you are generally the better your hearing. when i was about 10 we still had the crt tv's. i could hear a noise when it was on. my teacher thought i was pulling her leg so she asked the class if they could hear it. there was only 3 others that could out of a class of 20 students. teacher couldnt hear it due to natural hearing range loss or due to high volume/loud noises. in that case it could have been coil whine or could have been the high voltage transformer on the crt tv.

Back