• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Essential Case Mod tools

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neuromancer

This is meant to be a list for tools vital (and not vital just beneficial) to customizing your own case. This is a personal list and if anyone has any input, it wil be appreciated.

This is only meant to cover the basics, eventually perhaps more will be delved into (such as custom circuitry and bondo machines).

The primary tools for a case modder.

brainintrofp9.gif

Everything else is superfluous. Think and visualize what your goals are then write them down. Ask about them online if you are not sure, (there are a great many handy people at this one website I know of.

Plan out your alterations before you ever make them. Make sure that the equipment you are running or intend to run will work after your modifications. Just because you picked up an iCage doesn’t mean that the 3.5" bays are no longer necessary, what if you need a floppy bay for Raid, or you decide to use a 3.5" fan controller? Granted it can still be done, but easier is usually better (except in extreme case mod situations).

Tools list.

Hole saw. 80mm and 120mm size (evaluate your needs of course, if you have 92mm and intend to buy more than a 92mm hole saw might be right for you). $10-20 USD each

Drill bits. Kits are pretty cheap you can get a kit that covers over 1/2" diameter (3/4 inch max for WC tubing) for fewer than 20 dollars. While it’s nice to have 1/16th drill bits. .you won’t need anything less than 1/4 for popping rivets :)
What’s that leave? Oh yah, an electric drill!!

Electric Drill. Get a non cordless one. You are not going to be case modding anywhere that there isn’t power. If you were, there would nt be power for the PC anyway. AC drills have more torque then all but the most expensive cordless, and if your like me and only case mod on cheap cases... then you will want that extra torque to punch through some serious steel.

Tin snips. Not the most elegant tool in the world, but for removing large quantities of metal, its hard to beat. Uses no electricity and is as adjustable as the user is capable. I do not own a set, I use linesman’s pliers and a large pair of dykes (which are ruined from cutting through steel BTW) to remove and/or shape metal to my whims.

Rotary tool. Call it a dremel or a B&D, doesnt matter to me what brand you get, there are tons of online reviews to pick the best model. More important than the tool itself is the quality of the bits. More you spend the higher quality, USUALLY, reviews are of course important. Try to do most of your modding with Drill or tin snips.

Soldering Iron.
Great for all kinds of uses, from doing a poor man’s weld to doing advanced circuitry work, try not to scrimp too much on this device. An Iron with interchangeable heads is important I personally like having a base with sponge and some retinning solution. (Especially since moving to RoHS standards OMG does that suck :angry face:)

Computer Repair Kit.
Simple cheap, grab them at staples for low low prices: Large and small Phillips and flat heads it might include a chip puller and a retractor. Some may include a tube of screws. (Pins, jumpers etc).

Hacksaw/Jigsaw blades.
Yes you can get the whole tool if need be. But more often than not, you are not going to be able to use the entire tool. For instance I have a case that had a vented louver type system in the front air intake of the case. I used a combination Utility knife, drill and jigsaw blade (hand used) to retain the louvered appearance but widen the intake amounts to provide a more steady airflow into the chassis.

Fasteners.
Superglue is awesome for fixing plastic errors. JBWeld for metal. Screws and nuts and washers can attach anything to anything if you drill the holes. Something often overlooked but GREAT for making improvised PSU mounts or rapid construction hdd cages. Pipe Strap. Semi flexible metal, that comes in a thin strip and is pre drilled. Is this heaven or what?

There is lots to do.. Best practice is to grab an old PC that you see on the side of the road, soak it in the tube and start making it better :) Work your way up to painting (Another toolkit necessary, but well worthwhile. I paint he insides of all my PCs now :) )

Ghetto or artistic masterpiece... that’s not as important as having something that you made more functional, or improved the natural abilities of, without paying for it :)

Who needs to shell out 150 dollars a case with sideways mounted hdds.. I can cut it out and resolder it sideways on a free case :) It might not look as good.. But that a matter of practice and talent.

Anyone that wants to add to this list, feel free, any incusions will be noted in this post with referance to the poster.

Last edited:
duct tape, beer, and patients are needed to be added, tho, one of those is something not many of us have :D

i dont think a holesaw is an essential tool however, as for most materials either a jigsaw or tin snips would do the trick (and holesaws aren't exactly the cheapest thing)

and something everyone needs (for the projects that go wrong) the BFH....cant mod anything without one

Back