• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fans and fan controller something wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soulschizm

Ok so i bought 4 120mm fans to put on the side of my case and a fan controller i hook everything up its all great but the fan controller wont go over 1850. these are my rpm of all 4 fans..

fan1 - 1770

fan2 - 1830

fan3 - 1740

fan4 - 1680

And these fans are for 2000rpm now i was wondering maybe i overlooked something and was wondering if anyone here knew why? maybe a setting or maybe the controller itself isn't powerful enough or something?

Controller - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998055

Fans - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200049

i hope linking is ok o.o

thanks to anyone who can help!!

Bypass the controller. Run each fan individually and see how fast they spin. Fan specs are notorious for not being accurate. Maybe your fans don't go over 1850 and your controller is working properly.

ill try it :)

Alright ill give that a shot and see what happens thanks :) ill post with new info when i get it.

i'm thinkin the controller itself maybe isnt strong enough because when i turn 3 fans off and leave 1 on it reaches above 1900 but ive seen videos of this controller and people have there fans going 2600+rpm but ill give what you said a shot and see what happens

Ok so i bought 4 120mm fans to put on the side of my case and a fan controller i hook everything up its all great but the fan controller wont go over 1850. these are my rpm of all 4 fans..I assume these are all on separate channels?

fan1 - 1770

fan2 - 1830

fan3 - 1740

fan4 - 1680

And these fans are for 2000rpm now i was wondering maybe i overlooked something and was wondering if anyone here knew why? maybe a setting or maybe the controller itself isn't powerful enough or something?

Controller - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998055

Fans - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200049

i hope linking is ok o.o

thanks to anyone who can help!!
The fan controller should have plenty of power. The controller is 1A /channel while the fan is rated at .4A = ~4-5W.

Also note usually RPM accuracy is about 10%.

You can only try measuring the voltage going to the fan with a multimeter. It should be darn close to 12v at full throttle.

i havnt tried the thing above yet but i'm lookin at it again and 2 are at 1800-1840 and the other 2 are at 1700-1740 but thats still little off of 2k but i still plan on taking one and plugging it straight into my mobo and checking what the rpm goes to. but yeah this controller should be able to run it and then some so idk maybe the fans dont go to 2000rpm even tho it says they do.

also i havnt seen much cooling improvement i replaced a 230mm with these 4 120mm but i'm not seeing much at all. can anyone give me any other options to get better cooling? for a decent price. my temps are fine but i dont like them when iam playing games. right now idle my video card is 23c which is fantastic but goes to 60-65c when playing bf3 beta. thanks again for answering :)

Your controller is perfect. You have nothing to worry about. A fan with 12 VDC will run at about 10% of the rated RPM.

A fan controller has electronic stuff to control voltages. So, 12VDC in, you have FETS, resistors etc in play. There is a natural loss in voltage. I am an elec tech and used to teach electonics. Perfectly normal. Just fine, don't worry, it's not the latest solar flare or a satellite falling in the area. Or Zombies.

You can see typically up to 10% loss in output voltages.

Hey, reviewers of fan controllers, maybe this is something you can look at? Voltage drop on each channel?

Lastly, these controller specs from the Newgg site you link:
Maximum Fan Ampere per Channel 1 Ampere (= 12 W max.) Kinda low these days.

And this one for giggles:
Precious aluminum design, I know Smeagol loves it, hehe. Lord Of The Rings dude.

Last edited:
BS...IT IS ZOMBIES! RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!

/end thread while I get my rations together.

Its common to see that much loss Conum? Damn, maybe I have had good fan controllers (Lamptron and Scythe Kaze + Kaze Server), they were usually within 1%=2% at worst IIRC. Lucky me! :)

Last edited:
i knew the 60-65c temps were fine but lol i want lower ^^ i was just checkin to make sure everything was in order. thanks guys/gals :)

i still have another 120mm fan to put in to direct right at my video card but idk which i want another one of these same 120mm or something with more rpm prolly get another one of these ^^ thanks tho makes me feel alot better *considering this is my first build*

its not a problem and those temps are GREAT already. Dont fix something working well. Its only going to cause more noise for ZERO returns.

Those numbers don't look too far off. If you have one, it doesn't hurt to check the voltage they're getting with a multimeter.

Hey, reviewers of fan controllers, maybe this is something you can look at? Voltage drop on each channel?

I've only had lamptron controllers to review, but every one of them has load drop numbers. To wit: FC2/FC3, Touch, FC8, FC9. With the FC8 & 9 I actually moved to showing voltage drop over multiple loads rather than just with max load. :thup:

Okay, got replies from the experts, thank guys.
So, in summary you will see a fan controller loss and fan differences. Tme for late dinner, no more drinks, and watch out for Zombies.

Or is it breakfast for me?

Back