• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finding the Right Gpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChanceCoats123

d20 in a jacket
I usually see myself on the opposite end of the stick, helping others find the parts they need for their system. But when it comes to this next upgrade, I'm not sure which route to take...

I am getting a 23inch 1920x1080 monitor for Christmas. I currently have an Amd 555 x4 (unlocked) at stock clocks and a 9800GTX+ at stock clocks. I need to wipe my SSD as well as RMA one of my TB drives this holiday season so I am opting to change my 24/7 system to my P8P67 Deluxe + 54x 2600k.

Obviously, the 9800GTX+ will be the bottleneck in the new system, and at high resolutions, I feel like the gpu won't cut it. I'm also looking to try some DX11 (I know it's a gimmick) gaming as well so I am in the market for a new graphics card.

My goal is to be able to play just about anything (I play games like DX:HR, DiRT series, some earlier Crysis as well as the Portal Series and TF2). Nothing too demanding, but I do like my games to look good. Having to turn down AA, AF and detail settings because of FPS issues annoy me, so I want enough power to play on high-maxed settings at 1080p resolutions driven by a 2600k.

Restrictions and advise:

I currently run Nvidia, but I'm a huge Ati fan. However, the latest series of Nvidia cards are impressing my with their price point.
If I do go Ati, I have the possibility of X-Fire at 8x/8x on my motherboard. Nvidia would be limited to a single card.
Price cannot exceed $175 USD
Card must be from a currently operating brand (excludes brands like BFG)
Card can be used, but it must meet my own personal requirements. I would prefer new, but realize that I get more card for my money with used. I'm a member at OCF, OCN, XS, AandT and a few others.

You may now commence recommendations. :D

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Exceed, yeah that one. ;)

I was thinking of a 560 as a possibility. To be honest, I've nothing against grabbing a 5870. That's pretty much the price range right there ($175-190ish) and it would have more than enough power for my needs.

The point of this thread is really to see possible alternatives to something like a 5870 that might use less power, or be more versatile in the future. I might also just splurge a little more (depends on how the holiday season goes) and grab a 570. My birthday is in January. ;)

Id get a 570 over a 470. The 570 runs a heck of alot cooler than the 470.
With fan on auto my 470 will idle at 70*c or so. Fan at 55% gets it down to 55*c at idle. And thats with 24*c ambient temps.

Id get a 570 over a 470. The 570 runs a heck of alot cooler than the 470.
With fan on auto my 470 will idle at 70*c or so. Fan at 55% gets it down to 55*c at idle. And thats with 24*c ambient temps.

400 series was already out of the question. Power hogs and heat monsters are not what I'm looking for. However the 500 series does offer some very nice alternatives with much lower power consumption and heat production. A 560Ti/570 is definitely an option.

I thought about that as an option (not that exact card, but the 6870 option) and I liked it. Similar power to the 5850 and less than the 5870 with much lower power consumption as well.

I'm going to take a look see at some 560 vs. 570 graphs and see if I can't find a low $200's 570. :shrug:

you just missed a deal that Ed posted in the deals thread. 5870 for $145 shipped and brand new, I picked one up and just got it in yesterday. If you can give me a week and a half to play with it I would pass it on for the same and cover shipping to you. If you arent interested thats cool, as its a nice backup for me as it sits, other than getting some points going again

there is one 560ti from msi in the classies for $200, it is a highly tweak-able MSI hawk.

I saw that and did some research. It's a shame even the 560Ti is nothing compared to a 5870. I figure I'll probably wait and grab Jonnie's. It's the best deal I'm going to find, and compared to the cards we've been talking about, it's only bested by the 570. And that's twice the price.

did you also see the 6950 2gb cards too? not a bad price IMO, i paid 200 for my 6950 1gb about 2-3 months ago.

I saw the 6950's, and those would be sweet especially if they unlocked to 6970 shaders, but still, that's $55 more for what? Slightly better FPS/benchmark results and about 20 watts less at load? I'd rather take that $55 and put it into something else nice for my system.

Back