• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fanless Cooling? How good is it now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

In my next build (either similar to what I have below, or a bit faster, or MAYBE an miniITX if possible, not sure due to space) I'm considering going fanless. I'd like to know how advanced is it now? Is it truly a viable alternative that is RELIABLE? Or are people finding that it's not quite ready for prime time?

A friend of mine recommended this. I haven't read in fanless yet, but I'm aware many people are doing it. I just don't know any personally.

https://www.quietpc.com/nof-icepipe

Thanks in advance.

Not sure about "fanless", but going fanless is pretty much non existent as you have to have some sort of airflow to remove the heat. So fanless is an oxymoron.

You really can't go "fanless".

It's a great idea if you can make it work without airflow, but how will the heat be removed?

Not sure about "fanless", but going fanless is pretty much non existent as you have to have some sort of airflow to remove the heat. So fanless is an oxymoron.

You really can't go "fanless".

It's a great idea if you can make it work without airflow, but how will the heat be removed?

That's what I was wondering too. I haven't paid attention to the fanless heat sink products and those that like them. So I'm a fish out of water here. I know there's a crowd of people that want a silent PC, and makers have made efforts to some degree.

I'm wondering how effective a fanless heat sink is compared to one with a fan, assuming the air flow between both cases is equal (we'll assume a fan of some sort exchanges the air).

Are they as good? I can't image they are to be honest. But as I said, I haven't been watching this segment closely. Hence my question.

I would agree with CD. I would think if you're running stock speeds, then you might get away with it. I wouldn't use one on an oc'ed chip tho.

In my next build (either similar to what I have below, or a bit faster, or MAYBE an miniITX if possible, not sure due to space) I'm considering going fanless. I'd like to know how advanced is it now? Is it truly a viable alternative that is RELIABLE? Or are people finding that it's not quite ready for prime time?

A friend of mine recommended this. I haven't read in fanless yet, but I'm aware many people are doing it. I just don't know any personally.

https://www.quietpc.com/nof-icepipe

Thanks in advance.

I did go fanless with a Sempron 140 and Xigmatek Thor's Hammer back then.
I can remember the temps were never went beyond 65 under prime95 (no side panel, no case fan, but top exhaust via PSU in an "old school" style casing)
it's an 45watt chip, though

I personally wouldn't go for the heatsink on the link that you mentioned.
it will be pain that one day I found the need to put a fan on it.
something like the Thermalright HR-22 might be a better option, IMHO.
it was originally designed to be a passive heatsink, but it still allow the user to mount a fan or even two whenever it's required.
I also notice that in the past, the Scythe had designed lot of passive heatsinks.

anything massive should be able to go passive, as long as the chip has reasonable TDP.
and it's mandatory to pick the heatsink which won't be blocking the airflow inside the case (ie. larger fins gap).

I have and have used a zalman reservator V1, worked fine for a single and dual core at stock clocks.
I still drag it out once in a while.

The Noctua NH-D14 was a decent fanless heatsink. The NH-D15 and the NH-D15S are good, too. But you need airflow. Those Nofans use only two heatpipes. That tells you they are minor league coolers. You are better off with a used NH-D14 and a Scythe DSB120 500rpm fan as a push fan, or a Scythe DSB120 800rpm fan as a push fan.

Thanks a lot guys. I'm going to pass after reading the comments and stick with what I know. My box isn't that noisy to begin with.

Back