• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

(Finished) My first DICE Experience - Now with Pictures!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
livestream: janus67

Hopefully this will work, we will see. I'll have a buddy over as well to check it out.

The benching will be all 2d as I will just be on a S775 board. I am starting with an E6300, if everything goes well I may move onto a E6750 or my new (to me) Q6600.

Hardware:
Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
Intel E6300 under a Koolance V1
Cell Shock D9
And a lovely ATI X300 for some mad 3d boints.

Last edited:
To embed a livestream:
[lstream]streamname[lstream]

Streamname, in this case, is janus67

I'd stick with just one chip unless you bought a tremendous amount of dry ice, it takes hours to get a chip fully dialed in and all the various benches tweaked.

I bought about 10 lbs, we will see how long that lasts. now to do some last minute reading on s775 OCing that I may have forgotten over time.

10lbs should last 5-6 hours usually (from my experience; different pots may have different evap rates for it).

Also, what Cellshock kit is that? I would love to get my hands on some Cellshock ddr2.:D

Good luck with the benching though, and remember to insulate really well.:thup:

thanks for all of the help everyone. walked away with about 40 boints and a lot of knowledge to remember next time. Maybe tomorrow I'll go buy some more dice and cool down a q6600 or an e6550.

Yep, note to others, don't use a wooden pencil to stir the pot. I didn't think about it and put it down on my desk between stirs, I now have orange/yellow lines on my desk from the acetone covering the pencil!

Found a decent amount of condensation on the pot but no moisture got anywhere other than on the paper towels that covered the outside of the pot. So good news there!

Final results:
CPU-Z 3.856ghz for 12.7pts
Superpi 1M 14.687 for 15.5pts
Wprime32M 22.93sec for 9.5pts
Wprime1024M 12m 8.671 for 2.2pts :(
Pifast 26.17 for 1.8pts :(

Last edited:
Now for some pictures!

Installing my stripped XP OS on air before taking it cold:
OSInstallAir.jpg

I started off taking the motherboard (GA-EP45-UD3R Rev1) and made a rough template around the processor marking off where the capacitors are/etc.
PaperTemplate.jpg

I then used that template to cut out two copies of some Frost King (pipe insulation) and stuck one ontop of the other to get a decent/thick seal. Then placed it around the CPU socket noting anywhere that the capacitors/etc needed to be cut out any more.
FrontInsulation.jpg

Some remnants of the Frost King after cutting out the CPU socket, etc.
FrostKing.jpg

I then did a similar thing as to the Frost King but I used some Neoprene (bought from McMaster) and cut out the template but ignoring the capacitor cut outs as those need to be covered.
FrontInsulationwithNeoprene.jpg

After that was done I re-did it for the back side of the CPU socket. You can also see the rear-mounting plate for the CPU pot
SideAngleRear.jpg

Another shot of the back:
Back.jpg

Bottom of the CPU-pot before mounting it:
ShinyBottom.jpg

Inside of the pot:
EmptyPot.jpg

To mount I used some Arctic Silver Ceramique. Which unfortunately my buddy dropped my brand new tube the day before and snapped the tip off of it :( Here's my feable attempt and gorilla-gluing it to itself. It still worked... kind of, but then I ended up putting the cap on too far and it ripped the top off later.
Ceramique.jpg

Before mounting the pot I cut out some Shop Towel with a CPU socket hole and put that down then put the pot ontop of it.
WithTowel.jpg

The pot didn't come with any retention springs so I had to guesstimate with how hard to have it down onto the CPU. I kept it as long as it had a difficult time tightening. I then measured how far down on the screws it was on the thumbscrews and took note of it.
MeasureScrews.jpg

After that I put some Acetone into the bottom of the pot (about a shot-glass worth) and scooped in a bit of dry ice to bring the temps down on the CPU.
Bubbles.jpg

Unfortunately my thermometer hadn't come in yet so I had to go by guesses/time and BIOS read-outs.

-70C.jpg

In-progress:

InProgress.jpg

And here it is after the clean-up (I had wrapped more shop towel around the pot to absorb any condensation/moisture - which was good because it started to rain and got even more humid in my office).
Cleanup.jpg

From my guessing it kept it pretty cool at the right times. Overall it was a fun experience and I'll see when I can get it going again. I can't wait to test my hand at LN2 cooling but that will be sometime way down the line.

Last edited:
Not streaming this one (hanging out in TJ's stream) but am benching my Q6600. I got it to 4.815ghz which puts me at #46 I believe

How'd your latest benching session go?

Nice pictures by the way, man. They look awesome, glad you didn't kill anything your first session. :p

going pretty well, I have about 70boints worth at the moment. Unfortunately PCMark05 won't install on my stripped xp machine for some reason so I will miss some points from that. I got my Q6600 to 4.814 though to put me in at #46. Will see if I can squeeze any more out of it.

Got up to 4.861 for a decent bump to tie at 35.

doing 1024m right now.

Last edited:
going pretty well, I have about 70boints worth at the moment. Unfortunately PCMark05 won't install on my stripped xp machine for some reason so I will miss some points from that. I got my Q6600 to 4.814 though to put me in at #46. Will see if I can squeeze any more out of it.

Got up to 4.861 for a decent bump to tie at 35.

doing 1024m right now.

Glad to hear it man. Was PCMark05 giving you any errors?

It wouldn't install for me :( saying im missing a file, guessing something that I stripped out of windows

The XP I stripped myself from a XPSP3 disk using the guide at OCN. I may need to try out TinyXP to see if that will work for me, but in two days I've gone through 20lbs of DICE.

Update on today:

CPU-Z 4968.63 for 24.2pts
SuperPi 1M 10.625 for 23.5pts
WPrime32 9.031 for 21.3pts
WPrime1024 4m 49.360 for 21.2pts
PiFast 20.33 for 19.7pts
SuperPi 32M 11m 38.953 for 14.6

Total pointage: 124.5 points.

Overall I think this chip can do more but my RAM would hold me back at high speeds. I bet this chip could get past 5ghz if my RAM could go past 550 but it would crap out even with 2.5V (and 1.66V on vcore)

I need help with 32M me thinks!

Last edited:
Back