• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Error when trying to share files with XP Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FunkDaMonkMan

I just built a new computer, and I've been having a problem with my networking.

Actually...everything works fine, except that I cannot access files on my new pc from any other computer. I can view the list of shared directories, and if I add a new shared directory it shows up immediately, but I cannot open any of these directories. Even if I am on the new pc, and I open up \\josh (the computer name) I cannot open a directory. I get this error message:

"\\josh\d is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Not enough server storage is available to process this command"

I am stumped.

My hardware:

Expox 9nda3j motherboard with built in NVIDIA Gigabit LAN card.
The card has a built in hardware firewall, but everything idicates that it is disabled.

The network is based on a Linksys wireless G router. In my room, i split the connection with a Linksys BEFSR v3 because I often have up to 4 computers running at one time. I have disabled DHCP on the second router and set its ip to 192.168.1.2

For a second i thought that i having 2 routers on one network might be causing the problem; however i ruled this out for several reasons.

1. My old computer was able to share files when plugged into the same router.
2. I tested with a different router.
3. All the computers in the network can access each other's files
4. I cannot access my own files.

Software I am using:

XP Pro SP2
Norton AV 2002 (updated)
Zone Alarm (network is on trusted zone, and have tried disabling it)
Windows firewall is disabled.

I have probably missed something simple. Could someone help?

Thanks.

I had a problem similar to this. On the system sharing the resources, go to the location of the folder you want to share and right click>properties Security Tab.

Now what you want to do is add to the User group "Everyone" and then select which rights you want to give others.

Here is example from my system:

Attachments

• share.jpg
    share.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 107
Ah.. that could be it, but how do you enable the advanced mode where you can control indivudual users. I do not have that menu at the moment, but i remember reading somewhere the steps to enable this mode.

Alright, I got to that menu, and the settings were all correct. I am still getting the same error.

FunkDaMonkMan said:
Alright, I got to that menu, and the settings were all correct. I am still getting the same error.

In the Sharing tab under permissions "Everyone" is the user there as well?

what permisions are they listed as having?
are the computers all members of the same workgroup?
if you are using workgroups you may need to create a matching acocunt and password on the source and destination pcs

The everyone account has full permission.

They are all on the same workgroup.

I don't have to make accounts on other pc's. I can't even access these files from my own pc if I try to use the network method.

damn im having the same problem as you. My brothers computer can go into my computer but i cant go into his or use his printer and i dont know what to do....

i fixed the problem.....the computer i couldnt access has a firewall which wouldnt let me access the computer.

hey i have that problem too. i cant use my sis printer or share her files. well try this it used to work make a file named "random thing that u want in this case KILLAMAJARA" ok now what u do is go to sharing and not make it priveate than u share it will ask u are u sure u want to share this anyway ( it says that its insecure and crap ) and u click yes than it should share.

Back