• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Enviro Safe ES 22A Refrigerant what it really is...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
NoL said:
Nope greenmaji.
Pressure and temperature are proportional remember.

I think your going in a new direction with this ;)

btw.. we need a new thread to post this stuff in.

NoL said:
Ethylene r1150's critical temperature is 9C. If you don't have an HX temp of -40C you won't condense it in a cascade, it is definetly a difference.

That has nothing to do with it. If you are below critical temperature and have sufficinet pressure at that point your temperature doesnt matter. The only problem with ethylene is its critical pressure is 736.211557psi. So 9C it will condense just fine however it will need to be under 736+ psi, thats why you want your hx colder, much easier to do then run 736+ psi.

It makes a difference in that respect but when we are talking about a few degrees like in 402a vs 507 the possible lower condensing pressure (due to the delta between the condensing temperature and the CT) is lower by a very very small amount. So small its completly irrelevant for the use of the system. So no you arent getting anything by having your discharge a degree or two cooler.

however none of that matters since your condensing temperature will not be a greater % lower in respect to the BP since 402a BP is lower then 507 so it may have a lower CT but it also has a lower bp then 507 which means the SLHX will be colder, so that evens things out.

Last edited:
that it shoudn't be used to reopen 3 year old threads :beer:

R401A refrigerant.
It is a zeotrope average pressure blend with temperature glide Dtgl= 4...5К. Physical qualities of this blend are given in tables down. R401A saturated vapor pressure is a bit higher than that of R12 (correspondingly 1,27 and 1,08 МPа at 45 oС).
Depending on operation conditions, cold-productivity of the refrigeration system, where there has been used R12 before, is 5...8 % increased. R401A refrigerant is not compatible with mineral oils, therefore, during retrofit it is necessary to charge the refrigeration aggregate with alkylbenzene oil. Substitution of a filter-dehydrator is also required.
The refrigerant is recommended to use for retrofit in high - (higher than О oС) and mean-temperature refrigeration facilities (hermetic, semihermetic compressors and compressors with open drive), domestic refrigerators and fixed air-conditioners for R12 substitution.
Cold-productivity of the refrigeration system operating on R401A is comparable to cold-productivity of the systems on R12 at boiling temperatures higher that -25 oС. Dependence of saturation pressure on temperature is given on the figure. In the table there are given the results of comparison of theoretical refrigeration cycles at operating on R12 and R401A.

http://www.galeon.com/cienbas/03Mult_HCFCs.htm

You may have seen it on eBay, or all over the internet. Its called Enviro Safe ES 22A. It is sold as a drop in replacement for R22 and a few others. This refrigerant appeals to many people because it does not require a licence to purchase. This got me wondering, what is ES 22A? After a bit of googling about I found the MS/DS for ES 22A. Here are the specs from the MS/DS sheet converted to celsius.

ES 22A Specs

-42.5c boiling point
0.5066 Specific gravity
467c Auto ignition temp

Propane/R290 Specs
-42.1c boiling point
0.509 Specific gravity
470c Auto ignition temp

The slight differences can be accounted for by barometric pressure and purity of the gas tested.

So it looks like Enviro Safe is selling bottled propane for just about any application that uses refrigerant. From what I have been reading the EPA does not restrict the sale of products like Enviro Safe however there are restrictions on working with and filling refrigeration systems. Interesting ehh?

Is there anything I can use in my home ac other than propane? I have gauges and knowledge but no 22. Some people in this area are using 134 what about that.

how does r22 compare to r134 refrigent

You may have seen it on eBay, or all over the internet. Its called Enviro Safe ES 22A. It is sold as a drop in replacement for R22 and a few others. This refrigerant appeals to many people because it does not require a licence to purchase. This got me wondering, what is ES 22A? After a bit of googling about I found the MS/DS for ES 22A. Here are the specs from the MS/DS sheet converted to celsius.

ES 22A Specs

-42.5c boiling point
0.5066 Specific gravity
467c Auto ignition temp

Propane/R290 Specs
-42.1c boiling point
0.509 Specific gravity
470c Auto ignition temp

The slight differences can be accounted for by barometric pressure and purity of the gas tested.

So it looks like Enviro Safe is selling bottled propane for just about any application that uses refrigerant. From what I have been reading the EPA does not restrict the sale of products like Enviro Safe however there are restrictions on working with and filling refrigeration systems. Interesting ehh?

I'm not sure if you'll get a response about home A/C units here; this forum generally pertains to using refrigerant for units that cool processors. Plus the post you're quoting is from seven years ago. You might want to check a forum more specifically to do with home A/C.

It will likely work ok for a while, but the oil used in the system is not compatible. So it will probably not properly lubricate the compressor properly. R290 or propane is ok to use, but your system likely has a leak, so you will have a highly flammable gas leaking into your house. probably not a good idea. R12 I think is pretty similar to r22, but you would be better off to have a pro repair your a/c.

Back