• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FANs: and my problem with them. [discussion]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trueblack

this is really an observation.
the fan market is not really improving in the last few years.

right now, given the technology, manufacturers can probably make pretty quiet fans with 150+ CFM, but on our consumer level, the quiet choice remains GT 1850/2150 RPMs, which is just 60-70 CFM.

then anyhigher airflows, comes with 35dB + noise.

I was at the local (hong kong) retailer earlier, looking at the new shipments, and manufacturers dare to give fans like 80 CFM with 40dBA, or 20dBA with like 30CFM. :bang head:

does anyone share my frustration?
and is there anything we can do about it?

I wonder can we 'make our own' fans and show them.

I think there are limits to what you can push through an opening 120mm in diameter. You can get fancy, but air is air.

Recent novel designs:

Attached rim: Antec True Quiet Pro followed by eLoop.

25mm fan with vanes: Noctua NF-F12

Many vanes: Silverstone Air Penetrator

Staggered vanes: Noctua NF-F12

Staggered blades: saw it somewhere, can't remember where.

Quiet PWM circuitry: Noctua PWM fans

Not to mention all the different bearing designs.

Now, I have at least two of all the GT's except the 5400 rpm: AP-11, AP-12, AP-13, AP-14, AP-15, AP-2150, AP-29, AP-30. I've even converted the latter two to PWM. They're nice fans, but some people with hearing in the higher ranges can hear their bearings. For them a fluid dynamic bearing is better.

Now ponder this: a 120mm circle takes up 78% of a 120mm square. Since all 120mm fans sweep less than 120mm, they don't sweep the full 120x120mm window. And then the hub takes up more room. A 140mm fan on the same square space like the TY-140 takes up the entire 120x120mm window, wasting little on the sides.

You want a better 120mm fan? Get a 140mm.

Amen. It comes down to physics. If some can make "manufacturers can probably make pretty quiet fans with 150+ CFM" I look at the one word "probably". If the OP is a fan engineer and has slaved years to make the 'Harry Potter Wand' fan, then I'll give this post some more attention.

It's like the 150 MPG carburator that the auto companies surpressed. The Uninformed doesn't have a clue that it takes energy, made by gas to provide power. Mass vs energy. You want 150 MPG car, get a moped. Weight and energy, like a fan, noise vs airflow. Easy enuff eh?

You want a 150 CFM quiet fan, wish or get a Phd in airflow and build it. I'll bet you that if it could be built it would be built already and patented.

Looks like the discussion is done. We WANT the fans sooo bad. What does it take for the secret $2, 000,000 profit? If it was out there you could buy it. Might be $3000 a fan, but why not released?

Physics hasn't let it's secrets out. Hopefully we'll see them someday.

I'd be happy with a fuel cell in my back yard costing me $500 a year for electricity. I can live with the fan issue.

wow Conumdrum, you are one rude forumer. you CANNOT stop insulting others, I have observed you in other threads as well, I wonder why you are not banned yet. Looking at your rig, you are not any body special either, I wonder what gives you such a loud mouth. btw, you should upgrade your GPU bro, ancient tech. If you can't keep it civilized and constructive, maybe you can STFU bro.

anyway, I am browsing some materials on fan manufacturers, and apparently the reason for 'not stepping up the research', according to scythe spokeman on another forum:

"The technology is there, it is not an issue of production, rather an issue of why to, needless to say there are other agreements between our competitions on why a very powerful/quiet fan should not be produced at this point of time, many years down the road - who knows."

LOL. if this spokesman speaks any truth, then it is indeed interesting.

anyway, I am browsing some materials on fan manufacturers, and apparently the reason for 'not stepping up the research', according to scythe spokeman on another forum:

"The technology is there, it is not an issue of production, rather an issue of why to, needless to say there are other agreements between our competitions on why a very powerful/quiet fan should not be produced at this point of time, many years down the road - who knows."

LOL. if this spokesman speaks any truth, then it is indeed interesting.

Where's that? I'd like to read the rest of it.

Where's that? I'd like to read the rest of it.

from a PC magazine, on the people's forum.
it was a september issue. I will see can I scan you the page involved.
The article is about Scythe's North America branches, and business involvement, the fan tech topic was just like 2 paragraphs long. But given the status of the spokesman, (some senior business manager) I am giving it very good credit.

Okay, pls post the pages, scanning is really easy these days. From a PC magazine. Must be top secret info then......... September........ Two paragraphs...........

Post the name of the magazine, I'll find it without the scanning issue quick enough.

If the OP is a fan engineer and has slaved years to make the 'Harry Potter Wand' fan, then I'll give this post some more attention.
I thought you said you have no interest to this post. -snicker-
Okay, pls post the pages, scanning is really easy these days. From a PC magazine. Must be top secret info then......... September........ Two paragraphs...........

Post the name of the magazine, I'll find it without the scanning issue quick enough.

don't think you will understand it. english is hard enough for you. It is in Chinese. You go search though, since you feel you know it all. lets see do you know how to use chinese search engines. It is call e-zone magazine, september, GO. dude. I simply don't have time for people with your attitude. For others interested, I will PM you guys with a translation when I get a copy, dont worry.

The technology exists to do a lot of amazing stuff but the truth is nobody is going to manufacturer **** if it's not profitable. Which is what the quote supports.

yeah, you right, I suppose that is the exact bottom line... but maybe in the end, we the enthusiast is too niche of a market for profitable mass productions.

it is almost common sense that given what we observe, fan techs should be no where it should be now, ah well, I suppose we can only live with that fact for now. (til some day someone gets rich enough to do something about it!)

Last edited:
Back