• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First AMD Build-using AsRock 939 dual

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ochungry said:
Radioshack sells 15watts for $9 I think. but have to buy a narrow tip for it too ($1.50 I think). they have several, make sure you get the one that is narrow shaft and 15 watts.
I dont know any other way, except the nailpolish method.

Edit: I was wrong. Its only $7.99 and it already has a narrow tip
http://www.radioshack.com/product/i.../00000999&kw=soldering+iron&parentPage=search

EDIT2: I have not tried this, but it is interesting, for 97c cents. maybe heating a coathanger would work w/ this?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/i.../00000399&kw=soldering+iron&parentPage=search
EDIT3: you can buy the same kind of resistors (SMD's ) that looks exactly like the resistor # 1 from Fry's and glue it on top of existing using that silver paste on the ends (or conductive pen). This might work and is less trouble, + inexpensive. A 1k resistor will give you about 2.82v. a 800ohm should give you 2.85-2.90. This is mounting right on top of Resistor #1 (do not remove existing).

I seem to have lost the link to the procedures... with pics.
I'll dig around..
How can you tell if the vdimm mod is sucessful? are you using a Multimeter? I have a bunch of test equip---fluke etc... Wht contact points are being measured and when (power off or on?)?
I'd rather go with the best method.... For 7.99 no brainer
Is there a list of what I need...
Resister...
What type of solder....etc????
I have to go to Radio shack anyway....

Last edited:
rebelranger said:
I seem to have lost the link to the procedures... with pics.
I'll dig around..
How can you tell if the vdimm mod is sucessful? are you using a Multimeter? I have a bunch of test equip---fluke etc... Wht contact points are being measured and when (power off or on?)?
I'd rather go with the best method.... For 7.99 no brainer
Is there a list of what I need...
Resister...
What type of solder....etc????
I have to go to Radio shack anyway....
Use voltmeter. You can solder a wire to vdimm read pin and measure vdimm outside the case. It is safer this way. No chance of contact w/ other component during measuring and shorting/frying any component.
The vdimm measure is in tight spot also.

this screenshot shows where to measure vdimm (first pic yellow arrow pointing to it). go to bottom of the page "variable voltage" and you see resistor # 2.
here is the voltmod thread and all the links and screenshots are on openning post.
If using variable resistor (trimmer), buy a 1k or 2K trimmer, the rectagngular blue color for $2.55.
Buy this solder radioshack. it's .o15 diam 1.0oz
buy this flux. You probably can get it cheaper @ HomeDepot.
buy wick. could find the link in radioshack, but here is Fry's. a $3 should do it
If you solder a SMD resistor (same kind as #2 resistor in the picture), fry's has them. get the lowest watt and a 1k or 800 ohm should do it. they are very cheap. Maybe about 25cents.
That silver paste i linked before (97 cents from radioshack) may come handy. It might work as a substitute for conductive pen ($12) to short VVID pins for the vcore mod.
Let me know if I missed any other info.
EDIT: If you solder a wire to vdimm measuring soldering pin, solder the other end of wire into a empty molex to make it easier sticking voltmeter red pen into the molex. it also safer-no chance for contact to case or others. I also soldered a sowing needle to the red pen(positive) of voltmeter to make incision accuracy for voltage measuring of any board's component.

EDIT: was changed to "resistor #2"

Last edited:
ochungry said:
Use voltmeter. You can solder a wire to vdimm read pin and measure vdimm outside the case. It is safer this way. No chance of contact w/ other component during measuring and shorting/frying any component.
The vdimm measure is in tight spot also.

this screenshot shows where to measure vdimm (first pic yellow arrow pointing to it). go to bottom of the page "variable voltage" and you see resistor # 1.
here is the voltmod thread and all the links and screenshots are on openning post.
If using variable resistor (trimmer), buy a 1k or 2K trimmer, the rectagngular blue color for $2.55.
Buy this solder radioshack. it's .o15 diam 1.0oz
buy this flux. You probably can get it cheaper @ HomeDepot.
buy wick. could find the link in radioshack, but here is Fry's. a $3 should do it
If you solder a SMD resistor (same kind as #1 resistor in the picture), fry's has them. get the lowest watt and a 1k or 800 ohm should do it. they are very cheap. Maybe about 25cents.
That silver paste i linked before (97 cents from radioshack) may come handy. It might work as a substitute for conductive pen ($12) to short VVID pins for the vcore mod.
Let me know if I missed any other info.
EDIT: If you solder a wire to vdimm measuring soldering pin, solder the other end of wire into a empty molex to make it easier sticking voltmeter red pen into the molex. it also safer-no chance for contact to case or others. I also soldered a sowing needle to the red pen(positive) of voltmeter to make incision accuracy for voltage measuring of any board's component.

Do you have a pic of your sewing needle option..?

Even a pic of the completed-before and after would be nice..

rebelranger said:
Do you have a pic of your sewing needle option..?
I just sent you a PM. Its about resistor #1. It is #2 not #1.
Sorry about that. Anywhere you see I "said resistor #1", change it to #2.
Its the one mrked 122 on top of it. Sorry for misprint/boboo.
I dont have a degital camera. It is the red pen of the voltmeter. mine is as thick as a nail so I soldered a needle to it. about 1/4 overlap. very easy to do. takes good amount holding the iron on it and lots of solder.

OK, I edited a voltmeter screenshot to show how it would look like w/ needle.
screenshot

Last edited:
ochungry said:
I just sent you a PM. Its about resistor #1. It is #2 not #1.
Sorry about that. Anywhere you see I "said resistor #1", change it to #2.
Its the one mrked 122 on top of it. Sorry for misprint/boboo.
I dont have a degital camera. It is the red pen of the voltmeter. mine is as thick as a nail so I soldered a needle to it. about 1/4 overlap. very easy to do. takes good amount holding the iron on it and lots of solder.

OK, I edited a voltmeter screenshot to show how it would look like w/ needle.
screenshot

I get it... I see the needle.
I have a similar needle point on the Fluke that I have so it should be easy.
What's on your system?

Aha... that needle trick is a good one. I need to get some extra red line probes, mine are removable(cords).So I can do the needle one. I have an SMT grabber clip on mine right now, used to have a gator clip on the end, before the stock thick guage probe was removed. I just keeping resoldering the end to fit my needs.

Jame Gumb said:
Aha... that needle trick is a good one. I need to get some extra red line probes, mine are removable(cords).So I can do the needle one. I have an SMT grabber clip on mine right now, used to have a gator clip on the end, before the stock thick guage probe was removed. I just keeping resoldering the end to fit my needs.
The good thing about needle is that it is sharp point and some of those traces, and solder pads are rounded smooth and slippery. the sharp point penetrates just enough to grab/hold, avoiding sliping off and hitting other nearby components(that may cause short).

One observation:
The case I have is really incredible!
Losts of space, a tool box (may remove for ventalation). Big 120mmfans.. So far I've had no issues with removing face plates or Video card length.

I'm going to mount my HDDs with rubber bands to remove possible vibration. Suspend them with rubberbands secured by pencils on the outside. I saw this in this months Maximum PC!!
Any way great case!
See:
Gigabyte

A review

OK had a little difficulty with the RAID config but I'm up and running..

Tonight I will push the limits and begin the OC process. This was a really simple build and no major setbacks or delays other than work and movies!!

I'm using a basic OC guide found in the AMD processor section for information and OCH's world famous post 490 to tweak the bios...

hey just a quick question about this board. is it bad to have the sb and nb set to auto in the bios?

asrock 939 dual sata2
patriot signature 512x2
3000 venice

im at 290x9 now, but 295 and 300 both freeze and lock up during p95.

only settings i changed was, ram voltage to high, and maxed the cpu volts out and changed timmings to 2.5-3-3-7.

rebelranger said:
OK had a little difficulty with the RAID config but I'm up and running..

Tonight I will push the limits and begin the OC process. This was a really simple build and no major setbacks or delays other than work and movies!!

I'm using a basic OC guide found in the AMD processor section for information and OCH's world famous post 490 to tweak the bios...
great.
Did you do any voltmod?

killerkid said:
hey just a quick question about this board. is it bad to have the sb and nb set to auto in the bios?

asrock 939 dual sata2
patriot signature 512x2
3000 venice

im at 290x9 now, but 295 and 300 both freeze and lock up during p95.

only settings i changed was, ram voltage to high, and maxed the cpu volts out and changed timmings to 2.5-3-3-7.
It's better to do it manually since you have overclcoked.
set them both to 800 (4x) and 16 bits.
are you using didider for the memory speed?
what is the memory speed? cpuz will show the speed.

yes im using the 133mhz divider, and cpuz says its 186.5 for the frequency, however p95 passes the small ftts and the large ftts it doesnt pass the blend test...hmm

killerkid said:
yes im using the 133mhz divider, and cpuz says its 186.5 for the frequency, however p95 passes the small ftts and the large ftts it doesnt pass the blend test...hmm
ok then, you might need more vcore voltage. but try the nb/sb @ 4x and see if helps. if not I am almost positive your lacking vcore.
Find the highest stable speed and go from there.
you may just need less than 1.55v and just the VID mod (OCW voltmod), which is very easy and simple. check the voltmod thread here for Asrock.

ok, i went ahead and set the nb and sb to 800 and 16bit on both, i think the reason p95 failed on me during the blend that time is because i noticed i had the vcore set to auto instead of 1.45. I had to do a cmos clear because i found my max htt and forgot to set vcore back. Anyways, hopefully we can hit 290x9 stable here.

quick off topic question if its alright, ive got a fortron 350 watt will that run my x1800xt? I know it recommends 450watts...but its fortron lol.

killerkid said:
quick off topic question if its alright, ive got a fortron 350 watt will that run my x1800xt? I know it recommends 450watts...but its fortron lol.

Killer,

Go here and check out your wattage:

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

I did a quick check with your known components and some overclocking and got about 315w, not much overhead to play with. Try it, you may be ok. You can always order a bigger PS.

Personally, you're putting out some good money for a new build. A PS is not an area to skimp on. A good one isn't that expensive.

Back