• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA fx5700 ultra at Best Buy (limited edition DDR II)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

walldow

these cards arn't even listed on EVGA's web sight but i saw them.$219 pluss tax.

how well would the ddr 2 oveclock than the ddr 1? or will it make a differance?

not worried about the core clock because plan on volt modding with water cooler!

debating on waiting for the Leadtek version?

walldow said:

ya! i read a review telling that. guess i'll wait for leadtek.

http://www.leadtek.com/3d_graphic/winfast_a360_ultratdh_1.html

why don't i get 5900? because i like the challange of overclocking the smaller cards!

the leadtek 5900 non-ultra is only $220 on newegg, the 5700 ultra is $200. the performance gap between the 2 cards is significant, but the price difference isnt. unless your just planning to benchmark the 5700 ultra out of curiosity and not game, theres no point in getting it when a superior card is almost the same price. nVidia's and ATi's release of new mid market cards is poorly timed, b/c slightly downgraded versions of their flagship cards are nearly the same price, but offer much greater performance (5900, 9700np, 9800np). u say u like the challenge of overclocking smaller cards, but does that mean youll choose the smaller one when its priced the same as a superior one?

no you don't understand i whant to see how fast i can get the clock on the 5700 ultra. i know what the 5900 is capable of!

TomaHawk47x said:

the leadtek 5900 non-ultra is only $220 on newegg, the 5700 ultra is $200. the performance gap between the 2 cards is significant, but the price difference isnt. unless your just planning to benchmark the 5700 ultra out of curiosity and not game, theres no point in getting it when a superior card is almost the same price. nVidia's and ATi's release of new mid market cards is poorly timed, b/c slightly downgraded versions of their flagship cards are nearly the same price, but offer much greater performance (5900, 9700np, 9800np). u say u like the challenge of overclocking smaller cards, but does that mean youll choose the smaller one when its priced the same as a superior one?

Dood... Walldow knows his caca when it comes to the cards! If you doubt his or my word in this, that 530/1100 pairing at the bottom line of his sig are the core/mem clocks of his 5600!!! He wants to get it to play with. Think of Walldow as a little boy, and the 5700 as a new set of Legos for him to play with. He's not concerned with gaming or benchies as much as the pleasure of oc'ing the sh!+ out of a mid-low end card.

BTW: Just a reminder, the stock clocks for his 5600u are 350 core/800 mem.

Personally I'd find out more about DDRII and how fast it is etc. before you buy one to test it. Just looking at some stats could give you a general idea how far the card will go.

-Overcrocked

the low end 5900 is the better deal. for $220 you get an 8 piped card. wich is double the rendering power of the 5700! even though it's clocked slower than the 5700 ultra, you'll get better bandwith because of the 8 pipe desighn, the 5900 uses a 256bit memory interface and the 5700 only uses 128bit.

however both the 5900 and the 5700 ultra havethe 256bit core

Last edited:
walldow said:
the low end 5900 is the better deal. for $220 you get an 8 piped card. wich is double the rendering power of the 5700! even though it's clocked slower than the 5700 ultra, you'll get better bandwith because of the 8 pipe desighn, the 5900 uses a 256bit memory interface and the 5700 only uses 128bit.

however both the 5900 and the 5700 ultra havethe 256bit core

the 5700 ultra has a 128bit core, not 256. this also makes their choice of dd2 pretty much irrelevant.

taken from tomshardware:

NVIDIA has chosen to use DDR2 modules running at 450MHz for the FX 5700 Ultra cards. Since the memory bus is only 128Bits wide, that means the memory bandwidth is only slightly higher than that of the FX 5600 Ultra (14.4GB/s vs. 12.8GB/s).

ill do some research for other cards + cooling for that card. id like to help you get the best o/c for that card. im intrested in its total potential on good cooling also.

i just noticed that leadtek one has ramsinks and a killa stock cooling. im not sure if you can get much better on air.

Yea, Leadtek has a pretty good track record w/ gf cards. Wall: isn't your 5600 a Leadtek?? Could always go w/ passive cooling too. Would one of those Zalman heatpipes fit on there??? Or you could always slap a waterblock on the card too... Might be better that way, since you'll prolly end up volt modding it...

TomaHawk47x said:

the 5700 ultra has a 128bit core, not 256. this also makes their choice of dd2 pretty much irrelevant.

taken from tomshardware:

NVIDIA has chosen to use DDR2 modules running at 450MHz for the FX 5700 Ultra cards. Since the memory bus is only 128Bits wide, that means the memory bandwidth is only slightly higher than that of the FX 5600 Ultra (14.4GB/s vs. 12.8GB/s).

thats right the memory bus is 128bit! but if you do some real research and look at some web sights of card manufactures you will see that the core arcatecture on the 5700 is 256bit just like the 5900!

http://www.leadtek.com/3d_graphic/winfast_a360_ultratdh_2.html
http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=14&PISNo=235

anyway i have had good luck with leadtek. they usually have better bios than the stock referance bios. like on my 5600 U they done away with the 2d mode wich i believed helped alot in the overclock also done away whith that auto detect clock speeds thing that really sucked.

so leadtek it is, the only problem is leadtek isn't releasing till the end of the month so i have to wait a couple of weeks while everyone else has there fun. thats ok i like playing catchup!
:D makes it even funner

my goal for the card 600/1200

TomaHawk47x said:

taken from tomshardware:

according to this spec sheet at NVnews the 5700U does have a 256bit core ..

FEATURES/SPECIFICATIONS

As stated earlier, the ASYLUM GeForce FX 5700 Ultra is based on the NVIDIA NV36 chipset. As with any new chipset launch, much speculation about the details precedes it. Today we are now able to present those details as the NDA was lifted this morning.

GPU NVIDIA® GeForce™ FX 5700 Ultra
NEW Architecture
1.5x GeForce FX 5600 Performance
3x GeForce FX 5600 vertex processing power
Support for DDR1/DDR2/GDDR3
NV36 is made using the 0.13 micron fabrication process at IBM's East Fishkill, New York facility.
API Support Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0, OpenGL for Microsoft® Windows®
Connectors VGA, DVI, S-Video out
Bus Type AGP
256-Bit Graphics Core
128-Bit Memory Interface
4-Pixels Per Clock (4x1 or 2x2 Configuration)
1.9 Billion pixels/sec (fillrate)
14.4GB/sec. Memory Bandwidth
356 Million Vertices/sec.
500MHz Core Clock
900MHz Memory Clock (effective)
400MHz Dual RAMDAC
NVIDIA nView Multi-Display Technology
NVIDIA CineFX 2.0 Engine
UltraShadow Technology
Supports AGP 8X, 4X, And 2X
NVIDIA Digital Vibrance Control 3.0
Supports Microsoft DirectX 9.0
128-Bit Precision Color
High Quality Anisotropic Filtering (64- tap)
Hardware MPEG-2 Support

BFG Technologies ASYLUM

Back