• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Exessive PF usage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

This is a cross post, but dont shoot me, it went from a video card prob to a Memory prob. When I run my games they are using 1.3g's of mem and The CPU is running at less than %50 :shrug:

Background:
I just installed a 6600 GT into my rig w/ a fresh install of WinXp SP2. Upon the occasional reboot I would get a steady beep and the comp would shut down. Odd, press PWR and she boots up fine. This is intermittent, not every reboot results in this. I figure it is the ram so I reseat them and mix and match them. Still getting the Beep. I try a few games to savour the Video card upgrade.....poor poor performance, was blaming the video card till i noticed that mem usage was supah' high and CPU usage was low.
Before the Vid card install I did not have any of these probs.
What is going on?

Check your PSU voltages with a multimeter.

Did you have the high mem usage while running the same games before the new card? If not, it could be a driver issue. OTOH, some games actually use more than 1GB of RAM these days.

I have made 2 hardware changes this week. A new 450 Antec Smart power PS and the 6600 GT. I did not have a prob w/ games using over 1 gig of ram before the changes.
Unfortunatly i do not have a Voltmeter.

Back