• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Controller for radiator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When you daisy chain the fans to one channel, are you soldering the lines together at the same spot? I've never soldered before, nor have I tried to make a daisy chain of fans so I am trying to gather info so I only need to do it once.

I always solder each connection, then shrink tube each line, then shrink tube them all together.

Listen, I'm not saying it won't work for you, but I can't seem to get a decent RPM signal out of a spliced set of fans so I just thought I'd give you a heads up.

I'm not looking to get the rpm sensor working. I'm actually going to use a fan controller without the rpm showing. I am just looking to see what the cleanest way to chain the fans together will be.

I'm thinking that since I will be running all the same fans on one channel then I could get rid of the yellow wires on two of the fans and keep just one yellow wire to show the rpm of the set of fans. That is if I were to use a fan controller with an rpm sensor.

Are there any decent guides to first time soldering of fan wires?

Yep, your correct at that. It kinda ruins the fans for individual use but a waire can be easily added.

I'll make a quick pic guide this weekend etc using some old stuff and open up some connections on my old Yate Loons 3x parelled for a rad. Can't get to it till this weekend.

I'm thinking that since I will be running all the same fans on one channel then I could get rid of the yellow wires on two of the fans and keep just one yellow wire to show the rpm of the set of fans. That is if I were to use a fan controller with an rpm sensor.
Are there any decent guides to first time soldering of fan wires?

I'm pretty sure that splicing all three RPM wires together like in the picture beow is where I went wrong, back when I was actually interested in monitoring it on my digital controller. Leaving only one RPM wire will work, and should give you an accurate representation of what all three fans are doing since they are all getting pretty much the same amperage.

I'm not looking to get the rpm sensor working. I'm actually going to use a fan controller without the rpm showing. I am just looking to see what the cleanest way to chain the fans together will be.

I'll let you know how I did my wiring while you're waiting for C. It's quite easy once you actually put the fans on the rad and visualize it. I did this without a guide, and without any prior soldering experience and it worked out just great. Since you want to leave one RPM wire, this example will include that. Sorry, at the time I did not take step by step pictures but I think you will get the drift.

Assuming you have the fans, you'll need:
1. Wire Strippers that go down to 20 gauge.
2. Wire cutters or kitchen shears.
3. Shrink tubing & Lighter - 2 or 3mm and some 1cm tube should do.
4. Solder gun and solder. Optional, you don't really need this, but I'm anal. Practice on some scrap wire b4 you start. It's pretty easy though.
5. Some kind of mat to solder over so you won't burn what's underneath.

- Use the nozzle end of the rad as a reference. The wires on a stock yate loon fan will reach the length of the rad.
- Pull all 9 of the wires tight along the side of the fan bodies like in my picture and cut them all in the same place(save the ends), but make sure to leave a few inches to play with. When you do this, obviously the far fan will have the longest wires, shorter for the mid and shortest for the near fan. Then nip the yellow wire of from the far and middle fans right at the fan body.
- Then bundle the far fan wires and the middle fan wires and slip a shrink tube over them and slide it back as far as it will go. This will hold the wires tight to the fan frames and keep things neat. This is shown in the picture below.
- Then do the shrink tube thing with the 4 bundled wires from the far and mid fans and the 3 wires from the near fan to keep them tight to the side of the fan bodies as is also in the picture below.
- Now you've got a bundle of 7 wires (3 black, 3 red and 1 yellow).
- Strip about 3/4" of insulation of each wire in order of color, and twist the matching colors together into one.
- Slip a 2" piece of shrink tube over each twisted pair as well as the yellow wire and pull it back out of the way. You can just as easily do this on the fan connector side. Then slip a 2" piece of bigger shrink tube over that.
- Now take the fan connector you cut from the near fan, cut to desired length, strip 1" of insulation and twist together with the corresponding color wires on the rad side. Solder each connection, slip the shrink tube over the each soldered connection and heat it. Then the larger shrink tube over the three connections, heat it and you're done.

Finished product:
completew.gif

Last edited:
Wow, that does seem pretty simple. Thanks for the break down step by step. I wouldn't have thought about heat shrinking the individual lines and that would be bad.

I bought a Lamptron FC-2 Rheobus Fan Controller which has 45W per channel and there are 6 channels. There are three 4 pin connectors on one power line (black and red wires). Do I need to connect three 4-pin connectors from my PSU to all three connections on the fan controller?

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/lamptron_fc-2_rheobus_fan_controller/2
That is your controller correct?

Plug a 4pin Molex from your PSU into the controller, connect your 3 pin fan wires and you're of to the races.
The particular 4 pin Molex connection on that controller simply allows you to use a male or female, but also has a third connections to allow you to run another device in series.
Maybe like another LC-2 controller or a monitor panel or something.

Con, looking forward to your tutorial since I will be looking to do the same thing as the OP.....if the FC-5 ever comes in stock anywhere. :shrug:

Hey Conumdrum,

Are you saying that your fan soldering in parallel is in your article on the front page? I've looked through it several times and can't find it.

Well I did it that way. Shows my old wiring in a pic, but I didn't make a tutorial on that.

I should of took pics as I made up my new fans for the rad, didn't even think about that, grrr.

I have seen a post/tutorial over a year ago somewhere. I looked and couldn't find it anywhere.

this fan controller can handle up to 45 watts per channel.... i still dont know if you can wire all 6 fans to that channel you should be able to though... i have 6 ultrakaze fans 3000 rpm, 134cfm, 12v/0.6A each.... that totals to 43A... i think ill just wire 3 and 3 and use 2 channels....

Lamptron Fan Controller FC-2

Back