• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA x58 3xSLI (e760)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaddMutt

I’m not sure if a motherboard can have a CBB (Cold Boot Bug) problem. I thought it was a fluke that my Evga x58 would not boot with my i7-975xe installed while being cool by a SS unit. I have switched the cpu to my i7-965xe and still have the same problem :-( The MB will start the boot process for about 1 1/2 sec and then shut down and restart the process all over again. I did not have this problem while running it on my AIO.
Thank You for any help :thup:

CBB are a real thing on some boards, sure. Im not sure if that board does or not. What temperature does your SS go down to? Maybe test out your theory by powering on at specific temperature intervals instead of allowing it to cool all the way down?

If you don't turn the SS on, will it boot? Many ways to test this out. :)

That's our wheelhouse, Dejo... but I can't recall if it was board specific... and/or if it would boot warmer and run colder. I surely recall it wasn't full pot benching like AMD was (right @Dolk?!!)!!

I'd try booting warmer and letting the SS get cooler and see if that helps. But keep an eye on temperatures, there is a tipping point.

Maybe check our overclocking guide for X58... that's one of the best guides EVER, on the web :)salute: @miallen).

Sorry for the late post. I had the same model back in 2018 that I benched a i7-980x under dice. IIRC on that board I used LET and Eraser to insulate around the socket. This time I have just used nail polish. My SS will do ~ -35c and is good at older 4c/8t cpu's but fails at running an enabled 6c/12t cpu :-(.. I had first tested with a i7-975xe and had the same problem but when the cpu was around -5c to -7c the board booted. Thinking that it was a CBB with the i7-975xe I switched it out with my i7-965xe that I had in my R3E. I was able to fully bench the board (R3E) and cpu (965xe) under this SS unit earlier in the month.

So, in short, what you are saying there is that at -35C you didn't run into a CBB, correct?

When we had the original OCforums Bench Party, we were amazed that that series of cpu's didnt like cold. When we were trying to get them running with LN2, there was no LN2 in the pot or they would not boot. Literally we just put a bit of LN2 in the pot and booted, if you got too cold while benching they would lock as well. We learned a lot about why you have a propane torch handy

Thanks for the help :) I believe I have found the problem but still need more testing. I have my benching station with the PSU plugged into easy-to-remove secondary connectors. I disconnected these and my EVGA booted/posted with no problem.

I used a ~ $1.50 90% motherboard adapter for the power (24 pin + 2x cpu cables) connections from my PSU. This made it easier to connect and disconnect when swapping out MBs for benching. As I stated earlier, everything was going good on benching with my Single Stage unit (-35c) until my asus r3e refused to post. I had benched it that morning (single core) and was going to try benching it with the cpu fully enabled. I started the motherboard about 3-4 hours after I had shut it down and the motherboard refused to post. To compound my errors in not finding the problem for weeks, I was using 2 different x58 motherboards (evga + asus) and 3 different cpus (i7-965xe, 975xe, and 980x). I was able to test and verify the motherboards worked with a AIO and a separate PSU BUT would refuse to boot/post or run for more that 1 minute when connected to benching table components. This change on monday as I had setup the benching table again (ASUS R3E) but when I started the motherboard it acted like there was a short with the PSU. <- This time I had also placed eraser around the cpu socket + did not tighten down the SS on to the cpu ->. I could hear the PSU switching on and off every 1 sec. Wishing to remove the possibility that my PSU (EVGA 1600w) was BAD/RMA, I removed the 90% adapters from the PSUs motherboard power connectors. With theses now removed, the motherboard booted and ran windows 7 with no problem.
^ This leads me to conclude that these cheap 90% adapters where the problem.

What are 90% (percent) adapters? Do you mean 90° (degrees)???

So, $1.50 adapters were the problem, eh.........

sorry - 90 degree adapters -
What are 90% (percent) adapters? Do you mean 90° (degrees)???

So, $1.50 adapters were the problem, eh.........
I know - and I had checked the connectors several times when I was trouble shooting BUT never removed them :-(

Back