• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Error in windows.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DerekDRP

Disabled
Hey gang I have a question on this error and I would liek to know how to fix it?

Ok once in a while like every blue moon my computer locks up and I have to give it a hard reboot. And when I log back in to windows and when I go to say overclockers forums and log in my cookies been erased or something tot hat effect I have to re enter my passy and username.

This goes for pretty much everything I do that's web based.

I know these might be annoying questions, but here we go...

What exactly are you running when the system crashes (I mean a full list!), what are you currently operating on, what files are being used etc?

Saying web-based activity could be anything to be fair. Do you have a torrent client going whilst browsing, do you have one of those picture leech programs going, ftp, httpS, normal http, is the site possibly using ASP.net?

Do you have a software firewall (tbh, get a hardware one anyway...!)?

There's so many things that could account for a lockup it's hard to define just by saying web-based activity. IE, no matter your opinion of it if any, has never locked up a whole computer, to my knowledge that is.

But then it could be a network interface hardware issue...

Random lockups are horrible to help with :(

Dude did you even read the title?

I said windows, So that be windows Xp du'h

Be nice Derek, redduc900 is one of the most knowledgeable and helpful members on this forum ;). Techs (like him and me) need more info than what you've supplied, and it's our job to extract that information from you in order to start on the right troubleshooting path from the start rather than chasing our tails only to find out it was something else altogether.

I've never seen this issue first hand. If I had to guess you may be having issues with your user profile, which would explain why after the reboot it appears everything goes back to default settings.

If it is a profile issue the resolution can be complicated depending on how deep the issue is.

There's also the possibility that your hard drive is dying. There's a bunch of ways to test that, like drive fitness test.

How old is this windows installation? Do you have all necessary windows security and software updates? Are you using Internet explorer? Which version? etc...

In some cases the resolution of the issue takes as long or longer than just formatting and starting over. This is especially true when you get 2 hours into fixing something only to remain stumped and have to format and reinstall windows anyway. So if the problem is only intermittent I would say suffer for a while longer, make backups of your data in the meantime, and when you have some time to kill one day reinstall windows. Be sure to test the hard drive first though, becaus eif it's failing no reinstallation in the world is going to help fix that.

If you were next door I'd charge you money to look at this problem because it's not likely to be an easy fix (maybe redduc will prove me wrong :p ). Don't think I'm blowing you off with my response, it's just not possible to fix overly complicated issues through a BBS without spending hours of my own time posting links to resolutions and potentially having to answer more specific questions about steps in the resolutions I reference. Some tech work is hands on. There's tech sites out there that will charge a fee and connect remotely to your PC to resolve issues like this. I think they charge $30+ /hour.

Last edited:
I know these might be annoying questions, but here we go...

What exactly are you running when the system crashes (I mean a full list!), what are you currently operating on, what files are being used etc? 3DS MAX 9.0 from the main site , surifing normal stuff, gaming normal web stuff

Saying web-based activity could be anything to be fair. Do you have a torrent client going whilst browsing, do you have one of those picture leech programs going, ftp, httpS, normal http, is the site possibly using ASP.net?
I do use asp.net some times I do https, I don't do any leech

Do you have a software firewall (tbh, get a hardware one anyway...!)?
I do have a software firewall, and a "HARDWARE ONE"

There's so many things that could account for a lockup it's hard to define just by saying web-based activity. IE, no matter your opinion of it if any, has never locked up a whole computer, to my knowledge that is.

But then it could be a network interface hardware issue...

Random lockups are horrible to help with :(

I had no event viewer when it locs up. and it just locks up with no warning or any thing, when I know the mouse freeze I know I have lock up.

Don't you have to login after reboots anyway? I know that OCF has a timeout before your cookies are no good anyway if you don't load a page - probably about the time it takes to reboot and get all loaded back up.

Lockups can also be due to overheating, not necessarily software. The possible reasons can be nearly infinite...

Back