• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Far Cry 4 - computer froze. Only hard reset helps.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sew333

Hello dear forum.
First my pc:
4790 stock
8gb ram
Sabertooth Z79 Mark2
Asus Strix 980 ( Oc factory )
Corsair 750 RM
HDD 500GB SATAIII

So 5 days ago when playing Far Cry 4 my computer suddenly freezes with "BZZZZZ" sound.
( ctrl alt del and so on didn't work I had to pull the power and restart. )
So only hard reset helps.
Question of course . Why i was had one single hard freez 5 days ago?

Also i have done the usual looking for dump / error files but as its a hard lock none are written.
There is no any minidumps file to analyze. Minidump folder is empty.

No minidump file.

Nothing appears in the Event Viewer other than the typical error messages stating that the previous shutdown was unexpected.

On windows event log i have this:
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Event ID: 41
Level: Critical
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

It can be game or something with hardware?

After that i run even Prime95 Blend for 10 hours, without errors.
I test Watchdogs for 2 hours , no crash.
I test Metro Last Light for 2 hours, no crash.
I test Unigine Valley for 1 hour, no crash.
I test 3dmark 11 Extreme loop for 1 hour , no crash.

Also i dont OC my pc, all is stock.
I am using 334.75 WHQL drivers.

What you think that freeze was game\software or hardware related?
Like i say all is fine now, but i am worried about that one single freez ( only hard reset helps ) from 5 days ago.

Thank you for any suggestion.

Should i be worried?

Yes it happens only once, so thats why i create a topic problem. Because i want to know , what caused that one single freez. I never had freez like this even before.
The most strange that my freeze happened once, 5 days ago. I am now 100 hours in game ( Far Cry 4 of course ) and nothing happened again.

It can be software or hardware problem?

Freez was related to software or hardware then ? What you think?

Sounds like it was just a glitch since you have 100+ hours since then.
Quit worrying, the system is fine.

I wrote on google and i did not saw any words mentioning about lock ups,but did see about freezes,but that is just the application freezes,they did not experience PC completely locked up.

Even that my problem can be the software itself that's causing this lock up? Sorry guys for problem but i am really really greatful for help.

I wrote on google and i did not saw any words mentioning about lock ups,but did see about freezes,but that is just the application freezes,they did not experience PC completely locked up.

Even that my problem can be the software itself that's causing this lock up? Sorry guys for problem but i am really really greatful for help.

If it still hasn't locked up again then stop worrying about it.
You only need to worry if there's a recurring issue.

Yes ok , but i only want to know , what was causing that single freeze. Software\drivers or hardware?

There is no any minidumps file to analyze. Minidump folder is empty. Watchdog folder ( TDR driver crash ) empty too without minidump file.

On windows event log i have this:
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

You can't figure out what caused a singular crash unless there's some sort of dump information.

And the kernel power message is from you hard powering off the machine when it froze.

As ATM said, unless you have a log file you won't be able to diagnose it. And as others have said, unless you have a recurring issue I wouldn't worry about it.

And FarCry4 has many issues still. I play it .

Hmm.

Somebody told me that "If software caused a crash, then it appears in the event logs"
But i dont have any messages in event logs.

On windows event log i have this only:
Description:

So it can be something with hardware then? What you think?

Last edited:
Hmm.

Somebody told me that "If software caused a crash, then it appears in the event logs"
But i dont have any messages in event logs.

On windows event log i have this only:
Description:

So it can be something with hardware then? What you think?

I'd put money on it being FC4 that caused the lock up. I've had them too. There won't be anything in the logs since the system froze. The only thing it saw was the power off.

After froze and forcing restart button immidiatelly i just checked all minidumps folder ( even with Watchdog folder ) and all are empty.
And of course i checked event logs. There is nothing about app crash.
I have only this:

Description:

So even that, this is a Far Cry 4 issue not hardware?

There's nothing we can do to tell you what happened.

It's an isolated incident, your computer is PERFECTLY FINE. Move on from it.

Ok guys so issue is on Far Cry 4 then or drivers. Thank you for replies and help. Cheers from Poland:)

Last question. So that hardlock can be caused by game too? Not always by hardware?

Correct, software coding can sometimes cause a hard lock, by overflowing memory etc.

Funny. I had hard lock up last sunday. I had steam downloading couple games and was playing dirt 3 with my friends. I also happened to have Uplay downloading a game at the same time.
I very rarely play ubisoft games because they tend not to work :p Didn't think anything of it when it happened but maybe uplay has something to do with it.
I bought watchdogs last month and that game is constantly crashing too. No problems with any steam games though.

Back