• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA 122-M2-NF59, post problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DrJack55

Registered
Before I got my current rig, I had an EVGA NF59 Nvidia SLI. It was a nice board, until about two months ago it wouldn't post and the post code flipped between 23/45. The manual didn't really give me much info ..

23 - Early programming of chipset registers.

45 - Reinitialize preboot agent serial port.

So I took the computer apart, salvaged what I could and got this new system. But just for s**ts n' grins today, I decided to put the old one back together just to see if it would post. MB + RAM + Video Cards (x2) + CPU = Post, then it couldn't find any HDD or anything else, but I could go in to BIOS.

So then I put an HDD and a DVD-RW in. It booted, didn't see the DVD, but said it found an A: drive. (I suspected it was something I did because both the HDD and DVD are older and are not SATA) Anywho, so I removed the DVD just to see if it would recognize the HDD and boot....

Well.. no.. it went back to flashing 23/45 on the board and wouldn't post at all.

At this point, I've removed the battery from the MB and unplugged it from the wall. Any advice besides "Get a new one", I've already done that, and this is becoming more of just a hobby/project.

Goal if I can get it to work is to give it to my daughter, and also so I can run BOINC in the background. Got a couple of NVIDIA cards I can throw in it to add to the number crunching power.

Progress.

Don't know how I missed it before, but the primary video card was causing the system to not post. Removed it and now not running SLI. System posts, although extremely slow. Hard drive is an 80g IDE job and I think has Win98 on it, although I swore it was XP. I'm tired now, will fight this dragon tomorrow after some rest.

Solved. Second Video Card is bad. Also, I had to reinstall (upgraded to Windows 7 - 64) the OS to get it to boot up in anything besides safe mode. Doesn't really bother me, I had a couple licenses floating around and I did want to make this one Win7-64 if I got it to work.

Now I just need to replace that damn loud CPU fan. Luckily I got my Mugen 2 delivered today, I'll probably put this Zalman 9700 currently in this system in to my daughters. Maybe I can overclock it a little for BOINC and still make it a lot quieter.

Meh... just happy to see this MB and CPU working. Made a great excuse to go build another system though.

Back