• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FASTEST RAM IN MSI 890GXM-65??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magnus28

Registered
hello, first time poster.

I'm buying the MSI 890GXM-G65 motherboard next week, and i'm looking for the fastest ram I can put in it. according to the specs on the board the memory supported is:

800MHz DDR3
1066MHz DDR3
1333MHz DDR3
1600MHz DDR3 (OverClocking)
1800MHz DDR3 (OverClocking)
2133MHz DDR3 (OverClocking)

Does this mean that the fastest stock memory I can put in this board is 1333? and I can theoretically overclock to 2133?

The ram I was going to buy for it was G.Skill PI+turbulence 2133MHz 4GB

but can the board handle stock 2133??

thx.

I'm thinking that the 1600 or 1800 ram should be sufficient. You may not get it to run at 1800 speed but at least you should have some good headroom and you never know anyway.

I'm not sure if the 890GX boards will have the same support or problem as the 790GX/FX ones did. They all officially support 1333 and 1600Mhz speeds but, these boards seem to have a difficult time running RAM too much past 1600Mhz, some won't even run 1600Mhz RAM at it's rated speed, and others might get up to 1800Mhz but I have never seen one of these boards go further than 1800Mhz. You can make the purchase for the high speed stuff, but don't be surprised if it doesn't quite reach the advertised speed. If you have no problems getting it that fast, then they did a great job with the 800 series boards and chipset, and I'll be jealous lol. :p

I just want to know If I put 2133 ram in that board will it work? Even if it down clocks it to 1300 MHz, I can still overclock it to whatever the board can handle. I just don't want to buy the ram and find out the OS won't post.

On another note, are AMD based boards that far behind Intel, in which Intel has Tri-channel ram out with speeds up to 2400MHz and Amd boards have trouble making it past 1800MHz?

If the manuerfacturer claims on the specs that the board can support 2133MHz (Overclocking) then there has to be a way in order to reach that speed. So can someone please help me understand do I have to buy 1600 or 1800 ram and overclock it? Or is the board gonna post with 2133 and then downclock it??

When looking at RAM specs do not pay any attention to "XMP" rated speeds/timings. Because of Intel's huge market share many RAM companies have XMP rated RAM, which is pretty much Intel only. Don't expect an AMD system to run those timings/speed because most won't.

And, yes, the XMP RAM will run in AMD systems but some G.Skills have been problematic at best. Be sure to check the motherboard manufacturers on-line QVL (Qualifies Vendor's List) for the board and RAM you want to get ...

You're not sticking a Thuban in there are ya? Memory in my sig runs fine (8 gigs) despite Newegg's reviews. It should downclock fine.

I can run mine at 1800 pretty easily. In fact they are prime stable.

I've heard that the 890GX boards are a bit week with memory, but so far they are doing great.

Personally the best choice for RAM for an AMD Thuban system is the G.Skill ECO sticks. They run fast, with low timings.

Back