• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Enough power to overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kenape

Registered
I just got a new pc with only 550W psu. And i simply wonder if I have enough and how much a safe good overclock that I can manage is.

Specs:
FX-8350 cpu
Sapphire 7950 Boost Clock gpu
XFX ProSeries Core Edition 550W psu
Cooler Master Seidon 120M cpu cooler
ASUS M5A97 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB
Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB
Seagate Barracuda 1TB

How much can I overclock with this supply. I want to overclock the cpu only a bit, and the gpu core speed to 1000-1100-ish.

Last edited:
I found the following TDP values for your components:

GPU - 200W
CPU - 125W
Other parts - 40W
------------------
365W

I would say it is possible if you don't go for crazy voltages. For the GPU if you are lucky and have a good card, 1000Mhz could be done without raising voltage (maybe). And for the CPU, if it's going to be a mild overclock.
I found this for the CPU:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/11/06/amd-fx-8350-review/7

Not plenty of headroom, but I think you could give it a try.

Thanks for the feedback!

Im going to overclock as much as I can without raising the voltage. This is my first time overclocking and I just want some extra out of my cpu and gpu.

How many degree celsius is "max" on the cpu and gpu? I don't want to burn them.

Im an Intel guy ;) For the GPU I don't think it differs much from nvidia. I would keep it in the 70's, you can go into the 80's as well but I think 85°C should really be the limit.

edit: If this is your 1st time, there should be some guides you have read, don't they state anything about safe ranges of temps?

edit2: If you overclock at stock voltages, the temperatures shouldnt increase that much anyway. IIrc temperatures depend linear on frequency and cubic on voltage. If you had a wattmeter to measure what your PC draws off the wall you can see how far you can go.

I can ask my father and ask him if he have a wattmeter!

I did read some guides, but they didn't see any temps at max. Getting a new psu for christmas anyway, so maybe I just get a small overclock now and a bigger later.

Thanks for the ansers!

Yup you can overclock, but I would be somewhat sedate about it. FX chips draw a lot when pushed hard, and 7950s aren't exactly light on power draw if you start cranking on the voltage slider.

Back