• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Experience with EVO 212 and AM3+ in Antec 300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Man, how awesome is this. Anyhow, I missed the sale on the H80i, and didn't want to spend over $100, so I got my second choice for Christmas from my wife. Before I get into the install (a few problems) lets talk positives.

My rig is in my sig, but anyhow, we're talking about a GB AM3+ board and an overclocked 8150 CPU inside a bit crowded Antec 300 case.

So anyhow, I was going a bit crazy before as my stock cooler was so loud and the temps were crazy. In November I was getting a completely idled down socket temp of 40C but as soon as ANY activity, even something like opening Firefox or gods forbid watching an HD video with MadVR my temps would go to over 80C, socket and individual cores alike, and not to mention the banshee wail of the cpu fan.

Now, with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, I can't believe it. I come into the computer room and it's over a week after the install and I still think my computer crashed or something because everything is so quiet (I did replace some of case fans too, but the CPU fan was incredibly loud even at idle).

For the life of me I cannot get the temps to go over 40C, amazing (I did use AS5 instead of the paste that came with the cooler, but probably wouldn't have made a diff anyway), and that is with P95 going full on all 8 cores, but the most amazing is that there is no noise, and everyday usage, even MadVR with good settings (Jinc AR for example) doesn't do anything to the noise or the temps of the case or the cpu socket/cores. I am totally impressed. Oh, I used the fan that came with the cooler, and did not attach a second for push-pull, it's just push from the bottom, and I have a 140mm fan on top of the case that pulls directly above the cooler.

However, a little warning for those with a smaller case, when I removed the back plate to put on the EVO plate, I noticed I couldn't see the top holes, I was freaking out at first, though I was going to have to pull the whole motherboard, but all it needed is needle nose and a bit of a bend of the metal, and the holes revealed themselves, so no need for any mobo removal, and I only had to bend the metal about 5mm, install, then bend it back best I could (doesn't matter anyway, non-visible.

Just my .02, I was freaking out at first, but after I pulled myself together, the install was a breeze and I am ecstatic. I don't think the Corsair H80i could do a better job, or a quieter job, and if it could, it could only match it, so I saved myself $100 (the diff between the two)!!

I put a 212 on my wife's X6 AM3 cpu and it is near dead silent. I don't think we have the EVO version but at any rate, my experience is very similar to your. It's tall but it's light and efficient.

I've used 212s, both pluses and evos, in several builds for just those reasons. For $30 coolers they are surprisingly good.

Indeed, I'm very happy, for the price, they are awesome, and a breeze to install (even with the slight problem of non-visible holes that was easily rectified)..

I just install a FX 8370 chip into my computer with my
G.Skill Sniper 1866 CL9 16GB DDR3 ram
Cool Master 212 EVO cpu cooler
Sadartooth R2.0 motherboard
EVGA Super Nova 850w Gold PSU
MSI R9 280x PSU
1 SATA DVD Drive
SATA III 6GB 1T drive
SATA 500GB drive both drives on port 1-2 set on AHCI
on in a Phanteks Enthoo Series case!
So far my CM 212 EVO is keeping my cpu at 31c an mother board at 28c on normal bios setting {no OC} 4ghz haven't check game playing yet to see if it goes any goes more on the temps . I did add a second fan like the one that came with it an have push pull set-up.

As it happens to be, I am building a Core i7-3960x (6 core) and I bought the 212 EVO for it. I am once again very happy with it.

Put my 8370 on wife's setup for a couple weeks, was very surprised to see the 212 EVO with 2xSP120 push/pull (NZXT S340 case) hitting a 4.4ghz overclock ~60c. Definitely worth the money :)

Back