• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Expected Temperature Drops

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Little Dump

Registered
What sort of temperature drops can I expect from the following?

a) Replacing ribbon cables with round ribbon cables

b) Lapping the heatsink (its looking pretty rough and scratched right now)

c) Allowing AS5 to set in over 200 hours with regular thermal cycling

Thanks

depends on what you describe as "rough" :) i gained 25°C by going from my stock intel P3 cooler (had "pins" on it as high as a whole millimeter :eek: whole mountainrange) to a coolermaster cooler, which was perfectly flat :) dont think the coolermaster is that much better, because afterwards i lapped the stock HS and used it out of curiosity, and temps rose 15°C from the coolermaster

stock cooler: 55°C
Coolermaster: 30°C
stock cooler lapped: 45°C

so lapping can sure as hell make a difference :)

room temp with temps above was 20°C all the time (AC) and the case doesnt have panels but because of no exhaust, case temp was 30°C even though the case was fully open lol (not diode bad reading, stuck my hand in there, it really was warmer :eek:)

edit: Replacing ribbon cables will help when you have decent airflow, and i must note that rounding flat cables yourself is:
1: Fun to do, extra experience.
2: Cheaper.
3: Home-made round cables are easier to "manuever" (sp?)
4: a bit better looking if you do it right

though watch out you dont cut wrong because then youll have to play around with tape lol :D (one of my IDE cables has got 3 yellow patches of tape lol, cable works fine though)

aaah, why cant we have more than 6 smileys??

Back