• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FCPGA-Multiplier unlocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm way too skeptical to risk my spare P3 500E. But if anyone decides not to puss out let me know how it goes.

I find this very very very unlikely, I was told the locking was done inside the chip itself during manufactureing, I doubt any visiual observation between a unlocked and locked chip would reveal anything.

However I hope I am wrong, I have a p3700 chip, brand new sitting here.. would love to see how it could handle 7.5x140..

I also read that the chips where programed with 12volt current???

Not sure what that means exactly, perhaps someone could set some light on this..

Good luck all.

-Trek

I'm goin' for a try today at my company.

If it works ---> First personally unlocked CPU *g*
if not ----> One dead CPU, but fortunately not mine *evilgrin*

Someone will be risking a lot to do exploratory surgery" on their chip. Maybe a little incentive would entice would be chip surgeons to do the required operations. Maybe a web site where people could sign a pledge to mail a $5 check to reward the person who either figures out and demonstrates how to unlock the FCPGA or jumps ship from INTEL and reveals the secret. Some Intel guy who retired could partner with a second person (to protect his pension) who would share the money for being the front man.

dammed ;)

those SMD's are tough. Unfortunately I slipped why trying some heavy screwdriver action and ripped some pins off.
so much for that one ... rest in pieces *g*

Redphex (Apr 22, 2001 09:09 a.m.):
dammed ;)

those SMD's are tough. Unfortunately I slipped why trying some heavy screwdriver action and ripped some pins off.
so much for that one ... rest in pieces *g*

Hmmm, got some photos, so the rest of us can see what your dead cpu looks like?

I trust you going to try again? :)
more carefull this time?

-Trek

This would be such a huge thing..... I mean, look at the number of posts in the "AMD CPU" section. You know why that is? Duron's and TBirds are super easy to unlock and overclock. I can't believe someone isn't willing to step up and take the plunge for the good of the group... If I had an Intel system, I'd do it in 2 seconds. This would be the biggest boon ever for P3 overclocking.

SickBoy

let me get this straight. the resistors in red need to be removed?
Or is there something else to it?
I really tried to read the translated post but I did not get it.

Can you unsolder the resistors?

according to the eXodus guy who came up with this resistor-thing, the resistors marked red that have to be removed in order to remove the lock.

If the red marked SMDs inthis Picture are removed, the Multiplier supposedly is unlocked for x3-x6.5 - These were missing on his CPU due the damage during shipping.

Then he removed two other SMDs - pic - unlocking every Multiplier-setting.

Again for everyone who's brave enought to try it - be warned, those SMDs are tough to get rid of ;-]

By now - even if it did really work - I wouldn't go for the mod for the sake of my CPUs ...

but not every cpu has the same resister setup, and I think that if it were that simple some body else would have come up with it after all this time, I would guess that there is an programmable id chip on the core that is programmed with the chip type (celeron/p3) voltage and mulitplyer rather than something in hardware as it is easier for intel to change chips due to supply and demand

you guys will do on-die CPU cooling, but not try this?
geez, you intel guys arent as ballsy as i thought......

i'd like to see if this is true, but no-one seems to want to try.

Come on, someone give this a SHOT!!!
if you're wrong, you'll be honored!
if you're right......
you'll make history

I also heard you could clear the multiplyer circitry by Over Voltaging the pins that directly control it, that are connected to those resistors..... If it pops the resistors due to the Overvoltaging, then this is it!!

someone TRY!!!!!think of all the Tbirds and Durons that die from cracked cores.
I hate to tell u, but cracking a 1.33g Tbird, or burning it costs more then a P3 700..... or a 500..... or ANYTHING

come on guys dont give up! did George Washington give up when he crossed the Mississippi did Orville and Wilbur Write give up when there bike fell over did Lincoln give up when he invented the light bulb? We Americans were born with creativity running through are viens it may be a long shot but allot of great things are not easy. I guess i'm just a little greedy for more power :) but come on fight fight fight!

YEAH!!! go for it!! try, try, try!!! i dream that for long time and now hope my dream will come true!! :)

I'm still very skeptical. I think someone would have done this 6 months ago if it were possible.

I firmly believe that the multiplier is programmed on to on-die PROM (programmable read only memory, it can only be programmed once within the factory, never erased, never reprogrammed).

If everybody sent Daniel a single dollar via paypal, he would have enough cash to buy a few and try the trick, and it would only cost us a dollar...

I would pay a dollar for that!!

Come on! Someone gotta have a spare PIII somewere! I would use my C700 but its a Celeron and I cant afford a replacemnet for it. =(

okay, about the PROM, different parts can be change due to an overvoltage....
thats y some german guy actully could change his CPU, he fried those resistors (i heard this somewhere, but it wsa ofically "snuffed out", but it was TRUE!)

if you send too much voltage thru the PROM, it'll change the data bits inside... if those resistors control internal clock multiplyer PROM, it can modify due to the marvels of Electrons and physics. I cna look into it some more, but i'm not a pentium guy. Listen, alot of us AMD guys have cracked out BRAND NEW 1.2 266FSB Tbird right outta the box, and that's the cost of a replacemnt P3 right therer, easy......

i'd do it, but that's just 'cause i'm a ballsy guy....

come ON, you guys solder wires onto your CPUs to make the voltage cahnge, y not remove resistors??

Mr B (Apr 21, 2001 10:42 p.m.):
If one had access to a pair of chips, an intel "Confidential", and a regular retail/OEM model, wouldn't it be possible to analyze the two, side by side, to try to determine the differences between the two? Seems to me this would be the place to start from, provided, of course, one had access to a pair of similar chips.

Maybe??

Mr B

*BTW...I don't have a "Confidential" chip, but if someone has one they'd like me to "look at" (hehe).........oh, nevermind....*

A while ago there was a post in here where someone recieved a unlocked 700E from Intel, the trade off was that they couldn't sell it and it was considered to be just a loaner. I'll try and hunt down that post as that member maybe able to shed some light on this subject if there are any phisical differences in the chip (I'm guessing there is not).

I guess it's my turn...

I'd be curious, but it wouldn't make my day. I don't solder (it requires practice and I hate practice, I'm even less of a fan of patience), and don't even like to crack open my machine unless I got a new component to add... anyway, I'm not some lame-o -- but I'm not delusional to the point of blind-obsession either. I can recognize a gimmick from 3 counties away. This has farce written over, through it, behind, and beneath it.

This makes for a great story, Iike The Bible, but the story in no way validates itself. We will need more evidence before making a giant leap of faith into throwing working components away for sake of hackneyed scientific methodology.

I do have to say that many of the greatest discoveries were made by accident... if this is one of those instances, only time will tell (and someone else's technology in the trash can -- it won't be mine!!).

Back