• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan resistor guide?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smiled

Looking for an up to date fan resistor guide?

I'm trying to under volt my 120mm fan, cause I'm tired of hearing a vacuum when I'm on the computer.

I've already rewired the fan to 7 and 5 volt mod. But the 7 volt doesn't seem to safe and the 5 volt does little to nothing.

I'm not to familiar with electronics and need a guide to modding with resistors.

Will be using a 3pin 120mm fan rated at 2000RPM with a molex adapter if that helps.

Edit:
Just looked at resistor prices, WOW. Better off just getting a pack of pre built noise reduction cables.

Last edited:
or a fan controller... or hook it up to your motherboard headers and control it from there.

Thanks for the guide, but I got lazy and went ahead and got some noise reducing cables instead. Came in a five pack. Original plan was to use it on just one fan, but now I'll be using it on an additional pc and multiple fans.

or a fan controller... or hook it up to your motherboard headers and control it from there.

Don't have a fan controller and these fans are 3 pin, so no mobo fan control.

^Yep, they usually run them from 40 to 100% (800 to 200rpm usually).

Just be aware of the max wattage, usually 25/30W per plug.

Ok I must have overlooked something or forgot to mention something.

This is a case fan and not the cpu fan. The case fan has 3 pins. The mobo needs 4 pin to control. Even with just the 3 pin fan I can't change the voltage on the fan, thus I went the modding path.

Unless I'm missing a step, I don't know how I would change the voltage on the case fan using the mobo header.

What's your MoBo model?

Well this is what I'm working with.

Mobo: Gigabyte LGA 1155 DDR3 1600 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Motherboard GA-H77N-WIFI

The fan: Cooler Master 120mm R4 Computer Case Fan

Back