• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally caved....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamesbritt268

I finally left the amd ship. I really didn't want to join the evil empire. But the good ol 1090t didn't leave me much room for gaming anymore. It was overclocked to 4.1ghz and was still bottle necking my 6970. Sure games like bf3 played great.

But the less optimized games that used 1-4 threads just caused massive inconsistencies in gaming and max gpu usage only ever went to 70 percent.

Im selling the 1090t and 990fxa ud3 on ebay now.Almost hurts. You think 200 is too much to ask for the combo?

I now unfortunately have to recoup the money i spent on the 3570k and p8z77 pro. Dammed evil empire and mobo prices.

Heres to hoping piledriver release puts amd back on track. I toyed with getting a bulldozer and clocking the snot out of it. But just felt i wouldnt be improving anything.

Sorry for the blog!

/consoles his amd products....

Sorry to see you were temped by the cookies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mwuahhahhahah. Welcome to the evil vampire. Its actually quite nice here, BF3 doesn't get bottlenecked here :)

^^this **just kidding**

I <3 my 1090T sold both my Sandy bridge chips and kept my 1090T. Fine for gaming with up to my 6870 at stock CPU. (well 1866 mem and 2700cpunb via bus clock so small OC forget what that makes CPU well under 4GHz though runs at 1060 MHz 98% of the time anyway)

currently rocking a passive 6770 and onboard 4290 for second mon action ;) Yeah I am that cool....
I wont spend tons of dough on a GPU since I dont game 24/7....I play games like Dragon Age call of duty and the old Kotor series. Still have not moved to the new star wars game, maybe when I finished replaying Dragon age with all DLCs for the 4th time to see every intro and extro.. and then redo DAII (and buy the DLCs ) then maybe one more run through te SW:kotor games with all the new unlocks and mods... then I will go Old republic and skyrim and might need to update card. 2013?

Anywho, rather than get a new CPU/mobo, I would just have bought a better monitor :) 1920x1080/ 1920x1200 run you about a $100 on the low used end. $150 on the low end for 1080P $200 for 1920x1200.

Hell go really nice res for under $400... 2096x1800 something? Totally remove CPU bottleneck :)

Last edited by a moderator:
minimum is the most important measurement. But I doubt SB will improve that unless you are lower than 1680x1050 res...

It also depends the games you play too. High physics games might have more CPU impact..I am not into stacking barrels and blowing them up in Crysis though so can't tell you.

**also humour**

(humour tags are for my benefit and yours... dont want to offend people when I am being snarky)

In truth, there is nothing wrong with going SB/IB whatever. I like AMD enough to have gotten rid of my Intel setups not forever just for now. I have a bulldozer setup in the garage for benching on, cant say it will make my daily driver yet.. I am quite happy with the thuban even with a laptop 7200RPM drive. (in fact the 2.5" 7200RPM feels like H67 on a raptor heh heh AMD on the raptor feels like H67 on 2 sata2 SSDs in raid0.) Im running cheap ram, crappy HDD and lowpowered GPU, and TBH am quite happy with my daily driver/gamer.

Building up another X79 system right now (just need the mobo and watercooling) for benching and gaming fun. Moved the 1920x1200 monitor into the garage and have the Bulldozer hooked up to my stereo with polk monitor 40s for L/R channel. 580GTX SC for vid card. Rather it be a AMD card but.. 580 was cheaper. I'm not brand specific. I run what I run, I just prefer AMD.

Last edited:
Ya im not sure it will make any improvement but i had the itch and want to see if all the evil empire fanboys are right about the cpus lol. Amd bulldozer was only a side grade for me :/

If your main game runs better on Intel CPus. Then you gotta do what you gotta do ;)

**humour portion follows**

I would give up the game before switching CPUs though you traitor!!!!

I have just removed or edited a ridiculous number of posts pertaining to trading hardware outside the classifieds. Per our rules, that is not allowed.

3. No soliciting or offers to sell outside of the Classifieds.

If you have something to sell, sell it in the classifieds. If you want to buy something, put a want ad in the classifieds. If you do not have access to the classifieds, see the link above to the rules for how you can gain it.

Do not let me catch anyone else trying to buy or sell items in this thread. Those of you with classifieds access could lose it and those of you without it could make it even longer before you get it.

Well i have to admit now that i have the 3570k up and running all the people saying amd feels "snappier" in the reg os enviroment were right. At stock setting when its downclocking constantly the 3570k was as responsive as my 1090t. I almost threw it back in! but i got a easy 4.8 oc out of it so far and havent pushed it higher yet. And man it does improve a lot more.

Still not sure if it will ever have the grunt my 1090t did with multiple apss and windows open.

Back