• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally! Quegyboe has broken the 2 Ghz barrier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quegyboe

Not that I'm trying to copy another thread or anything :)D) but I just wanted my own spotlight! hehe! I really do love these XP 1700+ Tbred's. 2 Ghz is certainly a nice number! Didn't even have to change the multi or nothing. Very cool.

2ghz.jpg

Nice eh? I'm quite happy now!

Not sure. I think I'm gonna enjoy 2ghz for a little while....maybe a day or two, then I'll try for more. I want 10k 3DMarks damn it!

I have been trying...but for some odd reason, the core and memory won't budge 1 freaking mhz. If I push the core or memory any higher than stock, 3DMark 2001 freezes on the first test. I'm wondering if Sideband Adressing could be causing that? I know Fast Writes was limiting my FSB OC, so maybe Sideband Adressing is limiting my Core/Mem OC?

Well If 3dmark frezzes @ 1 mhz more I would suggest dropping the mhz down 2 or 3 you might get a better score. Sometimes I have notice that I dont get as good of a score in 3dmark when my card is right @ its max compared to when it's just overclocked close to the max. For example my scores will drop @ aroung 290 but I can still run 3dmarks without it failing i can run it up to 295 but 288 gets the best score.

jon, the weird thing is that this card comes STOCK @ 275/550 and won't go any higher. It's not overclocked yet!

Well Overclock it and get your 10K hehe

that is unless you where wanting 10k before overclocking the vcard.

quegyboe said:
jon, the weird thing is that this card comes STOCK @ 275/550 and won't go any higher. It's not overclocked yet!

what proggy are you using to o/c your vid card?

My rig2 in signature reached 3dmark2001 10384. My 8500LE was originally set up at 230/230, I flashed its bios to original retail 8500 bios (1009), now it's running at 275/275. I tried my xp1700+ @ 2.1G, the windows loaded up, but 3dmark2001 failed immediately after launching it.

what proggy are you using to o/c your vid card?
RivaTuner. It states on the RivaTuner website that RivaTuner supports all Radeon cards so I don't see why it wouldn't work. Also, I have NO IDEA what utility to use for tweaking the Radeon. Any recommended?

I have a 1700 "B" that I'm tinkering with in the system in my sig. and you have more room than think with that chip ! With your current temp, i would say set your vcore to 1.85v (watch temps!),vdimm to 2.70 and start raising that FSB slowly. My Kingston PC2700 craps out at 193 fsb. Your,non specified, PC3200 with relaxed timings, will probably fare as well if not better. I found a sweet spot in MY SETUP at [email protected]=2185mhz. No two systems are the same so you might get more or less!

I must say the 1700 "b" chips are a tremdous value and except for benching, would be my " DAILY DRIVER" set at XP2600+specs.

More mhz alone will not boost your 3Dmark scores. My XP2100 "B" processor maxed out at 2532mhz stable for no more than a 20min run, will not increase my score by much over the 13,300 obtained with 2350mhz. Increases in that score will be achieved more with Video card tweaking. Look at the Compare charts on that site and you'll see under 2gig processors with tweaked out 4200 cards scoring14000 and up !

its not the mhz that give you a better 3dmark in overclocking a cpu, its the fsb. and if your card wont overclock try flashing it to a different bios and overclocking it. my le card did 300/300 with stock cooling, unless you have an older 8500 it should overclock at least a little

Hey quegy, why are your memory timings so crappy if it's PC3200? Do you have vdimm voltage options on that board (seeing how it's a Gigabyte board I have a feeling that it doesn't...).

I too have almost the same chip you have and I Maxed it at 2.4Ghz and 2v but I run it at 2ghz because I figure 2v to be a little to much for a .13 chip :)

Copy-cat...copy-cat!!! :p

Nice o/c bud! Congrats on 2GHz. :beer:

I see a lot of people getting 2200 or so from those. Keep pluggin away...yours might too. ;)

Cheers!

B.

Hey quegy, why are your memory timings so crappy if it's PC3200?
My timings are low because there is ABSOLUTLY no difference in performance between cas 3 and cas 2. I've tried both and when I go from slowest timings to the fastest timings, I gain about 5mb/s of bandwidth for each test, according to Sandra 2003. It's pretty weird, but that's how it is. Also, if I keep the timings lower, my system seems to be more stable (since the ram is rated for cas 3-3-3 anyways).

I see a lot of people getting 2200 or so from those. Keep pluggin away...yours might too
Unfortunately, it's not my chip that's stopping me...it's my video card. If I run much higher than what I'm at now, I get errors from atidrv.vxd or something like that. I need an Nforce2 motherboard with AGP/PCI lock!

Back