• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Feedback my on ~$1600 build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trapsin

I'm building it for gaming, general purpose, streaming, and programming. I put this together last night and this morning and was wondering how it looks?

I've got the OS and Monitor plus extra SATA 3.0 HDDs.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.98 @ Outlet PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($136.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($136.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($332.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card ($449.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Antec Nine Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1611.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-26 19:34 EDT-0400)

Why the 3570 and not the 4670? Also, you have your ram listed twice.

Other than that, though, looks like a solid build!

Go 4670K.
You don't need 4x8GB RAM, get 2x8GB at the most.

Like above, past that looks good.

Looks great to me as well. Is there any particular reason you need 32 GB RAM? Perhaps a year ago (december 2012 when I built my sig build) RAM was very cheap ($50 per 12GB for me) where it was generally alright to go overpowered on it even if you didnt need it because it cost peanuts and who doesn't like more RAM?

But now RAM is much more expensive due to production lines shifting to smartphone memory production (more like $100 per 12GB)

You could invest that extra $137 into something else (like a Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler... or a better/bigger SSD... etc)

No, my budget was ~$1600 and so I threw in the extra RAM because I was sitting around $1400. I agree, RAM prices seem too high. If I drop one of the sets where would I be best adding in the money?

You guys seem to suggest the 4670k over 3570k, in my research I was seeing that the performance differences are negligible, that they are the same CPU just the 4670k uses higher watts so it runs hotter. I'm not expert, and I've spent many, many hours researching components since yesterday, and CPU was the first one I did so I could definitely be mixed up.

If I switch out the CPU then I need a new mobo? 1150 vs 1155 sockets?

The 4670k will be lower power if you disable the integrated GPU.
Yes, you need an 1150 motherboard.

Extra money could go toward some better fans for your case to keep thee computer cool and quiet :thup:

The 4670k will be lower power if you disable the integrated GPU.
Yes, you need an 1150 motherboard.

Extra money could go toward some better fans for your case to keep thee computer cool and quiet :thup:

Ya some more fans I've been pondering. I want to OC slightly, it will be my first time, would a better cooler be better than additional case fans?

What kind of benefits will I see with upgrading the processor, I'm concerned that the gains wouldn't be substantial enough to warrant grabbing it. Any benefits from the new socket monos? I don't know if Mobos with different sockets can use the same chipsets.

I didn't know you could disable the onboard graphics, thanks for the info. Though I would assume you could also disable the one I chose and get lower power consumption than the next one, though I'm not terribly concerned about the matter.

Ok, here's my final draft before ordering tomorrow:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($332.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Nine Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1456.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-27 05:00 EDT-0400)

I will likely grab some more fans for the case too before ordering, but as far as the guts go, this is it, any concerns or comments before I take the plunge?

Any specific reason you're going for the 770 2GB (applications making good use of Cuda ...)?
As you are still below budget, I'd grab a r9 290x if you don't specially need a nVidia GPU.

It kills the 770 and has twice the vRam for $150 extra.

And AMD cards will make good use of Mantle in the near future (as soon as next gen consoles are out).

I'd buy a different CPU cooler in case you want to OC it...go with Noctua NH-D14, it will cost you $40 more?

Also, grab a better video card, by that, I mean cheaper with 3gb memory...maybe the r9 280x, or even an older 7970, oc it a bit and you're almost at par with a 770 and it's a lot cheaper.

If you're worried about driver issues with AMD gpu's, fear not, I just went through it myself and once you follow this (http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18431335) all will be fine. I got my 7950 for $150 and I got an easy 1150/1700 from it without giving it a sweat. I could flash to a non boost bios and get even better results but I don't really care.

Here's the guide you want to use for AMD gpu's if you decide that route...but I'd for sure save the money and spend it on something else...maybe a nice screen? mouse/keyboard? headphones? speakers?

Great choice on the motherboard, solid, oc's well and cheap...just gives you what you need.

I'd consider a better PSU, just in case you get the idea of tossing a 2nd gpu in...but more headroom is always better...grab a 750W

Good call on sticking with 1.5v modules for memory...the board likes that best.

Last edited:
Any specific reason you're going for the 770 2GB (applications making good use of Cuda ...)?
As you are still below budget, I'd grab a r9 290x if you don't specially need a nVidia GPU.

It kills the 770 and has twice the vRam for $150 extra.

And AMD cards will make good use of Mantle in the near future (as soon as next gen consoles are out).

Even the 280X beats the 770 for about 50 bucks less.

I'd drop the extra ram, go 280x. I'd also get a haswell cpu, 1155 is a dead end. Cable management in that antec case, will be a pita. Get the noctua cpu cooler. You can put the extra money saved from the ram into a better case.

I'm going to switch to an r9. Probably 280x, save a few bucks and put it into a better CPU cooler. I might consider 290x but I can't find them anywhere.

Any suggestions on a case? I don't know much about the tier hierarchy of them, I'll start looking, though. I think I may order everything and wait for a Sapphire 280x toxic to get back in stock or potentially even a 290x, also out of stock.

Any suggestions on a case? I don't know much about the tier hierarchy of them, I'll start looking, though. I think I may order everything and wait for a Sapphire 280x toxic to get back in stock or potentially even a 290x, also out of stock.

If you want a case that you can use over and over again, I'd go Lian Li, top quality. They are not as expensive as Case Labs, or you can go for a Corsair case.

Ive had a few cases and my favorite so far has been the CoolerMaster HAF932. Very good cooling and plenty of room. Great case IMO and will go onsale at times for a pretty good price.

If you dont want to spend that much, Id look into something like an Antec300 or HAF912.

if you don't need a lot of expansion slots and hard drive bays, my case is awesome...and looks even better in real life...you just can't match the craftsmanship of Lian Li.

Back