• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Equivilant of a 3.8ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1cem4n

What is the AMD equivilant of a 3.8ghz Northwood? how about 4.2ghz? just wondering since some people think there XP-2800 can beat mine. I would like to know whats the equal competitor in the 64 series and the XP.

-1cem4n

depends on what you are talking about. In gaming, an A64 3200 could probably beat both of those clock speeds, but in video rendering it would take probably an X2. Nothing but an overclocked 2500 mobile would probably beat it at those speeds, although at stock, yours would be comparable to an xp2800.

nikhsub1 said:
uhh, not true. A barton at 3Ghz should beat the NW in almost everything.

i don't see any bartons at 3ghz around here do you? maybe if you had a triple cascade or somthing...

Are you saying mine would tie with an AMD XP 2800? I do gaming only and some video(thinking Microsoft Movie Maker type stuff).

-1cem4n

Drec said:
i don't see any bartons at 3ghz around here do you? maybe if you had a triple cascade or somthing...
Uhh there were a lot. Cathar had 2 or 3 that would do 3Ghz on plain water.

Drec said:

I had one.

So did a few lucky others.

Socket A is dead though, so it doesn't matter.

Id rather have a 2.4c then an A64, but thats me.

As for whats faster, it depends on what we are comparing.

This may come in handy about now: http://216.92.52.205/index.html?modelx=33&model1=71&model2=13&chart=2

Obviously they don't have a 3.8ghz P4 listed, but there are a couple P4's that are close.

Interesting comparisons:
Doom3: [email protected] 16fps faster than the XP 2800+ (But about the same as an A64 2800+)
Mainconcept Video encoding: [email protected] 1min faster than the XP 2800+ (But about the same as an A64 4000+)

A [email protected] will stomp an XP 2800+ in pretty much every area. Feel free to laugh at anyone who says that in a general term.

I would agree that an athlon xp would have to get to about 3ghz to generally compare to a p4 @ 3.8ghz. A P4 at that speed is definitely one FAST cpu. The amd cpu at that speed might be better at some things and the p4 better at others, it all depends upon what we are talking about.

I think a p4 @ 3.8ghz is a more reliable choice because you hear about more p4's above 3.8ghz than athlon xp's above 3ghz.

Here is an amusing clip from my A+ certification book...

Just for completeness, heres an even more amusing clip from that same book

Attachments

• cpu.JPG
    cpu.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 86
  • haha.JPG
    haha.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 75
I have an xp-2500 mobile that runs 2.6G on air with an nf7 and with the same video card and memory my intel cpus need to be over 4G to beat it in 3D benches.

I think a p4 @ 3.8ghz is a more reliable choice because you hear about more p4's above 3.8ghz than athlon xp's above 3ghz.

AMD's do work more efficently so there is no need for such high clocks, thats the reason you don't seem them. That is why the top end Intels are 3.8 and the top end AMDs are 2.8

apu318 said:
Exactly. So if you wanna do an eye for an eye test, a 3.8ghz A64 woudl beat a 3.8ghz P4 in mostly anything.

Try everything.

Too bad there are so few 3.8ghz A64s.

brakezone said:
I would agree that an athlon xp would have to get to about 3ghz to generally compare to a p4 @ 3.8ghz. A P4 at that speed is definitely one FAST cpu. The amd cpu at that speed might be better at some things and the p4 better at others, it all depends upon what we are talking about.

Here is an amusing clip from my A+ certification book...

Just for completeness, heres an even more amusing clip from that same book

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. There is a teacher at my school that is teaching the CISCO course, and he doesn't know anything (can't stress that enough) about computers. Whenever he says something stupid and the students try and correct his stubborness, he'll tyr to defend himself with the A+ book. I'll kindly point out that the A+ book probably has as many stupid mistakes in it as he does. Intel Athlon P4. :rolleyes:

Exactly. So if you wanna do an eye for an eye test, a 3.8ghz A64 would beat a 3.8ghz P4 in mostly anything

pure fanboy talk, proof my friend proof.

Clock for clock they come out about equal. Intel has the edge in encoding, AMD gaming.

dicecca112 said:
AMD's do work more efficently so there is no need for such high clocks, thats the reason you don't seem them. That is why the top end Intels are 3.8 and the top end AMDs are 2.8

I understand pretty well the differences. The only reason I say the p4 is probably a more reliable choice is because p4's design can clock up a good deal beyond 3.8ghz while the athlon xp design you aint getting much more than 3ghz.

I wasn't saying to choose the intel for performance reasons but for the reason that you could reach 3.8 on air with a p4 and would at least need good water cooling to reach 3ghz on a athlon xp. An xp system at 3ghz just sounds like more trouble to me than a p4 @ 3.8. Both systems would be nice though.

Back