• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan for my 947u...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerileous

I am running a 2500+ and its hitting 2248mhz easy (1.75v), but temp becomes and issue as I aproach 2300 with 1.8v. (i have hit 2398mhz before but with better cooling that I was borrowing) My case cooling has 2 80mm ins ~30cfm, 2 80mm outs ~30cfm, and a side in over vid ~30cfm. I also have a 120mm psu exhaust. I am planning on adding a Tt thunderblade 120mm (free to me) over the CPU and maybe duct it in (though i would like more air to hit the mosfets, ram and NB too so i dont want it all down onto the HSF. My HSF is a SLK-947u w/ an enermax 92mm running about 60cfm. I know that pressure is a big deal w/ the this HS. I also have heard that 80mms proform a little better. Load noise isnt a big issue b/c i can wear headphones to game, but when idle i want it to be quieter (about where I sit with a CPU fan ant about 40, and 6 other fans at about 30 db)
Thus i am considering:

-Tt or CM counterrotating fan setup
-Tt SFII (though i have heard they are not as good anymore)
-Vantec Tornado @ either 80mm or 92mm w/ sunbeam
-CM centrifugal blower

I would like any suggestions, or info you can provide about these or other setups.

Thanks.

Yes, go to sidewinder.com and check out the Delta 3 blade fans. Great air pressure and small center hub make them great for heatsinks. Good luck.

thanks, im putting togather an excell spreadsheet. It looks like for anything but a Smart Fan, I will need a sunbeam. Is it true that Tt exagerates its stats, their SF seems to be too good to be true, and this is Tt we are dealing with.
How are the cooler master blowers?

Ok, here are the top candidates:
Delta 3 Blade Hight Speed: 9.42 mm h20; 79.81 CFM; 46.0 dBA
Delta Extremem Speed: 21.10 mmH2O; 126.48 CFM; 59.2 dBA (this might be too much even w/ noise canceling headphones on)
TT LED Smart Fan: 7.2 mmH2O; 78.7 CFM; 48.5 dBA
Tornado: 18mm H20; 120CFM; 57.6 dBA (once again, might be too loud)
Status Quo Enermax: 2.84mmH20; 41.7CFM; 22.6 dBA.

Again, I say Delta 3 blade. Please nots too, that some manufactuers over state cfm and under state dBA. Delta is pretty straight with that stuff. The 48 dBA of the Delta would be the loudest I could tolerate, but that's different for everyone. Good luck with whatever you choose.

fldrice said:
You need an 80mm fan with a minimum of 75cfm for optimal performance.

is there a reason you say 80mm? Could you elaborate on where you get these specs and why 75cfm is the threshold?

Thanks.

The most important stat in a fan for a heatsink is air pressure, not cfm. Air pressure is what drives the air into the heatsink for cooling.

Zerileous said:
is there a reason you say 80mm? Could you elaborate on where you get these specs and why 75cfm is the threshold?
Thanks.

Greater air pressure towards the center of the hsf, less dead spot in the center. I had this hs on my old AXP setup and the 80mm fan worked better than the 92mm.

Get 3 blade delta either mid or high it's up to your tolerance.
Make sure you use a spacer between the sink and the fan, it'll give you a nice drop. Also you might want to try to set the fan up to suck air away from the sink.

A blower is a good idea too if you can mount it.

i have tried a spacer and it didnt work too well, i belive i had a fair ammount of trouble mounting it because the clips are designed to go over the top. And with such a low pressure fan, it didnt help. So, how would I get it done with this setup? Im afriad that a sucking setup will lead to air coming in from outside of the sink and not going between the fins, but its worth a shot.

Also, I dont understand the 80mm argument if the fan used doesnt have a signifigantly larger central hub, if the fan used is spaced, or if the fan used has straightening veins.

Could you elaborate.

Zerileous said:
i have tried a spacer and it didnt work too well, i belive i had a fair ammount of trouble mounting it because the clips are designed to go over the top. And with such a low pressure fan, it didnt help. So, how would I get it done with this setup? Im afriad that a sucking setup will lead to air coming in from outside of the sink and not going between the fins, but its worth a shot.

Also, I dont understand the 80mm argument if the fan used doesnt have a signifigantly larger central hub, if the fan used is spaced, or if the fan used has straightening veins.

Could you elaborate.

I've done the spacer idea on my SLK800 and I just made my own clips. It's not that hard.

what do you guys think of a high speed 3 blade unregulated?

If i go to the point of getting a sunbeam would there be a point in the 3 blade as opposed nado or super high speed delta? Im thinking it might be more efficient at low speeds edc. I dont really know what level of noise i can tolerate though (a max nado is a bit high but it might be doable in game).

yes, if you got the high-speed 3-blade delta, which puts out 45dba, you'd be able to adjust it down to lower speeds still

i know i could adjust it, im just wondering if I will be regretting not going all out later. What seems like my best option atm would be the 3 blade and then just run it and if its too loud grab a sunbeam, but i dont want to regreat getting the lower power fan.

Zerileous said:
i know i could adjust it, im just wondering if I will be regretting not going all out later. What seems like my best option atm would be the 3 blade and then just run it and if its too loud grab a sunbeam, but i dont want to regreat getting the lower power fan.

Yeh getting a higher power fan and getting a controler later if it's too loud is the better choice.

well, i know the super high speed will be too loud, and it costs a bit more. The high speed 3 blade might not be too loud and im wondering how much I might miss having the extra umph of the super high speed delta.

Zerileous said:
well, i know the super high speed will be too loud, and it costs a bit more. The high speed 3 blade might not be too loud and im wondering how much I might miss having the extra umph of the super high speed delta.

Well if you're at a LAN and wanna feel like a big man then it'll come in handy.

In all seriousness the High will do, but if you want that extra power stored up for a rainy day then you will want the Super.

ok, thanks for the advice. Now im more satisfied with my current setup as we speak. Turns out I was a bit neglegant with cleaning and dust had become a real problem. Idle temps are down by 6*. Though with the new bus disconect prog, I am thinking that for browsing i could get my comp really quiet with a sunbeam (using the high 3 blade) and then get really powerful cooling for games. I really appreciate all the help guys, I will make another post if I need more help.

Back