• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Few Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DUREX

Disabled
hey guys whats a good fan for cooling my alpha pal8045... and what are some good case fans that are not noisy but move alot of air the ones i got are junk and i was wondering do they make a rheostat that can fit in my extra floppy slot????

you can buy a rheostat and mount it in your floppy slot if you want to. i've actually seen a rheobus that was made for a floppy slot before, but i don't remember where that was.

i might have the link in my favorites list on my computer at home. i'll check it out tonight. i don't remember if i found that before or after i formatted.

How much work and money are you willing to put in to this?

Originally, I ran a Tornado on my PAL 8045, but it was rather LOUD!!!!

Currently, I have a 120mm Sunon shown here:
http://www.crazypc.com/products/fans/fans.htm

I have attached this fan to the heatsink with a 120-80mm adapter. This fan is ducted to the outised--I cut a whole in my case with a dremel and did the whole bit.

To make a long story short, my setup rusn at the same temps as it did my Tornado. And the whole thing runs at ~37 db. It is very quiet. (I also have 4 case fans.)

The fan and adapter unit is so large that it blocks almost all air flow inside of the case. Temperatures dropped about 5 C with the side panel off.

So, I decided to duct the fan so it could suck cool air directly from the outside.

Having the fan sucking cool air from the outside seems to counteract the negative effects of static pressure caused by the adapter.

The duct I got was from www.plycon.com It is slightly too small in diamter, so you could probably get some pvc piping or dryer duct if you wanted to. The advantage of the duct I got was that it had a flange on it, so the outside looks very nice.

If you have a dremel, it is a bit of work to cut the hole, but the results are significant. Also, make sure to get a fan grill and screw it on the case so nothing falls in the duct.

Also, if you are going to be taking your HS off and on a lot, cut a square hole in the motherboard support plate in your case so you can get at the screws on the underside without taking out your board. After you take off your HS about 5 times, you'll realize how helpful it is.

Right now, my idle temps are around 38-42. Certainly not the greatest, but very nice for quiet enough to sleep by!

Back