• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Enviro Safe ES 22A Refrigerant what it really is...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bender

Mysteriously Changing Senior
In Thelemac's Basement Eating the Chickens
You may have seen it on eBay, or all over the internet. Its called Enviro Safe ES 22A. It is sold as a drop in replacement for R22 and a few others. This refrigerant appeals to many people because it does not require a licence to purchase. This got me wondering, what is ES 22A? After a bit of googling about I found the MS/DS for ES 22A. Here are the specs from the MS/DS sheet converted to celsius.

ES 22A Specs

-42.5c boiling point
0.5066 Specific gravity
467c Auto ignition temp

Propane/R290 Specs
-42.1c boiling point
0.509 Specific gravity
470c Auto ignition temp

The slight differences can be accounted for by barometric pressure and purity of the gas tested.

So it looks like Enviro Safe is selling bottled propane for just about any application that uses refrigerant. From what I have been reading the EPA does not restrict the sale of products like Enviro Safe however there are restrictions on working with and filling refrigeration systems. Interesting ehh?

Never heard of it.
You can order refigerant grade R290 from R22.com.. wich is cheaper?

Ah yeah its funny but its a lot purer than our butane/propene leased BBQ crap.

baa.. NoL whats the www were you can get refigerants.. :-/ R22.com wasn't it (I forgot :( )

*edit*
Its R22.org and they dont have R290 its 410A (and its not cheap)

Last edited:
Quite a difference, r410a is quite close to being the hardest gas for any SS. Low critical temp, high critical pressure, and a nice BP :)
I think I'm going to get r507 next personally.

NoL said:
Quite a difference, r410a is quite close to being the hardest gas for any SS. Low critical temp, high critical pressure, and a nice BP :)
I think I'm going to get r507 next personally.

You don't like 402a? Spill the beans, do you know somethething I dont? :santa2:

Posting then editing with further info.
gasesyu5.jpg

r22 (great starter gas) = Easier to condense simply due to a high critical temperature, but its critical pressure is still quite high. Also its a single piece gas, as in its not a mixture and cannot seperate.

r402a (expensive) = Much lower critical temperature but also a bit lower critical pressure, still a good bit higher pressure then r22 though. The saving grace really is its a high mass gas, and therefore holds a load well. It's also a cocktail and can seperate and must be charged liquidly. If you get r125 though you can make r402a!

r410a (not so expensive, but cold) = Same critical pressure as r22, but requires a huge factor more skill to use due to a much colder critical temperature. This leads to a hard gas to condense, but a :drool: BP. Also its a light gas, much larger load delta then r402a in similar conditions.

r507 (my next gas!) = If it was an alcohol this would be vodka people! :beer: Drink it alone or mix it if your not up to the taste. r507 has a MUCH lower critical pressure but still the lowest critical temperature of the bunch. It makes it moderatly hard to condense, but not really a chore. It's only a shot of r134a though from r404a. Also its high mass, and holds a load just fine.

Basically r507 is just about a bit easier to condense then r402a, but also a bit warmer. Just about the same mass and cheaper cost on the wallet. It can be played with, modified to r404a, and responds better to subcooling IMO due to the lower critical temperature.

Last edited:
Nothing I didnt know already. R402a is a better gas hands down. Maybe price is the only problem for some people.

I dont think 507 responds better to subcooling at all. I dont see what a lower critical temperature has to do with anything considering the suction gas is below -40C.

Critical temperature means that the ambient sorta temperature needs to be below that temperature. A lower one means that you need to get it below that temperature minimum. Just the way the molecule(s) is/are. I'm saying you'll get more of out something like an SLHX from r507 then r402a per-say.
Also the cost is a biggie.

Lower critical temp would just make it more difficult to condense (IE you would need lower ambiants and/or better condensing in the design)

I don't get how 290 works out.. the moleular mass is really low 44.1 (g/mol) :-/ but the crical preasure is not too bad 42.47bar
the critial temp is cake though 96.7C

NoL said:
Critical temperature means that the ambient sorta temperature needs to be below that temperature. A lower one means that you need to get it below that temperature minimum. Just the way the molecule(s) is/are. I'm saying you'll get more of out something like an SLHX from r507 then r402a per-say.
Also the cost is a biggie.

The gas is either condensed or not, it cant get more subcooling out of one gas then another. Ina practical sence. I mean once you take the gas below critical temperature then it doesnt really matter how low. The latent heat in the liquid is very small.

Besides 402a may have a lower critical temperature but it also has a lower bp, which means cooler suction line gas so it evens out.

I'll check in with walt see what he sais.

once you take the gas below critical temperature then it doesnt really matter how low.
Ethylene r1150's critical temperature is 9C. If you don't have an HX temp of -40C you won't condense it in a cascade, it is definetly a difference.

NoL.. in a cascade you need the HX to hold load for the next stage compressor and the heat load on the unit, you see -40C but what your really seeing is likely 9C with a boatload of load caring capasity ;)

Back