• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVO 212 - upping fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Groov3st3r

I really didn't want to spam another fan-related thread but I didn't want to hijack a solved one either, so here goes.

I am very pleased with my EVO 212, with a single 120mm fan it keeps my 4.7ghz i5 very cool indeed. But I have this feeling that it COULD be better.

And I want it to be better. So I went out there to see what could be done and to my horror (utter, complete, unexpected, movie-like horror ;)) I could not find anything. Maybe I'm looking wrong but I just can't find any oem fans in Europe.

Ebay comes up with nothing, Amazon dies too. Overclockers.co.uk is too confusing and has a very wide array of case fans - which is not what I want..

I did finally manage to find V6GT fans that would fit, but I could not purchase them immediately and now they are gone, vanished... google is clueless as to where they have gone. They do stock EVO fans in USA, but P&P for that kind of purchase would be ridiculous.

Do you guys have any favorites? Any fans that you know/use that fit this particular heatsink?
I should add that Im looking for 2 fans with speed greater than 2000rpm, to increase airflow and drop full load temps. Any ideas?

At the moment, noise isn't at all an issue. My current Radeon 5770 has a broken fan - I believe that for two years if not longer, it has been running at 100% and there is nothing I can do about that. Card was 2nd hand and so I got it less than half price :) It basically sounds like a fully working CD-Drive, all the time.

So I'm used to noise :p

Anyway, I don't live in USA and shipping to Europe kills any value on fans. Well, cheers anyway.

EDIT:
I came across ehume' post earlier, before posting. I will read through it properly, but my impression was he was talking about 140mm fans?

And I don't know why but I find the Noctua NF P12 fan just plain ugly.... nowhere near as sleek and sexy as the OEM CM fan I have :p

Last edited:
Ahhh, well the links I provided will give you an idea of the fans that are 2000+ RPMs and maybe you can find it in your part of the country.

Looked through ehume' post and Blade Master caught my attention.

Also, on a CM website (one of many?) I managed to find fans that look almost exactly like the one I have but slightly faster. Looking at comparable fans to see if there are any better ones

51 or 15?

I think the one you mean is a Gentle Typhoon, right? they spin up to 4250 rpm 0.0 Obviously cost a lot but it could be a good replacement.

I think I'll just order 2 AP-30'ties and let it rip :p

Thanks for steering me in the right direction :), world of fans is confusing 0.0

EDIT:

Just bought 2x AP-30 fans, HD7950 Twin Frozr 3 and a 6 to 8 pin converter. And I think that this concludes my spendings on this computer, for a long time. Thanks guys :)

Last edited:
Just came on to review what I got :)

So everything I ordered arrived today. I put it together, card has 2x 6pin power connectors but I didn't have /couldn't find the right connector - oh well, used MOLEX and done deal.

Initially I plugged the fans into the wrong molex so they spun fast initially but started gradually slowing down.
Switched everything off, plugged them into the correct cables - they now share one of the 6-pin's with the card... master of temporary solutions - and started up.

Click > wooooooooooooooosh.
Jesus Christ, these fans are like miniature jet engines 0.0 ''GENTLE Typhoon'' :p 4100 rpm indicated, yes they make more noise but the tone of it.... I have to say, these are the best fans I came across so far :D Even the little whine as they spool down upon switching off. Quality product worth the 63$ I spent on them :)

And I have to commend you, Conumdrum, you know how to choose a fan :)

Well if you wanted a performance gain worth spending the money they are great. And you can slow then down when you need to.

I have seen folks buy fans just a little bit better and don't get the gains they thought they would. So do it right or not at all I say.

Just came on to review what I got :)

So everything I ordered arrived today.

Click > wooooooooooooooosh.
Jesus Christ, these fans are like miniature jet engines 0.0 ''GENTLE Typhoon'' :p 4100 rpm indicated, yes they make more noise but the tone of it.... I have to say, these are the best fans I came across so far :D Even the little whine as they spool down upon switching off. Quality product worth the 63$ I spent on them :)

And I have to commend you, Conumdrum, you know how to choose a fan :)

:rofl:
:clap:

Hope you strapped them to the back of the case so they don't pull your cooler out and fly away. :D
Good thing I wasn't drinking a cup of coffee.

I have several Thermalright TY-143 2500rpm 130cfm fans that never go about 1000-1100rpm... Unless I need an ego boost when I've showing off my big bad SA SB-E or TC14PE while they're ogling & aahing I set the PWM control to max. Get similar comments to yours. :thup:

Okay. So you went for the almost biggest AP fan, and you like it. Now put the old fans on and give us load tests results VS the new fans. I think you have your old numbers, might have to normalize for diff room temp conditions.

Tell us how those new baybeeys dropped your load temps. We wanna know!

:rofl:
:clap:

Hope you strapped them to the back of the case so they don't pull your cooler out and fly away. :D
Good thing I wasn't drinking a cup of coffee.

I have several Thermalright TY-143 2500rpm 130cfm fans that never go about 1000-1100rpm... Unless I need an ego boost when I've showing off my big bad SA SB-E or TC14PE while they're ogling & aahing I set the PWM control to max. Get similar comments to yours. :thup:

sorry but that was good.:rofl::thup:

Back