• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan filter\noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
its good to know. I was worried because those fans are already a little loud not unbearable but still... at this point I'm just trying to find a way to cut out some of the finer dust thats getting into my system the filters that come on the 800D work pretty well but there is alot of fine dust in my place.

Thanks for the quick answer there Edawg ;)

I recently modified my case because of the noise. Although it's still a work in progress, I found that most of the noise comes from any mesh you have over your fans, especially circular mesh. The filters hardly add any noise at all.

I was kind of testing for that. Were I was running the fans not mounted against the case and the honey comb pattern on my case and it didn't seem to make much or any difference that I could tell. Ill probably give one of those filters a shot at some point and try and keep some of that fine dust out of my computer.

I was kind of testing for that. Were I was running the fans not mounted against the case and the honey comb pattern on my case and it didn't seem to make much or any difference that I could tell. Ill probably give one of those filters a shot at some point and try and keep some of that fine dust out of my computer.

I barely noticed much noise from the honeycomb mesh. I think some meshes, even of the same type, are tighter than others and cause more turbulence, while some are more open and don't make as much of a difference. For instance, I have the stamped honeycomb mesh on the side of my Antec 300 case but it's pretty open and doesn't make much noise, but on the back side of the fan there was a filter with another honeycomb mesh that had a little smaller openings, and after I cut the honeycomb mesh off of the filter it's nearly silent. The front fans made a lot, and I mean A LOT of noise pulling through the front circular mesh because it's holes are very small, the filter didn't seem to make a noticeable difference, and then there was a slightly different honeycomb mesh stamped into the fan mounts that was more like the filter on the side of my case, after I got rid of those meshes the thing is nearly silent with filters.

i like to hear that. I know its not a lot of money to test them but i still hate the idea of buying something I'm just going to throw in my box of old\unused junk that someday i may want or need but wont throw away... we all have one of those.

i like to hear that. I know its not a lot of money to test them but i still hate the idea of buying something I'm just going to throw in my box of old\unused junk that someday i may want or need but wont throw away... we all have one of those.

I have a whole room full of it. :D

Back