• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fans For Rads

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mtdewcowboy

I am just asking if these would be real good for 60mm to 80mm rads is push/pull?
BitFenix Spectre Pro All Black 140mm PWM Fan
Specs Dimensions (mm): 140x140x25mm
Current (A): 0.40A±10%
Speed (RPM): 500-1800 RPM ±10%
Air Flow (CFM): 122.2 CFM
Air Pressure (mmH2O): 2.8 mmH2O
Noise (dB-A): 29.2 dB(A)

I am just asking if these would be real good for 60mm to 80mm rads is push/pull?
BitFenix Spectre Pro All Black 140mm PWM Fan
Specs Dimensions (mm): 140x140x25mm
Current (A): 0.40A±10%
Speed (RPM): 500-1800 RPM ±10%
Air Flow (CFM): 122.2 CFM
Air Pressure (mmH2O): 2.8 mmH2O
Noise (dB-A): 29.2 dB(A)

Are you stuck on those particular fans for the theme of your build if you will or you're just looking for a good quality rad fan?

Can't comment on those too much. Your best bet is to look up for "radiator fan roundup" keywords used on search engines. Should give you good links to a variety of selective radiator fans. Here are a few examples. Rad Fan Roundup 11 and Rad Fan Roundup 12

Those BitFenix Spectre's appear to have a good static pressure rating, but the level of pressure that you really need is going to be dependent on the radiator. If the radiator is a high fin density then you'll want something with high static pressure ratings, for lower fin densities you can get away with less pressure and still get good performance.

Definitely go and take a look at the Radiator Fan roundups like GTXJackBauer suggested. After reading through some of them you should have a much better idea of what constitutes a good radiator fan. :)

It seems that the GT's are still the top dogs in Rad fans
And it also seems that 120mm fans are better all around than 140mm fans
I guess I will go with a ut60 rad 480mm up top with GT's in push/pull
Wish a Monsta fit up there but I think the ut60 will be plenty for the cpu
Now to find some blocks for the 7770's that will work, and yes I know its not needed but why waste all this rad space in this case

FrozenCPU,
Regretfully, both Nidec and Scythe have decided not to continue their business relationship.

We will not be able to fulfill your Gentle Typhoon order.
We will be promoting the new Grand Flex fans. These are supposedly better than the Gentle Typhoons.
We need to get the message out to the public. I should have some samples by early next month.
By the way, Scythe reserves the right to the name Gentle Typhoon.
That means Nidec can’t sell the product to anybody with our label, our package, our brand and etc. attached to it.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Hank Peng
SCYTHE, Inc.

Source

I am not sure if that will reflect your purchase but it might incase say you replace a fan later that has died on the radiator. Would you mind using a different fan with the rest of the AP's? Thery are the best rad fans out there but there are a few handful that seem do be doing pretty well. It's a tough decision imo.

I know AJ has them and he LOVES them on his 3 360mm rads in push and pull. I am sure he can give a little more insight how quiet and powerful they are.

Also, ask yourself what device will be controlling all these fans so you know if you should get PWN or not and said controller.

I have the Primo case that comes with a fan hub unless I'm wrong?
I know you can run 11 fans on it.
I know I will add some little stuff to the list like maybe a water temp sensor or flow meter, some uv lights??

I have the Primo case that comes with a fan hub unless I'm wrong?
I know you can run 11 fans on it.
I know I will add some little stuff to the list like maybe a water temp sensor or flow meter, some uv lights??

Yeah, some guys are doing builds on that case. I am not sure what's the limit on that hub.

What are you connecting the flow and temp sensors to?

How to use the PWN fan hub?
PWM hub will enable PWM function to 3-pin fans. Fan 1 can only be connected to one fan and cannot be split. Fan 2 - Fan 6 can be split to multiple fans. Total of 11 fans can be connected to the PWM hub. All PWM functions will be controlled by fan 1.

FAQ5-3.png

How to use the PWN fan hub?
PWM hub will enable PWM function to 3-pin fans. Fan 1 can only be connected to one fan and cannot be split. Fan 2 - Fan 6 can be split to multiple fans. Total of 11 fans can be connected to the PWM hub. All PWM functions will be controlled by fan 1.

FAQ5-3.png

Right but what is the limit to it as in amps. I swear I was reading about this the other day on someone's Enthoo build log. He was saying how he needed another PWM source because he didn't want to overload the PWM hub in the case.

It was SIN's build
He wanted to add more than 11 fans
He is trying to get a second hub from case people
Amps should be np cause power to fans is from psu not mb

It was SIN's build

Maybe I am thinking of it as a fan controller. lol And yes you're right it was SiN's build. :thup:

Max AMP depends on the AWG of the hubs molex wires (assuming the board circuits are not hair-thin traces).
IF traces & wires are "solid" enough, then the limit is the max amps/watts you can put on the PSU rail. However, take into account the extra "pull" at power-up... so dont max out to the specs of the hub+wires.

Actually, this would be a lot easier to work out if the manufacturer of this hub would indicate somewhere the max watts or amps.

It was SIN's build

I am running 8 fans of my hub at the moment, having the PWM controlled from my Aquaero 5.

I am running 2 fans per plug, and it has 6 as you can see.

Phanteks even supply fan splitters with the, and i see no reason why 2 per channel giving you 12 fans should be a problem. But I understand the concern.

With my Aquaero 5, i asked AquaComputers how much it could handle. They told me to get a heatsink if i wanted to run 3 fans per channel, and to get waterblock if i wanted to go above 3 fans per channel.

I havnt seen how Win has worked out the max amount, but as i said, im running 8 x GT AP15s off it right now with no issues, and i know people overclock.net in the Primo thread are running more.

It was SIN's build

Power to the fans is not from the PSU by default. Phanteks explicitly says do not use the 4pin molex connector on the fan hub unless your motherboard is having trouble driving the fans.

I have 8 fans on mine right now (2 front 140mm intake, rear 140mm exhaust, 5 120mm rad fans)

It's my understanding that if you use the molex connector, you lose PWM control from the motherboard.

Power to the fans is not from the PSU by default. Phanteks explicitly says do not use the 4pin molex connector on the fan hub unless your motherboard is having trouble driving the fans.

I have 8 fans on mine right now (2 front 140mm intake, rear 140mm exhaust, 5 120mm rad fans)

It's my understanding that if you use the molex connector, you lose PWM control from the motherboard.

Very interesting. I hope we can get a confirmation about this.

Back