• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fastest boot or most stripped down distro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
One warning on Arch is that it is only i686+ (Pentium Pro, Pentium 2, or Athlon works, or higher, but not lower... i.e. not P1 MMX or K62/3). Less and less of a problem as time goes on. I'm assuming there is a 64 bit build out but I don't know. Maybe it's still all 32 bit i686.

They offer i686 and x86_64.

Arch's install is fine, the "beginners guide" is very simple. Arch is very quick, but the best thing IMO about Arch is how its bleeding edge yet as stable as most distros out there. Rolling release, no 800mb upgrades every 6 months. Latest linux kernel within a couple of weeks.

If your a KDE fan, theres kdemod for Arch, this is a tweaked/faster kde fully rebuilt as far as im aware. Comes with a half decent theme, and "Tango icons" looks a lot better than default KDE. I ran this for around 9 months and never put a foot wrong.

Ubuntu users who want a change, often move to Arch, the Arch forums are decent, and the wiki has some really useful guides.

arch-kdemod.jpg

arch kdemod (icons are default)

http://kdemod.ath.cx/index.html

i might give arch a shot on my laptop in the new year, now I am intrigued.
Once I get some time i'll probably start messing around with it.
I like your background btw

Arch's install is fine, the "beginners guide" is very simple. Arch is very quick, but the best thing IMO about Arch is how its bleeding edge yet as stable as most distros out there. Rolling release, no 800mb upgrades every 6 months. Latest linux kernel within a couple of weeks.

If your a KDE fan, theres kdemod for Arch, this is a tweaked/faster kde fully rebuilt as far as im aware. Comes with a half decent theme, and "Tango icons" looks a lot better than default KDE. I ran this for around 9 months and never put a foot wrong.

Ubuntu users who want a change, often move to Arch, the Arch forums are decent, and the wiki has some really useful guides.

arch kdemod (icons are default)

http://kdemod.ath.cx/index.html

I think I am convinced.....I am going to try ARCH Linux :bday:

Few questions....How do these updates work, do they need to make a new official release every 6 months like Ubuntu, or do we just update the kernel? Yea newbie questions i know..:rolleyes:

I haven't used arch but it sounds like Gentoo. They do rolling releases. Basically you are expected to update your system every single day or every few days. That way you have the latest version. They don't do it like Ubuntu where it's a major revision every 6 months.

So basically instead of one massive update every 6 months you get little tiny updates every single day. Although w/ gentoo you don't want to go too long w/out updating because since you compile everything from source if you go a while without updating you can expect to be compiling for quite a while.

Also, if you go a long time in Gentoo w/o upgrading, the updates will not compile anymore. Newer updates are made to compile on updated machines, not machines that are years out of date. (This doesn't mean that if you are going on vacation for a week that you need to pay your neighbor to come over daily to feed the dog and update the Gentoo system, but if you let it go 6 months w/o an update it will be a pain to get working, and if you go 2 years, you'll likely have to reinstall.)

vtec96, they release a iso install every so often so once you get arch base installed theres not a massive upgrade. However once installed, you simply update as often as you can, once a day is decent.

If your farmiular with ubuntu, you have apt-get update, apt-get upgrade. arch has pacman, pacman is very quick and is simply to use. Pacman -S firefox will install firefox, pacman -R will remove firefox. pacman -Sy will "update" and pacman -Syu with "update and upgrade". Pacman has no gui by default but there are some that people have made if you want it.

As for updates, like ubuntu (i'm aways comparing to ubuntu because im assuming you have used it) you will get general updates to programs, security fixes, but this happens all the time, as i said, you will never have a huge 800mb download to upgrade to the latest version, unless you dont update for a while, which a bit like gentoo above isnt advised.

The install isn't as hard as the wiki makes out, partly because the install has been updated a lot, and theres no cmd line as such, you just need to edit a couple of files with nano. Once you have the base installed, the wiki will tell you how to get sound etc working and give you a big choice of GUIs to install and how to install them, kdemod is only sligtly different in the fact that you need to add it to /etc/pacman.conf (i think thats it). I'm pretty sure it tells you in the wiki. You will want to use the beginners guide as it will get you installed and still tell you enough of what you should know about arch.

vtec96, they release a iso install every so often so once you get arch base installed theres not a massive upgrade. However once installed, you simply update as often as you can, once a day is decent.

If your farmiular with ubuntu, you have apt-get update, apt-get upgrade. arch has pacman, pacman is very quick and is simply to use. Pacman -S firefox will install firefox, pacman -R will remove firefox. pacman -Sy will "update" and pacman -Syu with "update and upgrade". Pacman has no gui by default but there are some that people have made if you want it.

As for updates, like ubuntu (i'm aways comparing to ubuntu because im assuming you have used it) you will get general updates to programs, security fixes, but this happens all the time, as i said, you will never have a huge 800mb download to upgrade to the latest version, unless you dont update for a while, which a bit like gentoo above isnt advised.

The install isn't as hard as the wiki makes out, partly because the install has been updated a lot, and theres no cmd line as such, you just need to edit a couple of files with nano. Once you have the base installed, the wiki will tell you how to get sound etc working and give you a big choice of GUIs to install and how to install them, kdemod is only sligtly different in the fact that you need to add it to /etc/pacman.conf (i think thats it). I'm pretty sure it tells you in the wiki. You will want to use the beginners guide as it will get you installed and still tell you enough of what you should know about arch.

Thanks for the replys...Not to hijack the OP's thread, but i think this is good info for anyone looking to run these distro's.

Jimbob, this really helps explain things better! Actually i am pretty comfortable with the cli and that should not be a problem. I actually like the sound of these rolling updates vs a major update every 6 months or so. Almost like windows updates every so often. Also since I am about ready to try Arch now, i dont have to wait for the next relase such as the new ubuntu comming out in a few weeks. kdemod sounds exactly like what I am going to install for the gui, seen some nice clips of this around the net yesetrday! Kde with mods makes aero look crappy.... :beer:

I really like Arch and think everyone should give it a try. The only reason I prefer Debian over Arch is the vastness of the packages available in Debian over Arch.

vtec96, i don't know about kdemod and version 4.1 mainly because it wasnt out when i ran it. I'm sure its stable and works fine, but you might want to check before you install it.

Also on the install of archlinux when you get to editing /etc/rc.conf for your network settings remember to remove the ! from infront of gateway. (!gateway to gateway) May sound silly but when i first installed arch there was no mention of this, and after a couple of reboots I noticed it lol.

vtec96, i don't know about kdemod and version 4.1 mainly because it wasnt out when i ran it. I'm sure its stable and works fine, but you might want to check before you install it.

Also on the install of archlinux when you get to editing /etc/rc.conf for your network settings remember to remove the ! from infront of gateway. (!gateway to gateway) May sound silly but when i first installed arch there was no mention of this, and after a couple of reboots I noticed it lol.

Ok, thanks for the tips :beer:

Back