• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fastest AM3 mb challenge.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nope, no misunderstanding. Won't unlock, won't take a high multi. I would hesitate to recommend the 740. Don't get me wrong, it runs great @3800, ok @4000, but fails at =>x20. Only tried in GA 890gpa/gx, not in 890fx. I have made boints with it though.:-/
That's C2 v C3 stepping showing up there - and Chance probably got his fresh out of the factory. The older a CPU line gets the better they OC. ;)

My X2 4600+ won't go past 2.5GHz. My motherboard doesn't even allow me to increase the vcore! Even a BIOS update didn't solve the problem.
If the control circuitry isn't on the board then no BIOS update can help. :-/

Nope, no misunderstanding. Won't unlock, won't take a high multi. I would hesitate to recommend the 740. Don't get me wrong, it runs great @3800, ok @4000, but fails at =>x20. Only tried in GA 890gpa/gx, not in 890fx. I have made boints with it though.:-/

Exactly what QuietIce said. All of the 700 series are C2 chips and thus = bad clockers, relatively speaking. I got mine to 5050 under DIce after two sessions of struggle, so don't be upset that your 740 isn't the best clocker.

Still a work in progress ...... wehn I get some time.

CPU Arch : 1 CPU - 6 Cores - 6 Threads
CPU PSN : AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor
CPU EXT : MMX(+), 3DNow!(+), SSE (1, 2, 3, 4A), x86-64, AMD-V
CPUID : F.A.0 / Extended : 10.A
CPU Cache : L1 : 6 x 64 / 6 x 64 KB - L2 : 6 x 512 KB
CPU Cache : L3 : 6144 KB
Core : Thuban (45 nm) / Stepping : PH-E0

Freq : 4176.32 MHz (225.75 * 18.5)
MB Brand : Asus
MB Model : Crosshair IV Extreme
NB : AMD 890FX rev 02
SB : AMD SB850 rev 40

GPU Type : Radeon HD 6870
DirectX Version : 11.0

RAM : 4096 MB DDR3 Dual Channel
RAM Speed : 903 MHz (1:4) @ 7-9-7-28
Slot 1 : 2048MB (10700)
Slot 1 Manufacturer : G.Skill
Slot 2 : 2048MB (10700)
Slot 2 Manufacturer : G.Skill

Last edited:
Man that is one to look for. You know what, 5 might be doable on air, hmmm. I might hit that if my fingers dance really well, and bits fly in a straight line. Where's the validation or something I can see your settings?;)

Someone on the bot got a video of them sitting on the desktop and validating with 5GHz on air with a 955

See, you guys. Good stuff. Moar volts, more hurts. Let's see more!!!:clap: 5 gigahurtz on air, right around the corner.

Yeah, that submission was for the "Flank'sContest" which was the first to hit 5ghz air on a Deneb. Great chip, I reckon.

Seems pretty incredible, but really makes me envy Intel for their OC's with Sandy Bridge on air. Hopefully Bulldozer blows 'em outta the water.

Are we talking max that one can get a screenshot/wprime run or max stable... huge difference there...

Here's my max 100% stable right now. Specs in the sig...

OC.jpg

Well I posted my max non-stable (aka max cpuz). As far as max 100% stable I can do 4.2GHz @ 1.53v, but I have been having IMC issues lately so I am running stock.

Mine were all max stable. By the way, stock clocks FTW!

Yep... for now that is! I hope I can get 4.8 or better (the chip can do it) with a better board. My ASUS can't provide enough power with only a P4 connector. I am looking at some better boards with EPS-12v's and 800 series chipsets.

Back