• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fantastic Laptop Purchase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
I just bought my stepsone the Acer Nitro 5 laptop for Christmas:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Nitro-i...8&qid=1511892691&sr=1-1&keywords=acer+nitro+5

I actually ordered it on 11/24/2017 and got a great deal at $679.99 (it's now showing as $799.89 on Amazon).

Specs:
- i5-7300HQ (3.5 GHz)
- 8 GB of RAM (a bit on the low side)
- 256 GB SSD
- 1050 Ti with 4 GB of GDDR5 VRAM

This laptop runs the Heaven 4.0 benchmark with an average FPS of 47 at 1920x1080 (ultra quality, tessilation at extreme).

I ran some benchmarks on the SSD...tops out at 1,200 MB/sec for reads and 600 MB/sec for writes...impressive for a "factory installed SSD"

The laptop also has a 2.5" SATA port, so I added in a 2 TB hard drive I had laying around.

The display is not the best, but pretty good (when the screen is full black, there is a small dark grey area in the bottom right corner from the backlight.)

The only downside is the 8 GB of RAM...but with RAM being so expensive now, I'll get him another 8 GB stick for his birthday in April (it comes with 1 8 GB RAM stick installed).

Very impressed with this little guy.

Last edited:
^I like ACer laptops... I bought 5 or 6 the last 4 years, for me, dad and ex GF.

The Acer Swift is pretty damn nice as well!

I wait for the COffee Lake edition to grab one for myself.

The one in sig is very powerful for day to dau work and multi tasking, but too heavy and the batter yjust doesn't last, and well, it is an Asus... Which I despise.

Wow those specs are amazing for the price!
I'm toooo picky on the display though! I'm sure that's where they cheaped out!

Acer has a notoriously poor reliability track record. That said, any company can turn it around. I'm hoping for your sake what I'm posting is old, no longer valid news.

** edit -- Looks like laptop magazine bumped them up the list a bit, they're at #5 among major brands now (up from #8 the year prior): https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/acer-brand-rating

acer.jpg

Based on the read/write, the SSD is probably the M.2 slot style interface, which is the fastest available at the moment. Hence the very good read speeds.

Back