• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Final Pricing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Poly15..... You don't seem very qualified on this topic... A 6600gt is fine for a lot of people and it is a very good card. I personally have OCZ Platinum Revision 2 and its still running 2-2-2-5 even after overclocking from 2.8ghz to 3.8ghz on a P4.

-1cem4n

Ice I dont know what you are talking about. X800 is a higher performing card no matter how you look at it. Yes 600gt is a good card but X800 is better and as you can see from my rig I use plat rev.2 also I was just saying if he wanted to save some money go with the cheaper memory for now.

Well, there are several things to consider. Are you looking to majorly overclock?

If not, then why bother with the DFI lanparty board? For standard speeds you can get away with a cheaper board and higher default performance. the DFI board is built for overclocking like a mofo.

If you ARE overclocking then why spend more moola on the CPU? Get something cheaper and overclock the crap out of it.

If you are looking for a good case for cheap, get that SilverHawk case that is a Lan-Li clone (okay so not exact but dam good quality still) for about $30 shipped.

Grab a cheaper CD/DVD burner then that. Dual Layer DVD burners can be hand for sub $50. Like the NEC 3520a at newegg for $46.

Are you going for gaming or something else with your system? If gaming, why only a 6600GT? I'm not a big fan of the "mid range" cards for gfx. It's either a gaming box or it isn't. If it's something you want to upgrade into a gaming box then that's fine. Grab a low end and CHEAP card for now. Heck, even a GF4 ti4200 can still play most games just fine without all the eye candy like AA turned on. It is still a good "get by" card for under $40. If you want this to be a gaming system along with anything else you want to do, then be prepared to get either a 6800 series card or x800+ card. That's my view on the subject. I got an x800 pro I modded to a x800 XT PE and love it.

As for the PSU, again it comes down to the questions of overclocking and gaming. If you don't plan on overclocking or gaming, you don't need that much wattage. Get a Fortron 350 for sub $30 be happy. If it IS for overclocking and gaming well then your choice isn't bad but I might get an OCZ power stream or fortron blue storm.

Better Memory will last quite a bit longer and you will appreciate the performance better ram gives. I think a 6600gt(if overclocked) can beat an x800 easily.

-1cem4n

And my 6800gt pretty much owns my other x800pro even with the x800 overclocked and the 6800gt isn't.

-1cem4n

Sorry for no replies, i've been really busy the last two days and have had no time to check here. Anyways, I think i've got some good ideas and i'll be all set to go to decide if i'm building this, and work out the last few final details. Thanks a bunch for the help, everyone.

Back