• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Feedback on first PC Build Specs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jyoung2

Hey everyone,

I'm going to be building my first PC. I've been trying to do research on my own, and I think i'm going to be ordering the parts within the next couple of days if the feedback is positive.

I will be doing a lot of gaming on this PC and a lot of media streaming.

My total budget is around $2000. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3RZkP

Thanks in advance.

Welcome!

Looks solid! A couple of things I would change...

1. Go Z97 based board, that way, in 2015, you can drop in Broadwell (new Intel CPU).
2. Sabertooth. I am not a huge fan of that that board. Its fine. Quality is there, features are there, but...its overpriced for what it is. Unless you need that 5 year warranty it offers, I would get something like.......ASUS Z97-C and save $100...or this from MSI.
3. What res are you gaming at in the first place? Have plans for two cards in the future?

Thanks for the feedback.

Is there a reason I should be running Windows 8? I've tried using windows 8 before and I absolutely hated it.

Would it be worth it to spend some extra money on 16 gbs of memory, or is the performance difference negligible?

The only reason I picked the sabertooth, because I had read that it had really good reliability, and I'm not one to upgrade my PC every year.

Thanks for the feedback.

Is there a reason I should be running Windows 8? I've tried using windows 8 before and I absolutely hated it.

Would it be worth it to spend some extra money on 16 gbs of memory, or is the performance difference negligible?

The only reason I picked the sabertooth, because I had read that it had really good reliability, and I'm not one to upgrade my PC every year.

Use Classic Shell if all you hate is the UI.
DX12 will only be for Windows 8/8.1

Negligible unless you're doing memory intensive tasks (which you didn't list any)

Marketing hype, every bit of it.

Again though, what resolution?

W8 is up to you. If it is the look, that can be changed in less than 5 minutes...(Classic Shell).

If you are not close to using 8GB, than more capacity will not speed anything up.

It has a 5 year warranty, sure. But its based off of gimmicks really. You want military class components, that MSI I linked has the same thing and cheaper. It is of course, up to you though.

1920x1080

So I can run windows 8 and have it look like 7? without that stupid metro app screen?

1920x1080

So I can run windows 8 and have it look like 7? without that stupid metro app screen?

Yes, with Classic Shell.

The 780Ti will be overkill for 1080p, but with your budget its the best option in my opinion.

since the ti is overkill, would it be better to just get the 780 video card, and more memory?

or I should still get the ti in case I get a gigantic tv monitor one day? haha

Size isn't what matters...it's the resolution of whatever you buy.. An 80" 1080p has the same amount of pixels as a 32" 1080p monitor.

Now, if you are going 4K... that is another story. ;)

Thank you guys for all your help, I'm sure i'll be back with more questions once all my parts get in.

I would go for the GTX 780 ti for next 3 years games.

Given that there will be a sharp increase in the demands put on systems with upcoming next gen console ports, a super high end GPU may not be a bad idea. Today though, at your resolution, it is a waste. It's almost smarter to spend $400 on a new GPU today and replace it with a $400 GPU in 2 to 3 years than it is to buy the $800 GPU right now. That's just my opinion though.

Back