• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

evga gtx 480 or msi twin frozr 3 gtx 570?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lyons238

im contemplating these two cards. i can get the evga gtx 480 for $220 and the msi twin frozr 3 power edition gtx 570 for $309. from what i understand they both perform very similar. i see the 480 may be better at higher resolutions and has more ROP's and VRAM. but the 570 runs cooler, quieter, and probably clocks higher.

i will be running at 1080p and i do prefer my hardware to run cool. what do you guys think i should get?

GTX 570 hands down between those two.. Though the GTX 480 for that price is extremely tempting.

If you care about saving a few bucks; get the 480. Otherwise the 570 is the better buy IMO. The 480 is a power hog that runs quite hot..

In a similar price range; you could also look at the HD 7850 2GB if you wanted though. OC's very well, past stock 570 speeds; and has a very low power consumption. Just another option to throw out there.

7850 isnt supported under hackintosh. but im now considering a msi twin frozr 2 gtx 580 on ebay for 300. it says its a new oem card with no accessories. im going to get some more info on it and possibly get that, but im kind of weary. if not im just going to get the msi twin frozr 3 gtx 570. the 480 is a really good price but i know it runs extremely hott because my friend has one.

For the same price as the 570; I'd get the 580. If you can get a MSI Twin Frozr 2 GTX 580 for 300; I'd go for it. Faster, more power efficient and cooler running than a 480. For the same price as a 570? Why not?

The only time I'd say forget a GTX 580 is if the cost wasn't justified. The 580 isn't the best price/performance card by default; but for 300 bucks, that's a great buy.

For the same price as the 570; I'd get the 580. If you can get a MSI Twin Frozr 2 GTX 580 for 300; I'd go for it. Faster, more power efficient and cooler running than a 480. For the same price as a 570? Why not?

The only time I'd say forget a GTX 580 is if the cost wasn't justified. The 580 isn't the best price/performance card by default; but for 300 bucks, that's a great buy.

yeah but its on ebay and says "new - other (oem card - no accessories)". im not sure exactly what that means. wouldnt that probably mean it was a return or a defected item?

What's the ebayers rating like?

If it says new; and its' clearly not; just return it, open a dispute, etc etc.

No accessories is fine for most cards; just the card itself is enough; and download your own drivers.

It might've been a card given to like; a reviewer or something that they tested once or twice and is now selling. Not sure.

What's the ebayers rating like?

If it says new; and its' clearly not; just return it, open a dispute, etc etc.

No accessories is fine for most cards; just the card itself is enough; and download your own drivers.

It might've been a card given to like; a reviewer or something that they tested once or twice and is now selling. Not sure.

yeah i know but iv already rma'd so many items with this build i cant stand to wait any longer! the seller has 405 ratings with 99% positive. i messaged him asking about the card.

Hmm. Well it's your gamble. :p.

Oh; what is the rest of your system by the way? Just curious. And what card are you currently running.

currently running a loaded macbook pro.

my new system is as follows...

case: fractal r3
mobo: gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3
cpu: i7 2600k sandy bridge
cooler: corsair h80
gpu: ??
psu: corsair tx750m
ram: 8gb gskill rip jaws 1600
hdd: 1tb hitachi deskstar
ssd: 128gb crucial m4

Nice system. Any of the GPU's should do you well. But I'd stick with the 570 or 580. Just depending what you're willing to do.

yeah im leaning towards the 580 for 300. will it still be covered under any warranty by msi? or how does that work?

Back