• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Epox vs. Abit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the thing I dun like Epox is that they use CHEAP GSC capacitor which tend to POP EASILY.... lots addional cooling need to be done...

Never heard that before but sounds like you know what you're talking about.

When I started OC'ing I was concerned about heat so gave it some thought and decided the easy solution was to leave the side off my case. I know, it's funky but I'm an OldBird senior citizen and not out to impress anyone.

Was crusing WallyWorld and saw a small $5.00 fan on the close out rack so got it and sat it pointing inside the open case and everything runs nice and cool, and very quiet to. Aero7 cooling the CPU HS and the small fan and that's all, so quiet you can barely heard it and I like quiet.

Before with the side on I had one 80mm 32CFM intake and exaust and the EverCool CUD-725 cooler and that puppy was way to loud for me. Using a 350W Fortron with the auto fan speed control and now it never goes in high gear so PSU fan noise not a problem.

Have an EPOX in a full tower case and I found with the side on taking all the strip brackets off the back and pointing the fan toward the bracket holes it runs mch cooler and quiet. Same thing works for the mid tower case but I prefer leaving the side off.

I'm a clean freak and about once a month I brush out what little dust accumilates so not a big concern there. 'Reckon it boils down to there's a lot of ways to skin a Rabbit and what works for the individual user. With the funky yet efficent set up I have I don't think hot capicators or hot anything will be a problem.

I guess I have a different way of looking at what something costs, but considering I paid about $100. for the 8RGA+, if it lasts five years I figure it cost me twenty bucks a year or about two bucks a month, so I got my moneys worth and it's a throw away. The 8RGA I got refurb for $51.00 and I call that dirt cheap.

I guarantee I will never buy a new MB again because the refurbs are so much cheaper. Since I have three 'puters (two Epox, one Soltek) I use one for about a month at the time so doubt I'll have to replace one anytime soon. What do I need with three? Don't know other than I refuse to grow up and I need lot's of toys to play with. ;) (How many 63 year old Dudes you see building their own listening to Jimi Hendrix and OC'ing ? ? ?) :cool:

Ya'll have yourself a fine week end and always good exchanging thoughts and ideas with you. O C

good thoughts there honeycutt, but
but considering I paid about $100. for the 8RGA+, if it lasts five years I figure it cost me twenty bucks a year or about two bucks a month, so I got my moneys worth
now lets see, when the Athlon64/Win64 hits the shelf and the OC starts to rock if you will still will be holding to that nforce2.:D:)

HA! Rogers on the nForce part. Point well taken and I read five by five. Yup, if I get five years out of a CPU and MB then to me it's a throw away, but fact is they will probably still be alive and kicking long after that.

Man, this OldBird is gettin' on up there to so might not need to build but a couple more before I take the long dirt nap. I can see me now sittin' in the old folks home fixing their 'puters. That is, if I don't get the heebie-jeebie-shakes and can't hold a screwdriver.

Oh well, can't stop the hands on that old clock from tickin' and just have to enjoy life while I can and see what the Good Lord has in store for me. No health problems at present so I'll probably be hangin' out with ya'll for a while yet.

To nice a day to be inside so going to wash my truck and do some yard work. I live way down in the Southern most tip of SC near Hilton Head and Savannah, GA and the weather has been absolutely Utopian but we need some rain bad.

Ya'll have a good 'un and enjoy your 'puter and jam on it! :cool:
OldBird

mosfet cooling
8rdamosfet5.jpg

about to pop capacitor

ncapf1.jpg

hi quality sanyo capacitor, manually swap out
8RDA4.JPG

i love my 8rda3+ i bought it with a 2500 barton and before i even installed windows i OC'd it to a 3200 and it has ran flawless for 3 months now

Yeah i love my EPoX 8RDA as well. 200fsb right out of the box.. and it cost me only $86, i believe.

I've had bad experiences with both ECS (go figure) and Soyo.

I don't pledge allegiance to a single brand, those people are sheep. I buy what's good. In my circumstance, the EPoX was the motherboard that fit the billl, and i bought it, and i am happy. Next generation it may be an Abit, or even an Intel based board. Hell, it might even be an ECS board (not likely).

BaaaAAAAaAaA goes the consumer sheep.

i've heard really good things about soltek lately... although i never had any experiece w/ a soltek mobo

EluSiOn said:
mosfet cooling
hi quality sanyo capacitor, manually swap out
8RDA4.JPG

You mind if I ask how hard was it to solder on that new one. I have heard rumors that it needed special solder equipment that was rather expensive. I dont have that kind of equipment but have a few abit boards with bad caps that I'd like to change out. I have had this done before but somebody else did it for me and he is not really available any more.

SUPERB SOLTEK SL-75MRN-L

Had one almost a year with 2100 OC'd 2.GHz and fantastic board
in every respect. Set up is a breeze, runs stable and pretty to.
They pulled out of the US so I went Epox for my other two computers and just as pleased with performance, etc.

Back