• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally Gigabyte has admitted the noise issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So what happens to those of us with the older board that does squeal? Have Gigabyte released a bios yet that limits the lower voltage for the CPU?

it seems as if the engineers are working to fix a hardware defect with a software patch. i dont think it will work. they have refused to admit that there is even a problem with these boards up until this point. lets just hope they bite the bullet and honor the warranty instead of blaming incompatibilities. if they do choose to honor the warranty they will most likely lose millions.

i am genuinely offended by the behavior of gigabyte customer support. they either will tell you there is nothing wrong with your motherboard or will say that any other hardware you have is incompatible. if they dont admit there is something wrong with their x58 mobo design in the next couple of months we should organize a class action against gigabyte.

Does anyone know if this is limited to just the x58 boards?

I have a P55A-UD3, and I have the loud noise at load as well. I've seen others with the same noise on this board also. And, there is a new revision of this board out.

I hope there is a fix, the more voltage I put on my core the louder the squeal is at load!

I have a P55A-UD3, and I have the loud noise at load as well. I've seen others with the same noise on this board also. And, there is a new revision of this board out.

I hope there is a fix, the more voltage I put on my core the louder the squeal is at load!
Check this link out and ask your questions on that form, it the only place I can find that there trying to get something done.http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,1426.msg8914.html#msg8914

i believe it is not only limited to the x58 boards, but other gigabyte boards as well. the motherboard in my signature has a low annoying squealing noise no matter how low i put the voltage at 3.6GHZ or 4GHZ. at stock settings, go figure, there is no squealing noise as everything is fine.

depending on how gigabyte handles this situation, i might consider switching to another motherboard brand when i do another upgrade in the future.

LINK:http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=1426.240

QUOTE:No Rev. 2 does not fix the whining noise, Gigabyte's beta bios does not fix it either.. Best thing to do is return the Gigabyte board and get an Asus X58 premium E board. Alot better than Gigabyte.

I second... it will probably be solved with Rev. 3. Don't think it will come out soon so it's better to consider Asus X58 at the moment.

I was going to start a new thread about this (old posts from over a year ago were lumped together with posts about me deciding which motherboard to get). Then I saw this thread, and it doesn't look like the supposed fix from Gigabyte works.

The high pitched squealing noise has always occurred (varying in intensity regardless of system load or even idling). Since the noise is so unpredictable I haven't been able to record it while it's shrieking out of control - most times it is somewhat drowned out by fan noise, but mainly it's just me trying hard not to notice it. Finally I caught it making more noise than usual (though it is hardly the worse I've heard from this board). MP3: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HVZD6AGV *recorded just above my case

I wish I could RMA this (if it even helps), but this is my primary system and I've heard Gigabyte's turn around time is horrendous.

The latest beta bios does fix this issue, sorry dont know why you guys have so much trouble with Gigabyte, I have never had any probs with them, excellent turn around service with RMA's, and very quick to respond to issues and questions.

The coil whine noise was only reported a couple of months back, you have to give people a chance to find the problem then work on a fix for it, its not going to happen over night.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/gigabyte-latest-bios-28441/index314.html#post359532

NOTE THIS BIOS IS FOR THE REV.1.0 BOARD ONLY, THEY ARE TRYING TO FIX IT ON THE 1ST REVISION BOARD FIRST BEFORE THEN COPYING OVER THE CHANGES TO THE NEWER BOARDS BIOS.

Attachments

• BIOS_X58A-UD3R_1_FVB.zip
    791.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
The latest beta bios does fix this issue, sorry dont know why you guys have so much trouble with Gigabyte, I have never had any probs with them, excellent turn around service with RMA's, and very quick to respond to issues and questions.
I like Gigabyte,:thup:however how do you not have any issues with gigabyte boards, then tell us the RMA's are vary quick, do you work for Gigabyte.

The coil whine noise was only reported a couple of months back, you have to give people a chance to find the problem then work on a fix for it, its not going to happen over night.
I've been trying to help people with that coil whine since 9/21/2009 They should of been working on the problem last year within a week of people complaining, they just started working on it, in May 2010

I was going to start a new thread about this (old posts from over a year ago were lumped together with posts about me deciding which motherboard to get). Then I saw this thread, and it doesn't look like the supposed fix from Gigabyte works.

The high pitched squealing noise has always occurred (varying in intensity regardless of system load or even idling). Since the noise is so unpredictable I haven't been able to record it while it's shrieking out of control - most times it is somewhat drowned out by fan noise, but mainly it's just me trying hard not to notice it. Finally I caught it making more noise than usual (though it is hardly the worse I've heard from this board). MP3: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HVZD6AGV *recorded just above my case

I wish I could RMA this (if it even helps), but this is my primary system and I've heard Gigabyte's turn around time is horrendous.
I just did a Gigabyte board RMA' a month ago, it takes 4 weeks plus shipping time, I felt that was to long, there really backed up with RMA's. I heard they have the highest amount of RMA's in the industry.:eh?:

What board do you have?

LOL no I dont work for Gigabyte, I have the GA-x58a-UD3r, and dont have any problems with it, no whining or anything, posts first time everytime, best clocking board ive ever had, ive been Gigabyte fan for most of my building life, and never had any compatability issues with their boards.

Last time I had to RMA a board with them it took about 2 weeks for them to turn it around, im in the UK and GigabyteUK are about a 30 min drive from me, you can actually walk in their and drop your board or whatever off with them.

If you post a technical question to them on their website 99% of the time you have a reply within 24hrs, thats a damn sight quicker than alot of manufacturers ive use in the past, even at some points, mentioning no names (ASUS and DFI), you never get a reply, I threw a £300 DFI motherboard in the trash cos they refused to respond to my RMA requests.

Man are you lucky living in the UK next to Gigabyte:drool:. I've had good luck and bad luck with Gigabyte, however I have had a ongoing nightmare with ASUS quality and support.:bang head:bang head

I just see too many people with problems and I feel for them, because they always seem to send the Gigabyte boards back to people with the same problems, here in the USA.:(

I know what you mean regarding ASUS, they are all based in Milton Keynes, ASUS is next dorr to Gigabyte on the Business park their but dont have a drop off service, and still I had issues RMA'ing products to them, its only cos Gigabyte have a drop off service that I can RMA easily, with any other manufacturer I have to still go throught the same channels as you do.

FVB bios works and doesn't work on my board.

It lessens the "electrical noise" from the board (it does not eliminate it), but it also gives problems with my X-Fi card (crackling, skips/pauses in audio). I'd rather stick with the F5 bios for now till something better comes along before I give up my audio.

their were some reports of it completely eliminating the noise and some reports of it lessening the noise, did you know their is a newer one available, F6j, I can comment on it really as I dont have the noise problem with my board but im using the modded one with the updated Realtek and Intel SATA ROM's, you can find it in my beta bios thread.

after 2 gigabyte x58 boards ive gone to dfi...this is a design flaw on these boards ..crappy chokes........i personally would never buy an x58 giga board...
no excuse for this...stay with asus,msi,biostar,foxconn, really anybody elses x58 but these are really bad boards for x58 from giga....

after 2 gigabyte x58 boards ive gone to dfi...this is a design flaw on these boards ..crappy chokes........i personally would never buy an x58 giga board...
no excuse for this...stay with asus,msi,biostar,foxconn, really anybody elses x58 but these are really bad boards for x58 from giga....

i own a ga-x58a-ud3r that i use as a paper weight because gigabyte refuses to accept an rma on a defective 5 week old motherboard. their cut and paste emails told me that all other hardware attached to it must be the reason for failure to post. it is gigabyte's executive policy to refuse their advertised warranty. i paid for a 3 year warranty when i bought this motherboard and the behavior of gigabyte customer support ammounts to theft of my money.

gigabyte is a corporation that does not care about their customers. they are trying to fix a defective hardware issue with a software update.

in contrast, evga just released the x58 3waysli ftw usb3.0/sata6Gbs motherboard which had issues with a vreg temperature sensor. about two weeks after launch evga tech support recognized the problem and put a sticky up on their forum that offered to do rma's for a replacement motherboard with an updated vreg temperature sensor.

from evga forum:

"*This update is a “Quick Fix” for the high VREG temperature that is displayed when the system is under load, the high temperature displayed (over 100c) is not an accurate reading, the actual operating temperature on average load is between 52-67 degrees Celsius, idle around 40c. EVGA will also offer a “Complete Fix” for those who desire very precise readings. For those who want this option, EVGA will provide an Advanced RMA (EAR) to provide a corrected board with minimum downtime free of charge for those who want the “Complete Fix.”

If you wish to sign up for the “Complete Fix” please send an email to [email protected] with your registered serial number, replacement boards will start shipping the week of the 14th via overnight delivery."

gigabyte will not even replace a NONFUNCTIONING motherboard under their warranty, to say nothing for one with faulty temperature sensors.

Last edited:
Back